Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Guy’s help me pick out a good farm size track loader with 4-1 and teeth

BCOWANWHEELS · 2012-12-30 20:24

I NEED SOME help from more experienced folk who could help me pick out a good tracked loader for my farm. i need to clear about 2-3 miles of overgrown fence rows, scrub areas, make a road and level out a barn building site. i know nothing about a loader but i have so much to do i figure it would pay for its self in the first year. i think I need a 4-1 bucket and teeth on it & R.O.P.S. I,D PREFER A MECHANICAL TYPE FUEL INJ. ENGINE AS THE ELECTRONIC ENGINES JUSt are dealer only repairable. I,ve a retired semi truck fleet owner and feel I can do most repairs on a machine but never owning any it sure would be a blessing to have some experienced insight.If you was to ask me which semi to by I,d know right off and how to spec it but this I need help on. I,am in east tennessee and I feel within a couple weeks of seat time I cold get the basic feel of operation. I just need a good machine. I dont want the small types but rather 70-90hp. all help is greatly appreciated ALOT...... Knowing what machine to look for and what to look for on it would be a tremendous help. I have several trucker buddies who could get it home for me as they have drop decks and I believe most machines are 20 to 25k in weight so that isnt a hauling issue. thanks fellas old man bob in tn.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies156
  1. #1denver m farms2012-12-30 21:55

    My first choice for you would be a 943 cat. Rear engine so you would have good visability big enough to do anything you disrcibe but pretty easy on fuel and easy to learn how to run if you are new to this kind of equipment and you could probably find one for under 20k in good shape. There are alot of diffrent machines that would be fine for what you are doing but the main one to stay away from imo is a case they are the only one that you would not want no matter how cheap it was.

  2. #2jca57jd2012-12-30 23:03

    Hey Bob. I would recommend a larger tracked skid loader for your needs over a track loader. If most of your fence rows have scrub bushes and small trees (8" and smaller) then a compact track loader would do all of your needs! Now if you want a big loader then I would have to agree with denver farms on the 943. I feel that you would be far better off with a big compact track loader (bobcat t320, 870, Takeuchi tl140, tl150, ect...) because it is a lot more versatile. A compact track loader is easily capable of doing all of the tasks that you mentioned above. Money wise, you would probable come out cheaper on the 943, all depending on the shape of the machines you look at. Remember that you have tons of different attachments for the compact track loader and not the big loader. If you plan on doing the work mentioned and selling then by all means go with a big loader. Hope you find what you need and good luck in your farm!

  3. #3BCOWANWHEELS2012-12-31 02:01

    I,ll look into both but the 943 cat seems apealing. Thanks fellas i just want to get my farm back in shape and local guys with even a good deal are still expensive and i know everybody has to eat and cant bring myself to really cut them to the bone. It just aint my way. Bob

  4. #4BCOWANWHEELS2012-12-31 03:04

    Yep a 943 cat seems like the ticket. What kind of hours is above average and what do i look for on the tracks and undercarrage etc. I know to look for cracks and welds and the bucket will also tell if its been abused. A 4-1 sure would be nice i think. Seems prices are 13k to 35k on these. I know a cat engine is the one all my trucker buddies always want. I was a cummins fan but cat was always a strong runner and 1st at the top of the hills.

  5. #5wosama931b2012-12-31 12:20

    Hi, Bob, To me its all about price, and cash on hand, and the transport is a thing to consider, the large machines cost a lot to move, the smaller rubber track are easy to move and cross the street, but will they do the job?? If you don,t have to move a lot of big trees and rock the smaller rubber track machine will work good with the farm stuff. sam.

  6. #6powerjoke2012-12-31 14:16

    939 hydro would be my first pick, it will outwork a 943 and even a 953 in a clearing operation.

  7. #7denver m farms2012-12-31 14:52

    Most 943's are old enough that you genrally can't trust the hour meter but if you found a real clean one that you could learn some history on it could very well have low hours. If not and a hour meter has 12000 hours but the engine checks out and it pushes and has decent uc then i would not be affraid of it. I agree that a 939 hydro is fine but i personally would rather run a 943 and for someone who is working on there own place and may not be in a hurry i would recomend a 943 over a 939. Another thing about a 943 or 53 is they are very easy to work on if you have to, you can have a transmition out in less than a day if you need to and about everything is easy to get to.Also the last one we bought had a new engine new u/c and every line on it had been replaced and we paid 20000$ for it i would expect to find a decent one for around or under 20000$

  8. #8JBGASH2012-12-31 18:20

    I would agree with denver M farms on a 943 0r 953 over a 939 hydro. I feel that 939 would have a tough time keeping up with a 953C any time. The 43 & 53 models are very common and fairly easy to work on. just my opinon

  9. #9BCOWANWHEELS2012-12-31 18:32

    Whats the basic differences between the 943-53 and the 939 ? One thing i also need to consider is i have arthritus in my legs, they work but not real good like the old days. Getting old stinks fellas especially if you really enjoy a good days work, its all i,ve ever known. Thanks so much for all you fellas help on this bob

  10. #10wosama931b2012-12-31 19:07

    Hi Bod, we all have our ackes and pains, iam in the mid 60's, but still get around. Sometimes the larger machines are easyer on the backside, but you use the feet to move the ft pedals, a lot, and just getting up and down to the seat and doing maintance can be a job. Maybe what you should look for is a machine that you feel is just for comfort, and easy on the leg work, one friend of mine has a great wheel tractor, 4x4, its a heavy machine. sam.

  11. #11jmoney862012-12-31 19:21

    I own a 943 with a gp bucket that I work everyday. It's the first and so far the only piece of equipment that I own, so the entire workload of my business is on it, and it keeps up just fine. I bought it for $10,500 from a paving company that bought it new in 1984. I've done about $5,000 in general maintenance over the last couple of years and I replaced the complete u/c this year for $8,500. Personally, I'm a firm believer in these machines. I've never been around a 939 but the most obvious difference is the rear-engine design of the 943 versus the front-engine design of the 939. I can't see the 939 being balanced as well as a 943. However, a hydrostat 939 will have joystick steering instead of the pedal steering on the 943, and the 939 will be alot closer to the ground, so it may very well be easier on someone with trouble getting around.

  12. #12BCOWANWHEELS2012-12-31 21:10

    I figured i'd make me a get on board and dissmount place i could drive up to. I could climb up still but when your old you think how can i do this the easy way. Actually operating it wont be a problem and if i have to pee i can just stand on the track and let it fly, my farm is very remote and theres no houses in sight. Wonder what the new machine numbers are for the 943/953 and what they sell for ?

  13. #13denver m farms2012-12-31 23:01

    If i understand what you are asking you are wanting to know the price of a new machine. they no longer build a 943 and haven't since 1992, We bought a brand new 953 in 2006 with no ripper but with a cab and ac and we paid 192.000.The pedal steer of the 943 will be a little harder on the knees but if you are not running it all the time you can probably make it work.

