The manual for my Case 580M specifies using Loctite 270 on the bolts that hold the ring gear to the swivel housing. I was able to remove the original bolts without heat, so I question the use of permanent threadlocker in this application. Any wisdom?
Talked to the pros at my local Case dealer. They use red loctite.
Loctite 270 is not nearly as permanent as red loctite. 270 melts at 300° Fahrenheit. I would use red on a ring and pinion gear set-up.
Green is great for holding a bearing race in place which is slightly loose in it's bore. I would use red as Tinkerer states and I have several times in the past. Ensure everything is clean and dry before use.
I used to tie-wire ring gear bolts back in the day by the 100's. I still have my tie-wire pliers and the carpel tunnel from using them so much.
Thanks for the comments. I have the hub apart to address an oil leak. I'm pretty sure it's the big hub-to-swivel seal. I was losing oil in the hub but not the front differential. That told me the leak was a hub seal rather than the differential axle seal. I also replaced the Hytran in the hub with 85W140 gear oil before disassembly which confirmed that the leak was in the hub. The fact that the oil level drops below the level of the hub axle seal tells me it's the big seal rather than the axle seal. I hope to get everything back together this week.