I haven't seen a sub-menu or thread on Grinders. I am looking for as much information that I can obtain on these machines. Anyone here own or operate them?
i have operated a medium size tub for a short time, a medium size horizontal for a while, and even demo'd a horizontal chipper from precision. It depends on what you intend to shred as to which is the best for your application. The tub did not do the production that I wanted in wood slabs, but it did great for logs and wood blocks. The horizontal grinder does more production for us but will not grind whole trees without cutting them into short pieces and turning them sideways. The chipper made the best material, but the knives would not last in the dirt on the side of the wood. I run a bandit 3680 with a john deere 500 hp engine. It has been a great machine for us. I have always heard that the Diamond Z and Peterson were the best brands, but the price difference was too much for me.
Thank you Super S for your input, I am looking into grinders for yard waste and C&D processing. I have heard nothing but horror stories about tub grinders launching that which should never be launched into the air and for very long distances at that. I have heard that horizontal's don't do well with large stumps as you indicated but for the most part are far safer, more productive and ultimately more efficient. In my area Morbark seems to have the market cornered but I have also heard that Rotochopper is the Rolls Royce of all, any opinions on either machine? In what I am attempting to do, safety for the Operators and anyone nearby is a paramount concern of mine. I hear they are REALLY expensive to own and operate so anything I can do to mitigate potential problems with safety goes a long way towards increasing the bottom line. Thanks again for your input. Regards, Sean
Here we go again, nobody, nothing? C'mon people, I came here for insight and opinions from other's. There are too many manufacturers and too many models with oh so many configurations and options AND these machines are ridiculously expensive. The more I know the less chance of making a HUGE financial mistake then having my head ripped off and shoved so far up my @$$ by the L'il Woman that I'll never see sunshine again. You wouldn't want that on anyone would you?
Okay then, Seems there may not actually be too many members that work with grinders. It's as if this thread is dead...