I have a grey market 312 that the shut off solenoid burned up on, I ordered a new one but as so as I energized it it pulls which turns off excavator, any ideas? I tried swapping wires like cat said that and no luck
Can you start with the Serial Number of the machine please. From that we might just be able to cross-reference it to a US model as far as spare parts go, and maybe even come up with an electrical schematic that should have the part number of the shutoff solenoid shown on it.
7dk0058
There's a digit missing. There should be five numbers after the "7DK", you only have four.
7dk50048
I don't think that's a kosher number. Did you mean 7DK00548.? That would make more sense. Sorry for insisting but there are two series of the 7DK model - Early and Late. It's important to know which one you have because the shutoff solenoid Part Numbers are different depending on whether the machine is an Early or a Late model.
So the machine Serial Number is confirmed and it is an Early model. What Part Number of shutdown solenoid did you buy.?
5i-7518
Genuine Cat or "will fit".? A search revealed I recommended you buy a Parts Manual a while ago. Did you get one and is 5I-7518 the P/N it shows.?
No after market but cat said that's the one
The Part Number is correct as far as I can tell. The aftermarket one may have the correct P/N marked on the box but I wouldn't like to take bets on whether or not it works the same way as the original. My suggestion would be to buy a genuine OEM one of the same Part Number.
The one I bought pulls as soon as it's energized, do we know if they are suppose to push or pull?
All I know is that the OEM solenoid is energized from the shutdown relay via wire 327-PK to shut down the engine. Is there any chance your shutdown relay is stuck in the "on" position.?
Do you have a part number
Or a picture of what it looks like
It would actually be stuck in the off position
9X-8124. See the attachment for location. Don't get hung up with the title of "starter relay" in the parts list - it is definitely the stop relay. Refer to the electrical schematic, this is how it is supposed to work. 1. The three wires 109-OR have permanent battery power provided the 7N-0718 master disconnect switch is in the ON position. 2. When the wire 332-BU, which connects the 4I-5383 Engine/Pump Control Unit, is grounded it pulls in the shutdown relay coil which energizes wire 327-PK to move the shutdown solenoid and cut off the fuel to stop the engine. 3. When the key switch in the cab is moved to the ON position (then to the START position and back to ON again when the engine is started) wire 332-BU is open circuit and remains that way all the time the engine is running. The relay remains inactive. 4. When the key switch is turned to the OFF position, the Engine/Pump Control unit creates a path to ground on wire 332-BU for approximately 10 seconds. This should be more than enough for the engine to come to a complete stop. At the end of the 10 seconds the wire 332-BU should go open circuit again.
So if it was bad could it cause it to stay on the off position keeping machine from running
Find wire 332-BU at the shutoff relay and check to see if it has continuity to ground at all times irrespective of the position of the key switch or the master disconnect switch. If it does then the Eng/Pump Control Unit is defective.
So how do I do this test
You're not good with electrics I take it.? In that case it would probably be quicker & easier to get hold of someone who is.
Cat is a 2 hour ride for parts but I found this one, will it work its 24 volts
You don’t even know what’s wrong yet. If the Eng/Pump control is defective then changing a solenoid is not going to fix the problem. The E/P Control is what signals the solenoid to operate.
Cat told me to try disconnecting wire 332 and turn key switch on to check for power on pink wire which was only 8 volts
There should be no power at all on the pink wire with the key in the ON position. From that it appears the solenoid could be dodgy. You need a 9X-8124. Physically it must be quite a small item, it's not like it is being asked to power a starter motor. I have no idea what they look like so cannot comment on your photo above. EDIT: Found a photo.
Ecm must be bad do u have a part number
Original Part Number is 4I-5383. There are updated numbers 106-0102 or 106-0167. Any of the three will work. Cat also sell a Reman control under Part Number 30R-0045. I think you need to be sitting down when you ask the price........ A work-around is possible because all that is needed to operate the 9X-8124 shutdown relay, thus activating the shutdown solenoid, is a connection to ground from terminal "L" of the relay. First the 332-BU wire should be disconnected from terminal "L" of the shutoff relay and taped up out of the way. Then run a new wire from the "L" terminal to one terminal of a switch in the cab. A push-button horn switch switch should work just fine. Connect the other terminal of the switch to machine frame ground. What you have now. What you need. To stop the engine simply press the push button switch until the engine stops then turn the key switch to the OFF position. .
Is it possible altinator is sending wrong signal
So long as the system is charging (have you checked it.?) the alternator is the least likely suspect.
It's charging but the light on monitor says it's not
Well before dropping over $1000 on a new engine/pump controller I think you need an auto-electrician to check out the complete electrical/electronic system. There’s only so much that can be advised on from a distance.