  14. #14BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-01 02:10

    My local friend suggested a john deere 605c or a cat 953... It sure is tough to decide and i dont want to get a worn out machine whatever i buy.

  15. #15denver m farms2013-01-01 11:09

    Those would be fine, i would want a 953 over a 605 for alot of reasons but i would rather have a 605 than a 939 cat.

  16. #16DMiller2013-01-01 11:27

    Friend of mine picked up a nice 555B deere, not the cats meow but small, agile and a 4 in 1 with a backhoe. Can pretty well get any small tree down, easy to build brush piles and easier yet on fuel. Pedal steer, shuttle shift, 80hp. He likes it just fine and got it for $18500 in central MO, delivered.

  17. #17250c2013-01-01 12:32

    I know you asked about a tracked loader but take from a guy that owns both a track loader and a wheel loader, if you can get by with a wheel loader they are cheaper to own and operate,faster.and way easier on the operator than a tracked loader. The 4 and 1 bucket is a great asset on a farm machine.

  18. #18BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-01 15:34

    i'd really prefer a tracked loader with wide pads I believe, it wont rut up my pastures like a wheeled machine will. I done have any roads to cross or get on so no issue there. I,ve got a appointment with my local cat dealer sales rep to look at his low hours 953's and 963,s. I,ll most likely go cat. somebody school me on what to look for on sprockets,tracks,idlers etc. as far as needing service/replacement etc. I believe the term is undercarrage in general. isnt sharp teeth on sprockets considered worn out ?

  19. #19stumpjumper832013-01-01 16:45

    Look for sharp sprocket teeth, feel the pins in the track chains, pick up the nose of the machien and look for wobbly rollers and play in general. Trying to remember did some of the cat trackloaders have equilizer bar problems?

  20. #20BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-01 17:43

    Looks like loader 101 has got to be learnned. Just when you think schooling os over you realize its never over. I just want a good machine that has had maint. Done reguarly. Its hard to find a used machine thats spec'd the way you want it exactly. What about rippers on the rear think there needed. I have a new 120x120 shop going up soon and i need to cut the top of a hill off to get a good level spot and make a access road about 1/2 to 3/4 mile long

  21. #21denver m farms2013-01-01 17:59

    No i don't think rippers are needed but they are something you would use every little while. At first when you started this and said you were working on your farm i never thought about you wanting to spend the money for something as late model as a 605 or a later model 953 but that's great,A 953c is about the best machine i have ever ran and i have been on about every track loader there is.You are also right about cat beeing the way to go they are. And yes a track loader is for sure what you need.

  22. #22BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-01 18:11

    I,d guess the first year i owned a machine 200-300 hrs then after that no more than 100 hrs a year max. I have a good barn to store it in when not in use . I,d like to keep a machine under 40k as i can write it off my taxes. But mostly 40k wont take long to spend if you hire the work out on a 250 acre farm. Its been neglected by previous owner for 40 yrs. Plus i just like to get out and work...... Thanks again

  23. #23charles walton2013-01-01 19:22

    Look for a low hour 953B the C models are electronic and the early ones gave a lot of trouble with the computer.

  24. #24BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-01 19:23

    Mechanical would be super. Thanks charles

  25. #25charles walton2013-01-01 19:34

    I liked the B model best and I have operated all of them made from 84 till about 2002.you can also find 963's very reasonable these days,they are nice big machines if you have any big trees or heavy excavation to do they'll make it a breeze.I currently have an old 955L with the D-6 size tracks that suits me fine for what I am doing but I would like to have another good 963.

  26. #26BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-01 19:36

    Charles is the 963 a "b" model also and mechanical f.i. Its a 3116 engine right with a turbo ?

  27. #27charles walton2013-01-01 19:48

    The 963 comes in B and C and the earlier ones were just plain 963 you can tell the year by the serial number.The C model in both the 53 and 63 were electronic.The 963 made before the B had a 3304 and the 3116 started with the B model the earlier 53 had 3204 and used the 3116 starting with the B model.I know where a 953b with 6600 hours is here in Ga,asking 42k and they have a 63b for 47k I haven't seen them in person but they have cab with air and look strait in the pictures.

  28. #28BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-01 19:51

    HERES THE BEST ONE I,VE FOUND SO FAR I THINK. I LIKE THE LGP BUT THE WINCH I DONT NEED BUT MAYBE I CAN TRADE IT FOR A RIPPER. I,D ALSO WANT A 4-1 BUCKET http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com/find/listing/CATERPILLAR-953B-Super-Wide-LGP-107675103

  29. #29JBGASH2013-01-01 19:55

    I hsve a 953C that is a turbo and has a 3116 engine. It has been excellent with no problems at all, has 5900 hrs now and will need a new undercarriage in the near future. It has many electric / hydraulic controls but they have not caused any trouble yet. I keep it shedded always when not in use to hopefully avoid some maint. issues with it. It is easily moved with a 2 axle lowboy also. It also is a quick attach of which we have a dozer blade and set of heavy duty forks that we put on it in addition to the bucket. You will be pleased with a Cat whether it a 53 or 63 both will do a ton of work in a day.

  30. #30charles walton2013-01-01 19:58

    That's the same place I was talking about.I have owned a 4n1 bucket tractor and it was ok but they give trouble when you get a lot of hours on them,but if its tight when you buy it you'll be ok no more than you'll be using it.There are not a lot of 4n1 buckets on 53 and 63 in this area but I think I saw some at a dealer in N.Carolina.Where is Kingsport in relation to Atlanta?

  31. #31charles walton2013-01-01 20:05

    You must have a later model,alot of the first c's gave trouble thats why you can buy them cheaper than a B often.They are nice tractors as long as they're working right.I think they got most of the bugs out by 02 or 03 and now days they're D models.You probably won't find a good C for 40k.

  32. #32denver m farms2013-01-01 20:10

    I would not be affraid of a 953c, atleast i have never had or anyone i know that has one has had any big problems with one, Now i have heard of some problems with the very early c models on 953s like 96 and 97 models but you will probably be looking at newer than that anyway. If you see a machine with system one u/c that is a big plus in my opinion the quick way to tell is if the idler is narrow and just touches the bushings.

  33. #33BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-01 21:23

    when you say "will need a new undercarriage in the near future" what do you do, remove your complete bottom and exchange it at cat ? or do you just strip yours down to the frame and bring everything back up to new spec's.

  34. #34jmoney862013-01-01 21:25

    http://http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8757919

  35. #35JBGASH2013-01-01 21:33

    We will replace all track shoes, both rails (chains), all lower rollers, both top rollers, sprocket segments, front large rollers, all bolts, check both track tensioners for proper operation and repair as needed. The material cost for these parts from Heavyquip was appox. $11,000.00 if we had them do it the labor was appox. $2000. I am also going to get a bid from Cat for comparison.

  36. #36BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-01 21:39

    I'd make sure if you dont go genuine cat that the aftermarket parts are made in U.S.A. because in the import parts the steel is inferior. would you take them your machine or just the undercarrage to reman it ? is there any machne work needs to be done when you do this or is it just swapping out parts ? also your old parts do you have to trade them back in as cores ?

