Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Groves SM3289XT Scissor Manlift

DUNNR1942 · 2024-05-31 14:32

I bought this lift in Narrows VA, it was trucked 1000 miles to Pierson Florida. When unloading the lift it would not steer L or R but a few inches. Once on the ground, it takes 30-40’ circle to turn the machine. It will not steer either way when stationary only when moving forward or reverse ( then a fraction of a movement R or L. Changed hydraulic oil, cleaned return hydraulic filter. Nothing seems to help. Any suggestions where to start troubleshooting?

Replies5
  1. #1DUNNR19422024-05-31 14:34

    Sorry it’s a Groves SM3489XT Manlift

  2. #2crane operator2024-06-01 00:11

    So, either the switch isn't giving it the signal to turn (wiring or joystick issues), or the steering cylinders are bypassing from bad piston seals, or there isn't pressure coming from the pump. Who told you to change the hyd. oil? Why? That would be the last on my list.

  3. #3DUNNR19422024-06-01 08:14

    The hydraulic oil was the color of chocolate milk and it looked nasty to me. The joystick much be getting a signal because it does eventually turn but at small intervals at a time. Steering cylinders on both sides look clean with seals holding hydraulic oil (no leaks). The pump is the next step although it drives & lifts but that the next thing to check out. I have the manuals so I’ll follow the instruction and see what happens. Many thanks for responding

  4. #4crane operator2024-06-01 08:52

    Just because the cylinders aren't leaking externally, doesn't mean they aren't leaking internally on the piston seals. If the hyd. oil has been water contaminated, you could have rust in the spool valve that the joystick controls. That would cause it to either not open up, or could be bypassing and not building pressure. If the electric solenoid that the joystick controls, is getting weak, it will work intermittently. I would probably start at the valve and check if the joystick is sending a constant signal to the coil, and see first if its a electrical issue, or a hydraulic issue. You're just going to have to go through it step by step.

  5. #5DUNNR19422024-06-01 22:36

    Thank you so much, I’ll do it step by step as you suggested. I’ve got a meter so I’ll start at the joystick and work my way through the electrical system first. Used it today, no difference in steering. Thank you & I’ll keep you in the loop as I progress down the menu. Best