Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grove tms 300b telescope cylinder removal

mwelding ยท 2017-09-29 20:31

I have a 1987 tms 300b that i need to rebuild the telescope cylinder on. Just looking for any tips. Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1crane operator2017-09-29 21:10

    First cylinder or second cylinder? The tip one means you have to pull two sections apart, the but section cylinder means you just have to separate one. The book tells you to remove the boom from the crane, I always leave the boom on the crane, and pull the sections out. I've got pictures somewhere of how I pull the boom apart. It makes a big difference what you've got for other equipment. I'll look for my pictures.

  2. #2crane operator2017-09-29 22:48

    Here's some pics from pulling boom on one of my 25 ton grove's . Unbolt rear of boom cylinder and unhook hoses. Chain/ support boom to forklift, and drive crane forward. Catch boom with second crane. Set boom on trailer and remove cylinder rod. It helps to have a nice flat spot to drive the crane out of the boom, you need it nice and level, especially going back in.

  3. #3crane operator2017-09-29 23:04

    Here's a picture of reinstalling boom in my 70 ton. I'm holding it with my 25 ton, we're using a forklift to tip the boom, to perfectly straight/level with the crane. We would also park a forklift on the tip to hold it while we drive the crane forward, sliding the boom back in place. The reason I drive the crane's in and out of my door, and on my cement apron, is that its the flattest place on my yard, meaning less up and down as you're driving the crane. Slow and steady is the key. The 70 ton and my 35 (tms300) we'll do over the nose of the crane, because the boom sets level when its in the rest. My 25 you have to remove the boom over the rear, because it sets uphill when its in the rest. You can only position it level over the rear. I'd do your tms300 with the boom in the rest, over the nose.

  4. #4mwelding2017-10-02 11:33

    Thanks! Great pics and info.

  5. #5mwelding2017-10-11 13:10

    Crane operator do you remember the weight of the boom on your tms 300?

  6. #6crane operator2017-10-11 13:50

    I think its around 10,000, with leaving the butt section on the crane. I usually put a 4 part in my 25 ton just so I can fine tune adjust it, as your putting it in and out. So I'm lifting the dead section tip, and the two powered sections all together, leaving the bottom section in the crane. I also measure from the tip to the tail of the sections before pulling them out, then you can drag out 2/3 of the boom before attaching the crane, measure in from the tip 1/2 of your overall measurement so you know center of gravity. Mine is the 105' main, 4 section total boom. There are some 80' main only booms out there, I don't know which you have.

  7. #7mwelding2017-10-11 14:48

    Ok thanks. I have the same 105' main. Getting ready to pull out today. Is there any tricks with replacing the seals or pretty standard.

  8. #8crane operator2017-10-11 14:52

    Lots of oil on it, I sometimes put a little grease on them also. I have seen the bottom end of the barrel be pitted from moisture setting there, just above the wiper on the bottom seal. You can hone them a little if its real bad.

  9. #9saudi owner2017-10-12 03:21

    When we want to dissemble a boom here, we do not drive the crane after we hold the sections, we pull them out using a crane and a big fork lift or a wheal loader! So you have two options mwelding. Maybe crane operator gives us the difference between them, he seems more experienced than me! Regards

  10. #10mwelding2017-10-22 18:59

    All is well. Cylinder rebuilt, and boom put back together. Thanks for all the info.