  37. #37JBGASH2013-01-01 22:33

    If Heavyquip or myself does the job, they will come to my shop if I go with Cat I will take it to them. There is no machine work to do, just swap out the parts. And all old parts will be taken to the salvage yard by me.

  38. #38BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-01 22:48

    got it. been on youtube looking at undercarrage rebuilding, other than its heavy work and takes big equipment to do it seems simple enough. when you say you take your old parts to salvage yard do you mean scrap steel yard or component rebuilders. i see they rebuild about every component on machines... and hooray i learned what a grouser is !!!!!! I,am getting there. i have most of whats necessary to do a u/c rebuild i feel including a over head crane. bob

  39. #39Dickjr.2013-01-01 23:51

    I know a fellow that has a 43 and 53B for sale right now. And no I won't get a penny out of it but pm me if interested and I'll give you his info.

  40. #40charles walton2013-01-02 01:34

    The import steel is SLIGHTLY inferior to CAT and its about half as much money.Most used equipment dealers don't put new genuine cat undercarriage on unless they find a deal in some at an auction or something.HeavyQuip prices are about half of Cat and the steel will last you about 60-70 percent as long as cat,but if you have the money go with cat by all means,we all need to buy American when we can afford to.

  41. #41BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-02 03:38

    is heavyquip the best place to buy undercarrage rebuild parts ?

  42. #42JBGASH2013-01-02 07:52

    The old parts will be sold to a scrap salvage yard to be recycled. I have had good luck with Heavyquip with other machines, in addition the Heavyquip salesman has always been very accomodating and will deliver any single part I call for. This service has always kept me comming back to them. I am sure there are other good suppliers out there also. Our CAt dealer is 45mins away and they also have been very good.

  43. #43charles walton2013-01-02 10:12

    Ihave had good service with heavyquip.

  44. #44CM19952013-01-02 11:13

    Here are some 953B's to look at - http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...mdlx=exact&bcatid=4&Pref=0&scf=true&HDROR=asc I have a '04 953C and it's been a good machine but it does have a lot of electronics. From what you describe, I would look at 953B's to stay away from the computers/electronics and to keep the price down. The B's are dependable strong machines and good ones can be bought reasonably. I am not a fan of 4n1's or rippers on a track loader but that's my personal opinion, although the ripper does make a nice tow bar.

  45. #45BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-02 15:37

    I have a heavyquip close to me in knoxville i found out. 1 1/2 hrs away and stowers cat about 15 minutes from me but i bet going thru cat would be pricey. I,ve got them looking for a 953b. Said there shop rate now is 100.00 pr hr. He tried to steer me to a computer controld machine strongly today. Bob

  46. #46ih1002013-01-02 16:07

    Have you thought about a IH175? With sweeps the IH is less vulnerable to cab damage than a Cat hystat when doing fence line and tree work.

  47. #47BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-02 20:38

    Ih100 thats a little old for me now in life, i cant do any heavy maint anymore even though i have the shop and tools. I need a machine i can just service and use bt thanks for the imput its appreciated

  48. #48BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-03 16:47

    Found a couple units in the 7500.00 to 9k range, they need some love so i called heavyquip in knoxville, tn. To check on some parts and heres what they quoted me. Complete undercarrage new rebuild parts (this is everything with 18" shoes) $9700.00 there brand engine o/h parts (itr) $1000.00 they say there a clevite dealer so that would be the brand i,d go with. Looking at it this way i,d know exactly what i had when finished but boy is it alot of work !!!!! And time its said and done i,d have close to 25k in the job and machine. Any thoughts ?

  49. #49charles walton2013-01-03 17:15

    I've been working on a 955L for about a year and a half now it had new under carrage and a good engine when I bought it but I've had to do alot of stuff to it and I've only put about 30 hrs on it,if I had the money I'd just buy a good used 53 or 63 and start using it unless you really enjoy mechanicing on stuff.

  50. #50BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-03 18:13

    No i dont want to mechanic on one but most are hi hours i,am finding because of the age.

  51. #51CM19952013-01-03 18:30

    Are those 953's or something else?

  52. #52wosama931b2013-01-03 19:22

    Hi, after i re considered a machine for you, with all the stuff that your doing and planing, i don't one cat is going to be enough, any good barn yard has at least 3-4 cats. lol.. have a lota fun. sam.

  53. #53BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-03 20:03

    No it was 943's. I found a lady who's husband just passed away and she's selling there 943. Its been on the farm since new. Going to look at it saturday.

  54. #54charles walton2013-01-03 20:06

    That sounds like a promising lead.One owner machines are hard to find.

  55. #55BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-03 22:45

    Today while on my way to the store i spotted a cat 941b for sale. Its all original and not a dent on it. Sprockets look to be very little wear. Its faded alot but that dont matter and it dont have a 4-1 bucket. After thinking about it its been there for sale for quite a while and i bet the owner could be in the selling mood. Whats you fellas thoughts on this model ?

  56. #56denver m farms2013-01-03 23:21

    Depends on the price for the 941 but they are not bad loader's at all, and if it is that nice it might be just fine. The one owner 943 sounds alot better though, if it is in good shape i would have a hard time passing it up.

  57. #57BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-03 23:25

    I,am gonna call the 941b owner tomarrow also get some pictures. I have to travel a hour to the 943 so it will be saturday-monday time wise for it. I bet the 941b will be about 7-9k, the 943 she,s asking 25k but said she's very neg. On price.

  58. #58charles walton2013-01-03 23:38

    The 941b is a great little tractor,just a lot slower than the 43 and harder on the operator's body,if you do buy it I have a parts tractor with many good parts if you ever need a trans or final drive or steering cluthes,radiator hydraulic cylinders and alot of sheet metal.

  59. #59denver m farms2013-01-04 09:46

    The 941 in my opinion is also harder to work on than a 943, as far as getting to certain place's on the machine.

  60. #60JBGASH2013-01-04 10:08

    I would take the 43 any day. Just my preference.

  61. #61BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-04 15:19

    I cant get ahold of the owner ?????? Got his name and thats about it.......

  62. #62BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-04 15:57

    Well got ahold of the 941b fella and its a 1973 model so i think it just a 941. He wants 12,000.00 firm for it so its going to stay where it is. 6-7k would be tops for me on this old of machine. Times are too hard and tight and most dont have any $ to buy equipment so its a buyers market for things. Good for buyers but bad for sellers. Still a looking next is that ladys 943.

  63. #63denver m farms2013-01-04 18:17

    You would think it is a buyer's market and some places may be more than other's, but around here equipment price's have been going back up and are pretty good now.

