Hi I'm thinking of buying a used RT58 neckbreaker to use on the farm. I'm building a new house, shop, ect and no local crane rentals near by. Guy near me has a rt for sale but the transmission seems to have some problems. it will move but not well, has charge pressure. And I believe it's overfilled with oil. I'm not sure if it has a Clark, Funk, or maybe an Allison. Most of the guys that worked on this stuff are retired so no one to ask. The machine ain't much he wants 5K for it. I have no problems putting a few buck in it but I don't want a money pit. Maybe someone here would be willing to answer some questions? I'm not a crane newbee I have 30 years in Local 18 OE and have a currant CCO Thanks Scott AKA Big Tater
I've been refurbishing a galion 150 with a Clark transmission. The charge pressure on the transmission needs to be around 270 psi to shift. If that's good (from the torque converter to the transmission), I would then check the pressure at each clutch pack ( I believe it's a 1/8 npt fitting). Though, the first thing I would check ....is it in gear? The 2 or 4 wheel drive sometimes gets stuck in between....and needs to be engaged before put into gear (rhetorical, though I've done it). If that doesn't help, and all seems good with pressures/ shifting......might be a clutch pack itself.
Hi I agree with BobCatBob check the 4 wheel drive, we had a RT58B until last year in our fleet and it use to either be stuck in 4x4 and then it can be very slow or inbetween 4x2 or 4x4. Their cable tends to seize up in its casing and you think you have disengaged it. best is to check physically on the transmission itself. Good luck they are good solid robust cranes. We used it a lot as a 4x4 pulling vehicle when some off the other cranes got stuck on sites.It had a very strong transmission and 6cyl. Deutz engine on our machine.
Hi Yeah, I was under the machine and it seems to shift between 4 wheel drive and two. I believe the problem in in the transmission not the gearbox. The charge pressure is about 150-175psi it's in the green range on the gauge but I don't know if the gauge is the original as it's an Allison gauge. My understanding is this trans uses dextron? If so it's overfilled now and looks like it has hydraulic oil in it. I believe the main hyd pump is driven off the back of the trans and maybe the pump seals are leaking allowing the hyd oil to leak into the trans causing the overfilling? The seller is willing to drain the oil and change the oil & filters to see if that will correct the problem. I guess this is kinda a crapshoot. I need a crane now so if this thing will limp along till I get the house done I would be willing to make a more permenant repair later. I guess I could just push or pull it into position with the big farm tractor since the crane function works OK Scott
Here's a picture of the system I have on my Galion: If the PSI is below 270, the clutch packs will not shift into gear. These definitely require transmission fluid and that could be the problem (viscosity).
A few pics I've take my self:
Thanks Bob I wish I could ID the trans in this crane the pic you sent shows 2 separate units looks like this one is one piece. Is yours a 2 speed?
There is a drive shaft between the torque converter and transmission. I believe the allison converter and transmission is bolted together (one unit) vs. the clark system.
Nope that pic you sent ain't whats in the crane I'm looking at. I'm really thinking it's an Allison. Drive shaft comes out rear of trans to the transfer case and then to front and rear axels.
If it's a power shift transmission, then likely similar. I'll bet a fluid change to a Dex-III and filter change will tell you if it's a go or no go (lower viscosity, filter may be holding back charge pressure to what's needed for shifting). That's a cheap solution......otherwise you might be changing clutch packs (parts are cheap...it's getting it out of the crane to work on that will cost $$$). In post #8, the clark transmission/torque converter picture doesn't show the drive shaft going to the rear drive or the front wheel drive (at the bottom of the transmission), but there are two PTO's.
http://www.sunriseequipment.com/grove-crane-rt-58-3479 This is the same crane except it has a gas engine and no jib. 2 speed Allison trans
See if the owner has any manuals to help diagnose the problem (or get the model number of transmission, call an Allison dealer for specs). At $5k that's barely over scrap value.
If you do confirm it's an Allison transmission then AFAIK it should have Dexron in it rather than hydraulic oil.