Morning All My service body is currently being blasted and painted (pics to follow) I will be repairing the cab and having it painted down the road also. The whole thing is being done in white. I'll be bed linering the tops of the cabinets and leading face myself once I get it back. I like the finish and stone chip protection from bed liner and additional grip it gives if I'm standing on the top for example. But I don't like using it in the aisle or bumper / step. Two reasons, it doesn't like being oily and it doesn't like grinding or welding burns. I'm thinking of painting my bumper with some black Rust-Oleum and adding some sand to make it less slick for climbing in and out. Has anyone any experience in adding sand to paint or a similar idea?
I've done exactly what you described on pretty high traffic areas and it seems to hold up well
I believe Lowes and Home Depot sell a product like that, with the sand already in it. If you make your own, do not put in very much sand, a little will do, and stir it really well, and almost between every brush full. Also, you can paint it and immediately , LIGHTLY sprinkle sand on top of the fresh paint. I like this last method best, if done in moderation. Jeff
the other option is to get a good paint on there are apply tread tape. That one is nice because you can peel it off and replace it when a high traffic area gets beat.
Weather decks on ships were painted that way when I was in the navy. They called it boot topping. It was like twelve grit sandpaper.
At ConEx several years ago there was a company out of Alaska that made different grip tapes depending on your conditions. The most aggressive tapes were made to be effective when covered with ice and snow, while the smoothest were closer to fine sandpaper, and every thing in between. I don't recall the name of the company.
I sealed/painted the lower 3-4 ft of walls and entire floor of my enclosed trailer for use as a pressure washer trailer. I used a bed liner product that remains somewhat flexible and added their rubber crumbs to the flooring for traction. It makes for a very tractive surface yet is sealed to the elements so the floor should never rot out. The rubber has a slight give that sand does not have. Heavy impacts won't shatter the rubber as it would with a large grain sand product. I think that this is the place I purchased my spray-on bed liner material from in bulk. All I needed was a Harbor Freight ceiling spatter gun to install the product. https://www.ebay.com/str/trkspecialist?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2563
Thanks for all your input Pics to follow!
Lighting in the back of my shop isn't the best. One part sand to four parts paint using regular cheap sand from home Depot and trem clad flat black worked like a charm. It's cheap and will be easy to repaint down the line. The last pic shows the bed liner on the tops of the cabinets. I personally like the finish and additional grip you get. The fixed studs are for mounting my welder air reel and compressor. The way I've done it means the cabinets are 100% sealed so don't leak rather than bolting through the tops.
deleted