  64. #64CM19952013-01-04 18:45

    Thanks to Tier 4, the new machines are shockingly expensive. Bobcats alone are seeing an average $4-5K increase in price. A new D6T Tier 4 is going for $350K, I bought a new D6R III in 2006 and it was $245K. Naturally this is causing upward pressure on prices for used iron across the board. It will only get better or worse depending on which side of the buy/sell arrangement you are on. This is our gov't and their rules. I'll stop there before I have to ban myself.:cool2

  65. #65BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-04 19:35

    Yes the tier #4 equipment is crazy high and it is keeping the tiier #3 and down market up along with it. But knowbody has any $ and what $ is out there is old money made before this economy hit in 2008. There is hardly and growth in my area and its the home of eastman chemicals and afg glass. Folk are struggleing to just make it, including myself....... Gusee thats why i considered buying such a old machine trying to get by as cheap as possible even though knowing full well it would make mehurt (pain wise) if i had to do heavy work/maint. On it. You gotta get it done in life as knowbodys gonna do it for you there in the same shape.... All you fellas have been such a blessing to me i just want you-all to know how much i appreciate each and everyone of you. Yo-all have taught me so much in a short time frame !!! Hope i can return in some way to all of you. Bob p/s fyi the cat dealer sales rep i was talking to thursday told me the additive you put in tier #4 exhaust syst. is modifyed pig urine..... and the exhaust from the engine is as clean or cleaner than the intake air !!!!!! but boy it sure costs.

  66. #66CM19952013-01-04 20:17

    Amen Bob!:notworthy That's why I spend a bulk of my free time here on HEF, the Members and their wealth of knowledge is a blessing that has helped me out time and time again. It's been a struggle for the last few years trying to make ends meet. Everyone I know in the business is hurting but making it however they can. Right now I have a project removing old silt fencing, installing new silt fencing and other erosion control work. Personally I hate it but it's paying the bills and I thank God I have a project to go to.

  67. #67BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-04 21:36

    yea he cant feed you if your not willing to work when he sends it. and if he send it to you he expects you to get it done and done right thats why he sent it to you........ I had a semi come in over the holidays with a job i just dreaded to do but I got it done, hurt for doing it but pressed on and worked thru it and I didnt cut 1 cornner and had to do it all outside ! like my old drill sargent told me in basic life's like that.......

  68. #68Moparmadness32013-01-04 23:45

    I would recommend a Bobcat T250 with a power bob tach quick attachment set up or equivalent. Lots of power, mid size. I would also suggest a toothed bucket in addition to the regular one, if you expect to run into clay. the toothed bucket will make quick work of tough ground but isn't great for precision finish work. An bolt on tooth flanges are flimsy. If you want to save money but spending time, Individual bolt on teeth are available. The power bob tack is really just for convinience so a guy doesn't have to hop in and out of the cab.

  69. #69BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-04 23:54

    thanks for the bobcat sggestion but its way to small for my needs. a cat 943 or 953 is the size i need.

  70. #70DMiller2013-01-05 08:23

    Unless you are removing large mature trees don't discount a T250, larger, heavier than what many consider a Bobcat to be. Rubber tracks do not give it much push power but they can work reasonably well for fence row clean outs.

  71. #71BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-05 18:02

    I have alot of big trees and on the side of a large ridge. I need a tracked loader

  72. #72wosama931b2013-01-05 19:21

    Hi BCOWANWHEELS, If you got big trees, get 953 up to 973, some times it pays to have the larger machines, the 973 will push thoes gig trees over stump and all. The 4-1 bucket will get torn up with the larger stuff anyway. Just push the tree down the hill and get a guy to cut the stump off, push the stump away and let the saw guy cut the timber to the length to be milled. remember to cut the logs 8-10'' longer than your going to saw up. If i were you i would look at putting new rollers and bringing up to speed, any used loader, that i have seen needs some work, unless you pay a lot for it, looking at what i have seen on the auction sites. Good luck, sam.

  73. #73DMiller2013-01-05 19:59

    Mature trees, deep rooted like Sycamore or Oak and I would be looking at a 963, 977, or 973, all low center of gravity, all heavy enough to push out a root mass and large enough to handle pushing them downhill.

  74. #74BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-05 20:13

    SEEMS LIKE EVERYTHING AROUND HERE INVOLVES A HILL ORR MOUNTAIN. I,am gonna have to be careful learning a machine in these parts. most used equip i,ve seen is highly worn because knowbody has any $ so there making the old machines last and cutting cornners on maint. like the truckers are doing. i have guys going 20k now on oil changes............

  75. #75wosama931b2013-01-05 21:38

    OK, I found a good lookin 953C on e-bay, It has everythink that you need, and you can e-mail the owner, [email protected] . This cat has all the stuff. sam.

  76. #76BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-05 21:39

    noticed something about 953's,963's and 973's. seems in the used market the prices are about the same and the 973's seem to be the best bargan. guess its because they weigh 52-54k and they would be permitt loads to travel on roadways on semi trucks. the 973 might best the best buy for me possibly because once it gets on my farm it will never leave most likely and theres no asphalt roads there to worry about and the power sure would be nice felling them tree's,filling gulleys andd making a driveway thru a gully that will support a semi truck in length & weight. is bigger better guys ? lol i could really tear something up with a 973 hee hee

  77. #77JBGASH2013-01-05 22:02

    Bigger is not always best. A 973 will be much more difficult to sell down the road, will burn quite a bit more fuel, should you need to move it you will need a tri axle lowboy outfit. Yes, it will do alot of work that is a given fact. You will not go wrong with a 943 or 953C in my opinion. My 953C is used on my farming operation, plumbing & excavating businesess and fits well in any application as where a 963 or 973 would be impractical due to there size. Just my opinion.

  78. #78BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-05 22:05

    guess thats the reason for the good prices on the 973's

  79. #79PhilDirt2013-01-05 23:15

    I use a 955L for clearing trees and pushing fill, there's hardly a day that I don't wish for something bigger, and my trees are not as tough as yours. I'd pick a nice 977L or a 963 at least for the work you are describing. 973 would be fun, would burn more per hr. but would get a lot more done in an hour. When people rent machines, they seem to pick the smallest machine that will do the job to save on rent cost, when going one size up would get the job done faster and save overall.

  80. #80CM19952013-01-06 09:53

    I get a chuckle out of the folks recommending a 973 for farm work. It will be no fun getting a 953 unstuck from that soggy bottom just imagine what it would take to get a 973 out....:cool2 I would stick with a 53, 63 size machine.

  81. #81OldandWorn2013-01-06 13:12

    Here is a 943 at a dealer in Alabama. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cat-Caterpi...109?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ee8a4ec5

  82. #82CM19952013-01-06 15:15

    Finney has that tractor for sale. It's in Birmingham down the hwy from Thompson Tractor, the local Cat dealer.

  83. #83OldandWorn2013-01-06 17:33

    Yeah CM, I was on Finney's ebay site looking at track adjuster seals and happened to see it listed. They must be a HUGE company as I hear the name a lot on HEF.

  84. #84CM19952013-01-06 17:58

    Actually their not at all, at least their physical location, although they do have a large Internet presence. They have a shop/office building that's 10-12K SF or so. If you rode by their place the old iron outside would catch your attention but that's about it.

