Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grinders.

Truck Shop · 2023-10-26 21:42
Replies25
  1. #1skyking12023-10-26 21:58

    I remember when it was the 7" grinder that scared you, but the little ones with a cutoff tool are wicked for sure. good video.

  2. #2ianjoub2023-10-26 22:30

    Oh, what a pussy. God gave us 10 fingers so we have some to spare

  3. #3OzDozer2023-10-26 23:32

    Those ones are just toys, they just give you a playful nick every now and then! If you want a real weapon, a big ol' 9 inch angle grinder is the beast to kill yourself with! I got an old 9 inch Hitachi angle grinder, it's 2HP and it literally tears itself out of your grip upon startup, with crank-up torque! But the part that really gets your attention is, it has a lousy design on-off switch, which fails regularly - and when it fails, it jams ON!! Nothing like a runaway 9 inch grinder to really concentrate your attention span!! I have a strict rule about grinders. I never commence any serious grinding job after mid-afternoon, when you're starting to get tired, your attention span is dropping, and your concentration ability is affected. Every single time I've gouged myself with a grinder, it was late afternoon, I was tired, attention span and concentration was down - and the grinder took the opportunity to lunge at me!! I treat them all the same as if I'm handling a highly venomous black snake - 'cos they're every bit as dangerous as each other! Here's another "angle", too. How many of you take little notice of where the grinding particles are going? Those particles are largely carborundum as well as iron - and they will destroy fine-quality tools, engines and components, if you let them get anywhere near those items! I cringe when I see guys using angle grinders on items held in lathe chucks - with the grinding particles ending up in the bed and slides! A recipe for rapid lathe wear! I've seen a company rebuilding engines in a workshop where they didn't have a "clean room" for engine rebuilding. They had guys up the far end of the workshop using angle grinders. They ended up with a number of engine "re-do's", because grinding particles got into the engines they were rebuilding, and the engines promptly failed due to carborundum particles in the lube system!

  4. #4cfherrman2023-11-01 11:49

    I just hit my finger with a cut off disc a month ago, still healing from that one. I can give ya pics of ya want, they are not graphic.

  5. #5Truck Shop2023-11-01 16:29

    Lets see!

  6. #6cfherrman2023-11-01 16:45

    One by the sink was I think that night. Right before stitches when the cleaned it up a few days later Last pic I took right now next to a gas bucket I can only grip maybe a 1.5 round pipe and my finger doesn't go straight. A few years ago I dropped a grinder and it bounced and hit me in the leg and made a great gash. Like 10 years ago a grinder caught my brother's hoodie and traveled up it and chipped his tooth.

  7. #7Acoals2023-11-22 18:57

    First thing I do with a hoodie is rip the strings out.

  8. #8Truck Shop2023-11-22 18:59

    burn it.

  9. #9cfherrman2023-11-22 19:16

    I tie them in a square knot so I know it's my hoodie. Finger is usable but not the same. I think I'm going to take up guitar with my daughter to help rehab it.

  10. #10Old Doug2023-12-03 11:25

    Every time i see a video or someone on tv grinding without safety glasses it makes me think dont they like there eyes? I think if they did wear them maybe some people watching would maybe think about wearing them.

  11. #11cfherrman2023-12-03 12:25

    Dude you close your eyes when you don't have glasses!

  12. #12Zewnten2023-12-21 21:05

    Watched a whole crew of concrete guys hammering in stakes and nails, cutting rebar with grinders. Not a pair of safety glasses on any of them. Not even on their head.

  13. #13cfherrman2023-12-22 08:57

    It's getting better, still can't grip something a little bigger than a pencil

  14. #14funwithfuel2023-12-22 10:43

    In my younger days, ran a 4" air angle grinder. Leaned in on her too hard, as young'ns will do. The disc exploded with an improperly mounted and modified guard it nearly took off the last 2 fingers of my right hand. ER doc had an ortho look at it, they collaborated and I have full use. Sometimes it'll curl up into a monkey paw but I think that's more repetitive motion than tendons. I was lucky, and as a result, always preach safety with grinders to youngsters. I've caught kids leaning in on em till the motors are smoking. They think it means that 'they' are working hard.

