Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grove RT63S rough terrain crane wiring diagram?

kshansen ยท 2013-05-23 19:59

Any one have any information on one of these? Would be nice to find a wiring diagram. I'm sure this thing has been "upgraded" a few time over the years but would be nice to know how things were back in the day. One thing I have yet to figure out is how wiring goes from the upper (cab area) to the lower frame area. I see the wiring harness going to a box above the swivel for the hydraulics but through the grease and dirt under this thin I have yet been sure where it come out the bottom. Does the wiring go through some kind of slip ring affair or is it something like the "clock spring" wiring in a cars steering column? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Replies7
  1. #1shipman2013-05-23 22:09

    We have a RT59S and a RT65S at our boat yard and in both cases the local Grove dealer got me an "owners cd rom" from Manitowoc. If you've got the serial number and money they can get you wiring diagrams, but they are on the cd rom as pdf files. There are slip rings in the swivel. Gerry

  2. #2kshansen2013-05-24 08:51

    Thanks for the reply. I have sent an email to Manitowoc with model and s/n. How hard is it to access the slip rings? One problem we see right now is the wire to the starter solenoid gets hot (shows 12 volts) when off the solenoid but when connected only puts 3 volts to it. I'm thinking the contacts in the slip rings may just need cleaning.

  3. #3dbl6122013-05-24 14:29

    good idea to check grounds on chaissis to engine block and grounds from negative connection to slip rings and ground. before disassembling slip rings be sure to check voltage in and out of slip rings when under load to see if in fact the problem lies there or elsewhere. access to slip rings is easy, located on top of hydraulic swivel. be sure to disconnect battery before removing cover so you dont accidentally short to ground when removing cover.

  4. #4Knepptune2013-06-02 09:20

    Unless moisture got into the ectrical swivel I wouldn't worry about those. I have dealt with more wiring issues on older groves then I care to remember. I've never have any trouble out of the slip rings. On top of the swivel where all the wires are connected with wire nuts you may make sure there isn't moisture build in those. If it was me I wouldn't spend much time worrying about the swivel. Any grove dealer should be able to get you a wiring schematic for it.

  5. #5kshansen2013-06-02 10:16

    Thanks for the reply. I did remove the cover from the slip ring assembly and was actually surprised how good it looked. This machine is so dirty and oily that the 6V-53 Detroit actually looks clean by comparison! The problem we had with the electrical was trying to find the wire that goes to the starter solenoid. We had found one that got hot(12 volts) when in start but would drop voltage too low when hooked to starter. There was a relay back behind the radiator on the bracket that the original voltage regulator was mounted. We had assumed fro the condition of it that it was not being used, wires fell off just looking at it! Also the alternator was changed to a "one wire" style and the regulator was split wide open. We decided to install a new relay and use the wire that must have been the one that went to this old relay and guess what? Cranks and starts fine!

  6. #6HATCHEQUIP2013-06-02 10:31

    Stacked groove lands and brushes with springs not the flat pancake style, have you tried just hot wiring the engine and spinning it around a few times so the brushes will maybe make better contact to the grooves, some times this will do it especially if the machine has been sitting for a while and just like Neptune said check the wire nuts, also check at the plug connections on the inside of frame where the swivel harness hooks to the chassis harness.

  7. #7BTS2013-07-01 18:44

    Agree with Kneptune on the swivel ring, probably ok unless you have some reason (ie damage) to think otherwise. Depending on what schematics you need we may have them or can help out. Check these troubleshooting manuals for schematics to start: http://www.bodetechnicalservices.com/crane-technical-support/crane-service-manual