  85. #85BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-06 18:26

    Theres alot of 973's in my area i,ve discovered. Guess its the coal field stuff. But they weigh 55k and like previously stated it will take a 3 axle detach trailer to haul it along with being a "permitted in each state load " and daylight only transport. I dont have no soggy bottoms and i know when its wet to let it alone but i do have alot of med to large trees/ scrub to get down and piled up to get burnt , aprox 50 acres worth. I asked a young fella who has a excavating business and wants to be my cattle partner about buying a loader. I seen in his eyes he wanted the job of clearing the property and such. He's know the farm since he was a little boy and truely loves it. I seen him walking it just the other day dreaming " says he's clearing his head" i really want to work with him as much as possible but like everybody else i have to watch my budjet. And i really would like to do it myself to just experience it from a operator viewpoint. I,ll have to let the lord handle this one as its well over my head where he's concernned. This young fella is a worker guys, he get's it done and right. He cut and hand heuwed is own logs for his house " made his own tools like the old days to do it. Best of all he has a tremendous christian testimony that really impressed this old man. I dont have any family anymore so that makes me want to be obligeing to him all that much more. I,d ask him to look at machines with me but i dont want to hurt his feelings. What a delima arises sometimes. Wish i could post pictures but there all too big in size and i dont no how to downsize them. this farm has been in the same family since 1795 and the 1st owners wife is BETSEY ROSS "the flag lady" so i want to do this farm justice, be as least intrusive/dissturbing as possible and keep the original log house if possible. it has a amazeing huge rock fireplace/chimney and all the rock came off the farm. several large barns but only 1 is worth saveing. there is some good timbers left in the un-saveable ones though. Regards bob

  86. #86wosama931b2013-01-06 19:05

    Hey bob, That is a good lookin 943, that old and worn found. If your thinkin about getting help from a young guy, always put the deal in writing, that way everyting is solid....I think you should have help, its to big a job alone, also don't forget about insurance, does he have any???? As for a loader set a buget and stick to it, the transport is 1,000 or 2,000 for 1-2 states. Good luck, sam.

  87. #87BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-06 19:22

    I,ve got several trucker friends that can and will give me a decient deal, i cant ask them to do it for nothing but fuel. They would but i wont let them becuase i know big trucks dont run cheap. I,am figureing $3.00 per mile min. Both ways. And a good tip on a partner ship deal in writeing ! I,ve worked alone for so long i,am used to it but a good helper i would not turn away. I,am hopeing to get a delivered price when i buy a machine. I,ll post more when info come available. Bob

  88. #88BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-07 00:00

    "IF" I do get a 973 i,ll have to unload it in the asphalt street then turn 90 degrees onto my property. i,ll have no choice in this regardless of the machine i pick. will lets say a 973 ruin the asphalt road where the detach -unloading is done ? the road is very old and skinny and 2 cars have to slow down to meet. also while unloading cars will not be able to pass. what do you think guys ?

  89. #89BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-07 01:28

    a local guy told me to lay down old semi truck tires on the road (without the rims) think this would work ?

  90. #90DMiller2013-01-07 05:30

    Tires on the road will help, some, it won't stop a 973 from eating asphalt if you maneuver too abruptly, we have used slabs drops from a local sawmill to run a crawler across a road, run it off the float onto tires, even old sheet plywood or slab lumber, then have someone adjust the tires anti friction cover and make a easy progression from road to rock or dirt, turn slowly if not deliberately and try to keep the rails rolling either forward or back as they chew on the stuff.

  91. #91OldandWorn2013-01-07 05:49

    I was originally responding to your unloading question but basically said the same thing as DMiller so I deleted that portion. A 973 may be the best machine for some of your initial work but what about after? It's not like you have bid on a job and need to get it done quickly to make a profit. These machines are very large and I can't see having one sit around on a farm for occasional use. I don't know how your property is layed out but don't forget about the damage to whatever these machines run over. Bigger and heavier equals more damage. I have a 955 which is about the size of a 953 and I cringe every time I have to move it around. My property is all wooded but it has a nice shale road system that the previous owner built. Unfortunatley, I have to track over these roads to get around on the property until I can make some trails through the woods. Even making 1000 point turns you can't get away from the damage. On the straight portions of the roads everything looks fine and smooth but the grousers have set up these little ripples that shake the fillings out of my teeth when driving faster than a crawl in my rubber tired vehicles. I think you would be happier with a 953 size machine in the long run. There is a reason that these machines are the most popular size. I wouldn't discount a 943 either, it will do what you want but take longer on the bigger trees that you mentioned. Look to the future and decide what size machine you would like to keep around on your farm.

  92. #92BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-07 13:31

    You fellas have terific insight and knoledge and info makes things happen.its deeply appreciated. On another note keen quoted me $4217.00 to deliver a 973 from chicago to greeneville tn. Today. I thought that was very resonable considering op cost now an the load weighing 62k

  93. #93Dickjr.2013-01-07 15:25

    Earthmoving Equipment Repair in Elizabethtown Ky has both a 943 and a 953B. He owns these and rents them to certain operators. Call Rick Allen cell XXX-XXX-XXX. The man has been straight with me. He even told me the other day he would offer a warranty on one ( can't remember what one). Elizabethtown is closer than Chicago. If you do choose a 973 I advise to also buy a single axle fuel transfer truck. Servicability on the smaller machines is much easier. Obviously you have a scope of equipment or you wouldn't be looking. I use a 953C for clearing basements , just about anything in general , it has the weight and horsepower for just about all jobs. MOD Edit - We don't allow posting of other peoples contact information without their consent. It's a privacy issue, don't want Rick getting Telemarketers/spammers calling his cell. Use the PM function to send contact info.

  94. #94DMiller2013-01-07 17:15

    My old loader is worn slick, is a seventies unit, Allis 7G, at 28,000# it is a little on the light side with slick track pads and no chance of replacements for a reasonable cost, with a 4 in 1. The trans is becoming weaker, parts are slim to scarce and shops hate to see the pieces coming in for overhaul if I do take it apart. I have been on the scour for a 953 or 963 with a 4 in 1 bucket, not doing so well there as Cat wasn't too big on install on these. Either of these would be a enhancement to what I have, they would be heavier and more aggressive but I am fighting old, large Honey Locust trees. Luckily I only gave scrap value for the machine and have only added a few thousand in repairs/general maintenance in three years, it had served me well to date. I too have been beating the mental bushes here, my next choice of a machine would have been way too big but should be one to last me the rest of my field days, I had found a 977L in Ark. for just under $40k with a 4 in 1 but needs rails, old Navy unit, has been in salt water conditions and the rails are bridged if not link locked for around half their length. At over 45,000 lbs I could have done a lot of work with it, damage to field or hillside would have been managable but the need to do so much to it to get it to a functional state scared the hell out of me. Unit was pretty, and pretty clean otherwise, was a dream to operate as opposed to a old stick steer even as large as it is.

