I have to say that HEF is a great spot for information, or just shooting the bull. I joined the F150 forum years ago to get some info about my fathers 96 F150. The question sat unanswered for over a year. When I finally got notice of a response, It was to belittle my wording of the question. Shortly after I was told it was a 1996, not a 96, and if I just looked back a few years I would probably find an answer. My take was that my post was not worth answering, even thought it had been viewed several hundred times. Jump to the present. Posted a question about my 2013s IWE. Lots of views, no response. Not even a look at this post. Even tried to help another guy with a similar unanswered post, by sharing what I found on my own so far. I think that OP may have got tired of waiting as well. I have posted questions, and statements on here and always got some kind of response, even if it was not the answer.
I have had several sites not answer at all.
Go over to ATHS-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ghost Town------Booooooooooo. Even if you don't get the total answer here--the entertainment is worth it.
It’s been years since I was on there. At one time is was a good place and I was really into the older trucks. It began to fizzle a bit and I also think the age group that was really making ATHS thrive have moved on (the morbid kind lol)....there isn’t a generation following them that’s into the old stuff at the level they were. Plus if I recall there was a big stink over how they were using membership funds via the real estate and library not to mention a pi$$ing contest with the higher ups. That was all secondhand info from Tocci as it occurred long after I lost interest. The only other forum I’ve found that is as good as this one is the Outdoor Power Equipment forum. For a chainsaw nut like me it’s awesome. Great people.
Actually Facebook killed it in a bunch of ways. But your right the membership died off--literally.----Here lies double clutch'in bob and over there lies two stick bill.
One of the guys Tocci and I knew up in KS recently passed. He wasn’t that old, early 60’s. Had tons of Mack stuff. Bought a lot from Al. Had some old Mack cabover cabs still on the pallets never used. With Al not having family I think he’s tried real hard to make sure I know the story of his trucks, what stuff is rare and worth. Now that your Mack is almost done....you need the A-car. It’ll be the last, last truck
Ah-I don't think so on the A-car or any other car. But thanks for the offer-when are you and the dm going to drive northwesterly?
Soon I hope. We’ve discussed it several times. His schedule is easy to work around....mine not so much lol. I think it’s time for us to make firm plans to come up, maybe this summer. Make a point to harass Hallback too while we’re out there. See if he can talk me into relocating lol.
That would be a good move, get out of the flat lands. lol
It would be a change for sure. Never lived anywhere but central time lol. Been to 47 of the lower 48 and half of Canada. I’d sure dig the logging stuff.
I agree @cuttin edge this place is great! I've lucked out with forums over the years and have managed to find several that, at the time, were active, useful, and informative. HEF follows that trend by being full of hugely knowledgeable people who are interesting to talk to and read from, and that's also with me only visiting about a quarter or less of the topics. It's really nice to have a community that is willing to help and just BS about their experiences. I've certainly seen other forums where the bickering levels are insane and people would rather have pissing contests than be friendly or helpful. Merry Christmas Y'all!
I'd like to say thanks to the moderators who keep this communications device free of the invective that seems to permeate so many other forums. That is the main reason this place has stayed so active and fun to read and share on. Thank you
Your right, the mods ARE on top of these threads for the most part.. I’ve gotten a prvt msg or 3 telling me to “kool my jets”.. when I needed reeling in.. lol This place is great.!! I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again.. Where else can you post a question at 8:00pm, go to bed and wake up at 6:00am, w/ the answer to your problem from a guy that’s 3000 miles away.??!!!
Heck TPG you helped me out and I'm over 12000 miles away .
What takes you so long.
I've been doing forums for 15+ years, I'm one of the staff on a large RV forum and the administrator on a Jeep forum. We see the occasional keyboard warrior who's goal in life is to be the expert and final authority on everything. This guy would publicly respond that the person isn't taking a dump the correct or most efficient way. These people are grossing annoying. On the two forums I moderate we keep a close eye on everything, the Jeep forum members know i will not tolerate any personal attacks or insults. "Criticize ideas and not people." The trouble makers usually quickly move on to plague another forum. We could tell when one guy on the RV forum was off his meds, he would get quite bizarre and get a time-out. This has been a great and friendly place for me even though I'm just a rancher and not professionally associated with heavy equipment. The depth and breath of knowledge here is quite amazing.
No I don't think so.
I’ve been on several forums in the last 10-12 years. I still come to HEF and one other but that one is slowly dying due to Facebook groups. It’s too bad. That one had a great group of guys but you better have broad shoulders and think skin. I’m glad HEF is still going strong and hope it stays that way.
I just wish I'd known of this forum earlier, not sure when it stated but did check and see I joined in 2012. So I was only here for three years before I retired. Unfortunately the majority of my experience working on this equipment was on machines that are for the most part sitting in scrapyards. So my ability to be of any real help is rather limited But at least I can be good for some comic relief at times I hope! A bit off topic but still related to online forums back in the late `80's and early`90's I was on a mailing list, yea none of this fancy stuff with pretty pictures and such, it was for Harley Sportsters. In many ways it was like this place you could post a question and three or four guys would reply with the info you needed or saying hey if you need a stock fender I have one I took off $30 bucks it yours. Give me an address and I'll put it in the mail, send check to the return address on the box! The Facebook version of that I tried a couple times and after a week ditched it.
Hef is one of the best places on the web for pure information just Google what your looking for and hef is in the first 20 results usually And because of moderators and really good people who contribute it seems it will stay that way
Totally in agreement that this is a great place to hangout and hangout I do. Almost my favorite reading is done on here. Information is great. Humor is awesome (when I understand what was being said). If I were smart enough to contribute I would so for me, I just try to understand what’s being passed around. Thanks for knowledgeable willing folks to assist those of us not so fortunate. Yellow iron is fun to play with. Wish I had figured that out years ago. Tractors were what I started out on. Too broke to upgrade so now I have a little of each...but still broke.
Good timing for this one. I really got to get back on here more. Especially now that I'm going to be looking for information to pull and rebuild a perkins injection pump. I've had trouble with Ford forums myself. I made the mistake of saying I knew the difference between caliper guide pins and pistons.
hahaha! I KNEW I knew your name from somewhere
Perkins injection pump.?? Perkins never made an injection pump.. CAV made the injection pump that went on a Perkins engine..& called it a DPA pump.. The style was so impressive that it went on several engine manufacturers engines.. including Ford.. The removal is quite simple..
Ah, right! I remember you from that other forum
I'm ahead of myself. It's a friends Bobcat that he tells me is a Perkins, could be a perkapillar. I don't know who CAV is. That I don't know enough about. He was nervous about the timing and that. I think alot of that is that he's gotten too much information from too many places. Either way, I told him when it gets done I for sure want to be there. I'm always trying to involve myself anyplace it sounds like there's a chance to learn something new
Smart money says.. ASK before doing anything.. Tell him to get the pump #’s off the name plate or a pic before “trying”..
I hear that. I'm not going to get in over my head. He says he's got a service manual, and a guy that knows how to do it. Right now it's being able to get everybody together from 2 different states and travel restrictions and such. I'm mostly finding out what I can so it's easier to follow what this guy is doing. While I was looking to see what I could find out about CAV I found a factory instructional film about the DPA pump. They're pretty interesting how they work