The bottom cylinder of this grove is leaking pretty bad so we pulled the boom (the three sections are still together on the ground) and put it on blocks. Looking at the cylinder the nut is recessed so slapping a big pipe wrench on it isn't an option yet. Any advice would be a big help.
Looks like fun. You're gonna have to get that cylinder out enough to get a hold of the gland nut. I don't know if that has a set screw holding the gland or not. I would be surprised if that's gonna come apart. Those model groves I've never had much luck getting cylinders to come apart. Usually the threads let go and gum up. Every I've delt with had to be taken to a machine shop and have the gland machined out. Careful with the heat. Sometimes it's not friend. If it has any holes in the gland I've had some luck using an air hammer to get it started. To much air hammering and you'll Waller the holes out tho.
I can't see what you have to grip on the gland, so I'm no help there. Cut a wrench out of plate, bolt it to the gland with some tapped holes, whatever it takes to get some torque on it. Sometimes peening will help a cylinder loosen up, sometimes... HeavyEquipmentForums
Thanks guys! Here's an up date. Were were able to get the bottom cylinder to slide out some by loosening the telescoping cables which let us slap a big chain wrench on it. The gland came off pretty easy. We pulled the ram out and got the new seal kit one and put it back. The top cylinder we had room enough to get the chain on it, the gland was rusted on but we managed to get it off with some effort and the threads don't looks too bad. We got the ram out now and are going to put the new seals on it today. They were ready to start leaking too. After this is done we're pretty much replacing all the hoses on the crane so that should take a while. Then the the fun part of putting the boom back in. Anyway your comments were much appreciated.