  95. #95BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-07 19:11

    YES THESE fellas have got the 973 out of my head so 943,953 or 963 its gonna be. my local deere dealer has a super nice 605c with 975 hrs on it for 90k asking price,4-1 bucket. but i,ll hold off for a cat I believe. hope you good luck finding you a machine DMILLER

  96. #96denver m farms2013-01-07 22:01

    Yes a 973 is to big, I still say you need a 943 but a 53 or 63 would not be bad. 90000$ for that 605 is high, i know where there is a brand new with warranty 614 liebherr wich is the same machine for 110000$, In case you didn't allready know all rear engine john deere track loaders are made by liebherr for john deere. Anymore i don't really care for them but the older one's mid 90s and back where good machines we owned 7 of them and learned alot about them and they are not bad.

  97. #97boone2013-01-08 15:37

    Good thread. Lot's of good info to anyone who's looking for a farm machine. Having gone down this path lately, I'll throw in my 2 cents. We have a 175C which is roughly the same size as a 953. I wouldn't want anything smaller. For pushing or moving piles to digging holes, bigger is better. There's something to be said for a machine that you hit a tree with once and over it goes. Also, you mention you have ridges on your property. You might give special attention to your track pads. Make sure they have plenty of bite - maybe double or even single grouser pads. You'll be glad you have them when backing up a steep spot. You probably already know this, clearing that much land will require quite a bit of finish work that I doubt you'll want to do with a loader. Tractor with a blade will do wonders to help clean up the mess you'll make clearing. Sounds like your on the right track with spending more to get a decent machine. We wrenched on ours the first year without it even seeing the farm. Thankfully we weren't in any rush. We've put close to 300 hours on it now and have really enjoyed the satisfaction of doing the clearing ourselves. Maybe you could hire the young man you speak of to run your machine some of the time. You might enjoy the break and enjoy watching for a change. Good luck on your loader hunt!

  98. #98BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-08 21:09

    I finally got the last of the semi trucks out of the shop and back on the road today (THANK GOD). THE OPERATOR OF THE LAST TRUCK WAS PACEING THE FLOOR........ when truckin is in your blood if you aint movin your miserable. it took from july of 2000 till now to get it out of me, I,am a real home body now and have no desires to "go truckin" ever again in fact if I buy a loader away from here I hope I can just send a trucker after it !!!!!! anyway tomarrow i plan on going to see a cat 963, its a rough one but i can actually see the size and scope of it. I also have a 943 I plan on looking at probably thursday. a quick question on changeing the oil on these cats. do I have to drop the bottom skid pan to get to the drain plug ? I see the filters are on the side of the engine. thanks bob

  99. #99CM19952013-01-08 21:14

    I am not sure on the other models but my 953C has a small plate in the belly pan you remove and fish the hose out attached to the drain peacock at the bottom of the engine. It's pretty easy.

  100. #100BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-08 21:17

    boy that would be the cats meow....... also easy to take oil samples from. wonder if the 943,953 & 963 have cylinder liners that are replaceable come O/H time or if you have to bore the block out ?

  101. #101jmoney862013-01-08 21:40

    I'm pretty sure the newer loaders have liners, but my '84 943 has a 3204, and it doesn't. I'm told that Cat only put 2 rings on the piston, which causes blowby issues. I'm going to bore mine out, sleeve it, and go back with factory spec rings. Heavyquip can get all the parts. I think the older 953's had 3304's in them, and I'm not sure if they had sleeves or not...

  102. #102BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-08 21:45

    Boy no liners ...... That means to do a o/h engine has to come completely out....... I ssure would have thought they had sleeves. And 2 rings !!!!!!! No wonder they have blow by. You bet one thing if i get a machine i want linners in it.... That way i can inframe it like a semi engine.........

  103. #103denver m farms2013-01-08 22:07

    No you do not have to drop the pan to drain the oil on any rear engine cat.

  104. #104BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-08 22:11

    DID some research on the loader engines, heres what i found out. 943 has a 3204,no linners 953 has a 3204, no linners a 963 has a 3304 has linners a 973 has a 3306 and has linners so all but the 963 is out for me. sure pays to do your home work on things.

  105. #105jmoney862013-01-08 23:15

    Now, I believe starting with the 953c, they started putting 3116's or 3126's in them. Somebody with a later model machine care to chime in?

  106. #106Rusted2013-01-09 03:50

    You are right, I believe the first 953C's series 2ZN had the 3116, the later BBX series C's had the 3126B.

  107. #107BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-09 12:12

    I want a mechanical fuel injection engine. The electronic f/i is the "c" and "d" also they start with all the epa emissions stuff. I believe the "d" even has the additive system you put in for the exhaust. Boy is that expensive to run and maintain.

  108. #108Dickjr.2013-01-09 18:52

    Bob , sent you a pm with info about 43 and 53B. It'd be a good weekend trip come up Friday night , run them the next day make a decision head home Sunday morning. Its 2 hours North of Nashville or possible you may want to go through Somerset then Cumberland Parkway. You could even pull oil samples and send off for more insurance. I've done all I can do , the balls in your corner.

  109. #109BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-09 21:55

    Thanks think i,am gonna be in the market for a 963. Looked at one today but it sure was ruff gonna pass on it. Its in greeneville , tn. And on ebay now.

  110. #110denver m farms2013-01-09 23:20

    About 3 years ago we bought a 1989 963 open cab that needed about 3000$ worth of work, but had 100% brand new cat u/c and was a very good running machine and we paid 18000$.We bought it from L and L equipment in fairview, tn. They have been good to deal with on what we have bought from them, you might want look at what they have on machinery trader.

  111. #111CM19952013-01-10 06:33

    The B's have the 3116 engine in them as well. The "A" models had the 4 cylinder.

  112. #112mudober2013-01-10 14:26

    I like the 953.

  113. #113Dickjr.2013-01-10 15:31

    The early 63s with the 3304 seem like they have better power than the 63B and C. Especially in wet condtions when you turn and sink down , just seems to bog down the 3116 as the machine weighs over 40k pounds. I always wondered what the 3306 would be like in a 63. Certainly wouldn't use any more fuel. It seems a 63 can be bought resonable for under 30 in good condition. I did have a A model 63 rented , it was sluggish as far as the trans response. A 963C with 3800 hrs , full cab one owner just sold for 30k here about a month ago.I didn't learn of it until it was sold or it would be mine. Good luck. Check out ironplanet auctions. They offer a return policy on the ironclad assurance machines. I have bought from them and did refuse a machine. Had my money back in 2 weeks.

  114. #114Matthew2013-01-10 16:47

    I have a 953 A for use on the farm. It does the job perfectly. If you get into stumps, you will have to do some digging, but it will drop just about any tree you will encounter with ease, load it and stack it into a pile. Track loaders are not good in wet or soft ground.

  115. #115BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-10 18:30

    My cat dealer told me the 963's that were mechanical engines had 3304's. I,d rather have a 3116, they was very good old style engines and gave no trouble.

