Hello! I'm interested in purchasing a yard crane to help me repair machinery, move things, and do some light construction around my property. A local seller has a Grove RT-59S for sale that is supposedly in great condition. I don't know how old the machine is, but I'm guessing it was manufactured in the 70's. Anyone have an opinion on this model? I can't seem to find a single post about this model. The seller also has a P&H Omega 18 for sale as well for a little more. I'm leaning towards the Grove as I hear, in general, the vintage Groves are extremely well built, and in fact, overbuilt.
It is all about condition. If you look at it and have to dig into a bunch of hoses and things, it will nickel and dime you right off the planet. I don't think the omega-18 was a particularly good machine either, so it would have to be pretty sharp and fully functional.
Older groves are very stout and lots of parts available. We have a couple of 1975 tms300s. So far the main one we use has been more reliable than our 2009 gmk3050.
T That's very helpful. I'm a fan of vintage equipment because of the quality of construction, and simplicity. I'm going to check out the crane in person this weekend.
A found a 1998 RT-552B for sale as well for less than 10K which is much newer. I think it actually has a LIM. I can't find any opinions of that one either. I guess RT cranes aren't something that many people have opinions about.
I think you typo'd that. it is a 522B?
Take a bunch of pictures or post up links of where they are for sale at. I’ll take either of the groves over a p and h omega
Yeah, a 522b.
The 522B turned out to be a scam on FB marketplace. Rats!
Good you figured out it was a scam.
There's a handful of those cummins 6bt powered 90's groves for sale in California, because they can't run them due to emissions. They still want too much for them IMO. There are older ones with detroits or the V-8 cummins, no thanks.
How does it work in California if machines aren't used commercially ie/ someone uses an older crane occasionally on the farm or a case like mine where I have a hobby type MX track and can't afford new tier 4 final machines?
You're not a fan of the Detroit diesels? I hear they're really dependable.
They're extremely loud compared to other engines, aka Screamin' Detroits, tend to leak (driptroits) and are getting harder to get parts for. They are pretty tough but more modern engines are overall better.
Today I am the proud owner of a RT-59S with a 60FT boom and the Cat 3145 V8 diesel engine. I got it for $10,000 and it's in really good condition. All the functions work, the cable has no issues, and the only thing I noticed that needs to be fixed are a couple brake hoses that have the insulation deteriorating. First thing I do is I'm going to change all the fluids and grease all the joints and then torque all the main bolts. This should serve me well when I build an ADU on my property.
Look at you go! Did it come with a headache ball? You're going to want one.
No headache ball, just the 3 sheeve block. What's the headache ball for? I googled it and it sounds like it just applies weight to the line?
Congratulations!
It's for when you want single line with no block. By far the fastest way to pickup light loads.
Forget the ball….. does the damn A/C work??
I don't think it has ac . It has a manual fan though!
oops! I read it. Yes you have 8800 maximum pull on that winch and it will probably be smooth through ~5000. Most of the time you will want single part.
Here's a question for you. If I have the boom down so it's parallel with the ground, can I use the hoist to pull horizontally? I would think not, but thought I'd ask. This would come in handy if I was trying to unload a big crate from an enclosed trailer and I used the crane hoist to pull the crate out to the liftgate so I can lift it traditionally. The crates would be perhaps 3,000 lbs at the most. I was planning on attaching a cheap harbor freight winch to the front of the crane to do this but if I can use the main crane hoist that would simplify things.
I googled it and it looks like OSHA prohibits using a crane to drag a load.
Yeah, it's not a good thing to do on any of the equipment. It's designed to pick loads up that are not encumbered and pick them straight up. Side loading and end loading like you're talking about is just experimenting with how a break things.
Good luck dragging that block horizontally into a trailer to drag a load out. Its not going to happen. What I do is just attach the crate to one of the big lugs on the front of the crane carrier (chain/strap), and then just drive the box truck ahead if I'm on outriggers. Or if your still on rubber back the crane up, until its on the liftgate, and then pick it off.
That's a great tip, thank you. I bought a pallet puller attachment from tractor supply for $50 that I can attach to the pallet to do what you recommended.