Greetings I have a cat marine engine question, but I don't see a category to post it under. Any ideas where I should post?
whats Your question? The mods can move it if they want to.
I just purchased a 3408 cat marine engine, It has no serial number tag and I can't seem to locate it stamped in numbers on the block. It is not electronic type. It has the pencil type injectors so it's a later model. Im just wondering where else I might find the serial number and arrangement number..
Post some photos of it please. Take a look at the LH side of the cylinder block just forward of the flywheel housing. Also check if there is a Part Number and or Serial Number tag on the turbo(s).
will do that tomorrow when its light outside, thanks
Can I suggest that you look all over the engine and note the details of any parts that have numbers cast into them (I'm thinking things such as air inlet elbows to the turbos, oil pan, front gear cover, etc, etc). Also the engine S/N might just be stamped on the cylinder block right behind the starter motor if it is on the LH side of the engine. A mirror might help you look down the back, or remove the starter for a look - your choice. No sign of a plate on the valve cover I suppose.? There are not too many choices for a 3408 Marine Engine. Did it come from a prime propulsion application or a generator set.?
Here is what I have so far
1 more, I will start with part numbers next if need be and this is main propulsion
OK, so the last photo is the casting Date Code on the Cylinder Block. It was cast on the 11th of January 2007. With that sort of manufacturing date I imagine it could possibly be a replacement block which is why you are having difficulty finding an engine Serial Number on it. It is also entirely possible that if it is a replacement block it may have come from a different engine application other than a marine one. 112-7509 is the casting number for the cylinder block. "-3-" indicates that it is Change Level 03 or CHG03 as it is usually written. So digging into a obscure system I have actually found a reference to a 112-7509 cylinder block. This was only used on a 3408C Marine Propulsion Engine of Serial Number prefix 1TS, so at least we have a starting point. Production of this particular model started in the US in 1996. Also 1TS engines with Serial Numbers somewhere around 1TS03300 have a manufacturing date around May 2007, so that would fit. To be honest were are more likely to be able to chase down what the engine is by casting numbers from some of the "secondary" parts such as the ones I listed earlier. There is the reason I didn't ask for information from the cylinder block.... Try looking at these items. I'll give you a few Part Numbers. Oil Pan - 8N-4595 Turbocharger - 1W-5825 (This could be key to discovering exactly what Arrangement & Engine Power Rating your specific engine has.) Front Timing Gear Housing - 172-9314
Moving on a little, assuming that the engine is a 3408C 1TS then there are 5 different possible Performance Ratings. See attachment.
Another question. Is it air or electric start.? The majority of 1TS engines appear to have been built with air start. Last engine built was 1TS03375 on 3rd December 2007.
turbo # OR-6364 its a cat reman will look for oil pan and timing cover tomorrow lots of coats of paint on the engine
electric 24v
Take a VERY close look at the fuel injection pump #9. There should be a metal tag on it (probably covered in paint if what you say about the rest of the engine is correct). You may need to use paint remover to get it off but you need all the numbers you can find from that tag.
Reman for 1W-5285 as I mentioned in in Post #9 above. So that checks out. The Fuel Injection Pump is going to be the key, because the only difference between all the Engine Arrangements listed in the attachment I posted earlier is basically the FIP, fuel injectors & Governor
All this talk about this marine engine and unless I missed it you didn't say what it was in. Being it's a 3408 I'm guessing not your every day "Party Barge"!
N3742 is a part number on the injector pump they are raised not stamped
No. What I'm referring to is a data plate (probably riveted on to the pump somewhere), not cast numbers on the pump body. Is the engine currently in a state where you can run it.?
commercial trawler
not running
How about some photos of the complete engine taken from various angles.? It's amazing sometimes what people who know what they are looking for can see from a photo.
MNND00 is on the injector pump tag
Can you take a photo of it.?
the tag riveted on the injector pump has the following MNNDOO I am having trouble uploading a photo, I will keep working on it
This is the only tag riveted on