  116. #116Dickjr.2013-01-10 22:05

    The 3116 has no liners. I thought you wanted one you could inframe? All the 3116 were mechanical , the 3126 they went to ecm and had the push button idle control.

  117. #117BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-10 22:20

    I,AM GETTING confused here. probably my ignorance but i want a 963"B" WHICH is the last model 963 that was a mechanical fuel injection engine and it is supposed to have the 3304 which has linners right ?

  118. #118Dickjr.2013-01-10 22:53

    All the 63B have 3116.The A models have the 3304 which in my opinion is as good or better, seem to have good torque. Ritchie Specs has all the info on these machines. None were ecm until 2004 , I think. The 3116 is good in the 53 as it has good power for size. I look at it like this a 53 equals a D5 so the 3116 is ok , the 63 is at the weight of a D6R so to me its a little light in power with the 3116. They are harder on fuel also. My thoughts and that only a 3306 would be awesome in the 63 and I can't see it using much more if any fuel as the smaller motor is always lugging.

  119. #119Shenandoah2013-01-13 20:27

    Saw this video today about a 963C and thought of this thread. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlG_xvGnUXY One of the posters mentioned gettin' her stuck in the swampy parts and boy does this video bring that to mind...

  120. #120BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-13 20:36

    While watching that viedo laurel and hardy came to mind. That loader operator needed to be fired for getting into that position and with that track hoe there why couldnt the 2 work together to get the 1 unstuck. Those 2 wreckers ate up a bunch of $$$$$$. You have to use your brain.... I,am no operator but even i know not to get into that delima. Nice post though.

  121. #121charles walton2013-01-20 21:55

    In the older machines,only the 963 has a 3304,the 43 and 53 have 3204,the 3304 does have liners the 3204 does not.

  122. #122charles walton2013-01-20 22:12

    I read down a little further and saw that you had already found that out,I used to have a 63 A model and I did everything from clearing and excavating to back filling basements,I have also ran several B and C models in the 53 and 63 if you can find a good A model 63 you will be pleased with it.The very first 63's had a narrower track than the later ones I ran one of those for a few months back in 03,it had been reconditioned by Yancey Bros. Caterpillar in Atlanta and it was a fine machine,I will have to do some checking to see if my memory is right but I think the 21z series is when they started the wide track width that was an A model and the B and C is the same width.There are a lot of 63's for sale in my area if you have not found what you're looking for let me know and I will do a little calling around.

  123. #123BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-20 23:01

    Thank you for your info and help charles walton. I,ll let you know. Regards bob

  124. #124DMiller2013-01-21 09:06

    Back in the 80's the Cat 3208 series truck engines came into their own, they were bored blocks and two rings to keep them cheap, light, just effective as trucks became more throw away. People that bought them did not consider this until they went to do repairs, engines were torn down for overhauls, nothing seemed to hold together, then Cat offered 'Crate' motors, considered as remans most were new and just cheaper than doing full bore/sleeve job overhauls. The 3204 is just a offshoot of the engine series as devices were more designed for a service life then scrap at end of life, they want to sell machines not parts to fix old ones.

  125. #125ih1002013-01-21 13:51

    Don't you believe it. Some parts of the business, the parts sales are a huge earner.

  126. #126DMiller2013-01-21 17:20

    Been through this with a parts man at our local Cat dealer, you can still get a lot of the older most common Cat parts but many are getting thin as to inventory and they are not making replacements, especially for the odd units that were sold in low numbers. His aftermarket suppliers are where a great deal of the odds and ends are now coming from and he was not very enthused as to that. He said the V-rail business or Valueparts as they are known in EU are cutting them a new tush with cutrate prices, the stuff is throwaway when it wears down it is just scrap iron and his company is a distributor. Most of Cat supplies are now overseas, and those manufacturing facilities are set for short longevity and then replace the whole assembly, as these 3204 engines. Cat just got out of the big truck markets here, tired of the Tier 3 & 4 engine demands from the EPA, could no longer compete in a limited market.

  127. #127BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-21 22:27

    Yea i see this in the tier 3 & 4 engines on semi trucks. There not the engines of the old days, engine life is shorter, they dirty oil alot faster and there is so much "stuff" mounted to the engine its a bugger to work on. And that additive you have to add to the exhaust is expensive.......

  128. #128Dickjr.2013-01-29 16:12

    Checked the whayne site today and that 63 is no longer listed. I never got the chance to look at it , was going into the city later this week and was gonna take a look then. Oh well ,I will make sure it is gone , if its still there I'll get some pics from a buyers point of view. Or have you scored yet? The guy that has the 953C that I run said he was thinking of selling it , which I hope he don't as the rental deal works for me. Its a decent machine has 14,000 hrs though. It runs and operates as it should and has a good u/c. It needs cosmetics and some cylinders sealed. Whats the latest?

  129. #129BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-29 23:16

    My ex carter cat rep told me 2-5k hrs and its time for u/c dependint on what its run in and 10k time for engine o/h once again depends on the life and maint its got. By 15k with perfect maint its time for hydro work. I,am looking for a 63 with no more than 4000 hrs and 500 miles from me. Bob

  130. #130Dickjr.2013-01-30 17:39

    Your gonna have a time finding a 63 with the 3304 with less than 4000 hrs. Your gonna have to most likely settle for more hours. A good evaluation is going to be the best way to find a machine. Your familiar with engines , so you should be able to make up your own mind on that. The u/c can be checked by sight or you can hire it done by ultrasound. Oil sample analysis would be key also. Sample the engine , trans , hydaulics , finals . Do you have your own pump for this? I believe your gonna be more in line with 10k hrs. Don't be afraid off that either. I know your ex cat rep may well be looking out for you but a 63 A with under 4000 hrs would be like finding a late 80s early 90s KW with 300k miles on it.

  131. #131BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-30 19:46

    Really a 63b or c if i have to. If i have to do a bunch of rebuilding i might as well spend the $ and get newer. I,am in no pressing hurry and shopping isnt that bad with the internet. Also i have a trucker with a drop deck that will go where ever i need him to for reasonable and he's dependable enough to send cash or any form of payment with to get it. He's a good mech also .

  132. #132Dickjr.2013-01-30 22:52

    I'll keep my eyes peeled for "the one". Are you willing to spend upwards of thirty? If so you should be able to find a good machine. Time on your side helps also. Alot of construction company will be in the spring and can it in the late fall. If they get a good one they will keep it. These electronics really are not that hard to work on. Most have a self diagnostic and there are ways to calibrate switches without a lap top. I've done it in the field. How many hours are you planning to put on it should also play into what you get. I do know the newer models with the pilot controls are easy on you to operate. One thing about a 63 , if you have soft ground you may want to consider a 53. These 63 are a pretty good size outfit. Around here not practicle for residential, can't really get close to foundations and the lots are less than 1/2 acre. Look at ironplanet.com and set up an account. If the machine they are selling has the ironclad assurance don't be afraid to buy it sight unseen. You have a period to refuse it. I have bought from them several times. They can be trusted better than most small lots.