  15. #15funwithfuel2023-12-22 11:04

    Won't own anything with attached hood.

  16. #16cfherrman2023-12-22 14:17

    I'm exactly opposite lol

  17. #17Tyler d4c2023-12-22 14:25

    I've had my share of run ins with grinders the worst is grinding a tungsten ran my thumb in to it twice in a weeks time once I need to learn quicker

  18. #18OzDozer2023-12-22 22:01

    Worst thing I've done is run the knuckle on the middle finger of my left hand into a vertical bandsaw blade. That sure hurt for a few weeks! Seems to have healed O.K. But a 4" grinder got me late one afternoon a few years back, when I was grinding the leg of the ROPS on a forklift, it caught on a bracket and kicked back, and got me good on the inside of the middle finger of my right hand. Seems to have come good, but it took a while. Stupid part is, I wear heavy rigger gloves anytime I'm using a grinder, and I took them off half an hour before to do some fine finger work, and forgot to put them back on, when I picked up the grinder again. I must be one of the rare, or very wary ones, who's spent all their life around machinery, engines and heavy equipment - and I still have all my fingers, and they still all work O.K. I know so many guys who have digits missing, who've had hands caught in moving equipment, and who are even missing arms or parts of arms. The brothers boss had his entire right hand crushed into mince meat when a blade dropped on it. Stupid part about his accident was they were chaining for clearing and kept pulling D-shackles apart - so they had to be bent back into their proper U-shape. They were dropping the (cable) blade on the bent shackle, but it kept falling over - so his boss says, "I'll just hold it, while you drop the blade on it again!" Of course, as he held the shackle and they dropped the blade on it again, it promptly fell over and mangled his hand! Talk about "switched off"!! He later admitted he'd been working too hard and too long, and simply stopped thinking. But the other guys with him must have been the same! He was lucky, a great surgeon repaired his hand and gave him 2 workable fingers and a sort of thumb again, so he could grip things. He went on to live to 99!

  19. #19Tyler d4c2023-12-22 22:38

    Got to watch out for those combination striper crimper cutter pilers I was cutting a wire and now have a very nice blood blister on my thumb. If your stupid you may as well demonstrate it from time to time

  20. #20Old Growth2023-12-23 05:46

    I did this last week. About a dozen stitches and it’s all fixed up. Whacked it on a saw tooth.

  21. #21funwithfuel2023-12-23 08:58

    My butt puckered seeing that. Thanks a lot!

  22. #2256wrench2023-12-23 09:50

    I knew of a young guy about 20 miles over from where i grew up that was killed when a grinder disc exploded and pierced his heart. It was about 40 years ago. I only buy good brand name discs. I feel the risk is less and the extra cost is worth it. I find that the ‘good’ discs usually do a better/quicker job anyway

  23. #23Old Growth2023-12-23 13:27

    I dunno what it is about those discs, but if you whack yourself open with one it takes FOREVER to heal. A normal cut will take 1-2 weeks to heal, it a dang grinder/vip wheel cut will take a month or two to heal and be hard and sensitive also. Something about the stone or fiber in them, I guess.

  24. #24cfherrman2023-12-23 14:24

    The cut is very rough, like hamburger left behind. I basically only use zip discs on a cordless grinder so you don't get so much energy in them to blow them up anymore.

  25. #25funwithfuel2023-12-23 15:35

    Well, we gotta look at the wounds. Normally we get "cut" on this or that. Never really affects the meat. Couple stitches, skin scars together, good to go. With grinders, we get "tore up" everything is ripped and shredded down past the fat and into the meat. That's what takes so long. Muscle and tendon don't grow near as fast as skin.