  133. #133CM19952013-01-31 07:16

    Ritchie Brothers has an auction in Feb in Orlando with 19 track loaders. Might be worth the trip. www.rbauction.com

  134. #134BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-31 17:01

    Sand and machinery dont mix. Look at all the military vehicles comming back from irac & afgn. There all junk

  135. #135Extractorfan2013-01-31 17:58

    Dont forget big machines are like pelicans - big bills! have fun good luck.

  136. #136Extractorfan2013-01-31 18:11

    I believe the 943 had cat-mitsubushi engines fitted - I heard they were heavy breathers.Good luck

  137. #137Dickjr.2013-01-31 19:23

    3204 non turbo. Decent in a 43 sucked in a 53.

  138. #138Dickjr.2013-01-31 19:28

    Alot of this machinery is trucked in from all directions. Even our dealers here in KY send stuff down there to sale. If its a no sale the really complain about return shipping. If I had the time I'd love to go to that sale. Before I'd pass judgement on any of those machines I'd have to see it eye to metal. Some of the LGP stuff 6s or bigger are used in beach restoration so I'd watch those. The loaders rarely see that type of work. I've always thought it would be nice to watch the auction , enjoy some good weather and play a little golf in the process.

  139. #139BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-31 20:20

    I FOUND A REALLY NICE 43 HERE LOCAL WITH RIPPER BUT I HAVE ALMOST 500 ACRES TO RECLAIM AND SOME REALLY BIG TREES TO DEAL WITH. I BELIEVE A 63 WOULD BE HAPPY ON THE FARMS. HERES A LINK TO THE 43. ITS SHARP AND COME FROM A ESTATE SALE WHEN THE ORIGINAL OWNER DIED. http://tricities.craigslist.org/grd/3578320040.html

  140. #140Dickjr.2013-01-31 20:47

    Nice looking 43. 500 acres , yeah a 63 would be better. Depends on how much time you want to spend in the seat. Fuel consumption would be far less. A thought would be buy the 43 , if you have a number of big trees , have a 6 come in and knock them over and take it from there. That 43 will take out a good sized tree , if its that straight and you could get it for around 20 or 22 , I'd jump on it. Or you could clear what your comfortable with and rent a 6 for a weekend for the really large stuff. How big of a tree are you talking ? The 43 would take out a 30" tree at the base, just takes a bit.

  141. #141BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-31 20:56

    The 2 farms i,am buying are 250 acres each and 5-6 miles apart. 1 is just cleanning up about 10-15 acres pf growth and some big old trees you have to touch your head to your shoulder to see the top... Also the entrance drive needs about 100-200 loads of dirt/rock to improve access to it for semi truck accessability. The second farm isnt as nice it has a bunch of acres that need reclaiming and a dozen hills that need to be leveled out as grass grows good on 1 side and not so good on the other because of lack of sun. Just needs a summers worth of tlc with a cat ! I,ve got that 943 in the bck of my mind. I like that it has a ripper. Wonder if i could use the ripper hyd. Circuit to run a 4-1 bucket ? Say t it in somehow ? I know probably i couldnt use ripper and 4-1 just 1 of them.

  142. #142sealark372013-02-01 09:47

    On my 943, the 4n1 bucket and the ripper use the same valve. You have to select which one you wish to operate by positioning the diverter valve control beside the control valve.

  143. #143BCOWANWHEELS2013-02-01 15:25

    Thanks sealark37

  144. #144CM19952013-02-01 19:23

    A track loader is a rarity in Florida plus most of that equipment is trucked in from around the eastern portion of the US. I would wager a gentleman's bet that none of those track loaders have seen the sands of Florida. The RB auction is a huge event and their pretty smart, have the auction in Orlando - dad gets to go to auction, mom and kids get to got to Disney World. Really they have it there because its close to shipping ports for foreign buyers.

  145. #145Shenandoah2013-02-01 20:17

    Bob, Thought you might get a kick out of "Gramps" unloading his 953. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xfNR7RSsGQ Don't try this at home...

  146. #146Dickjr.2013-02-01 20:39

    I wish I hadn't watched that , I read that it was a fatal accident as one would think.

  147. #147Dickjr.2013-02-01 20:41

    There was a pretty sharp fellow that posted some of this above .

  148. #148Shenandoah2013-02-01 21:17

    DJ, I don't think anything was killed in that video except Gramps' pride.

  149. #149Scrub Puller2013-02-02 00:54

    Yair . . . Dunno fellers I've been following this thread and cannot get my head around the concept of using a track loader for clearing . . . can someone tell me why . . . particularly without a four in one . . . to me it would be about as usefull for clearing as **** on a bull. C'mon please set me straight. Cheers.

  150. #150OldandWorn2013-02-02 08:25

    I would say it all comes down to money and trying to even justify the ownership of a machine. If you look at this as an individual who would like to own ONE piece of equipment they try to pick a machine that will give the most universal usage. Granted, it may be better in the long run to just rent what you need but if you have never been in the earthmoving business the thought of owning a large chunk of yellow iron often clouds the mind. I have 2 jobs at the moment where a small dozer would be the machine of choice but I can’t justify buying or even renting one so I make do with what I have. I think a track loader with a quick attach on the front would be the cat’s meow. It wouldn't perform as well as each individual machine but it would eventually get the job done.

  151. #151CM19952013-02-02 09:53

    Scrub I have cleared many an acre with my 953 and it doesn't have a 4in1 and don't want one. 4in1's on track loaders are rare as hen's teeth in my parts, folks just don't run them. I can push more brush than I can carry with a 4n1. Interesting how different machines and techniques are regional and can vary widely but the desired result is the same. That's how I do it and we all know there are 100 different ways to skin a cat.

  152. #152Scrub Puller2013-02-02 13:32

    Yair . . . CM1995 As you say the regional thing is interesting and you put it well when you said "the desired result is the same". . . that's all that realy matters. I have no doubt you can clear with a tracked loader but the original poster stated he was going shopping specifically for a machine to clear some overgrown areas, some scrub and do general earthwork on a farm . . . there was no mention of excavation or chucking the odd bucket of dirt on a truck on a truck. The point I make is that a 80-100 hp dozer with an angle blade, tree spear, rippers and maybe a simple cutter-bar is a less complex and more effective tool for the stated application. Cheers.

  153. #153Dickjr.2013-02-02 16:05

    Scrub , most people around here also believe a dozer is the way to clear. I've used both , and from my experience a track loader does well clearing. You can reach higher and get more leaverage on a tree , pick it up and drop it to shake dirt off the root ball , and use the teeth to remove any roots sticking up out of the ground. I followed an excavator last year , he would pop the trees up and lay them down , this made my job more difficult as the trees tended to splinter and it would leave part of the stump in the ground. I'd love to have a ripper on my dozer , its a D39 Komatsu , same as TD9 Dressta.

  154. #154denver m farms2013-02-04 22:51

    Bob, I saw a 963 that says it has 250hrs on the engine,and 100hrs on the trans. for about 18000$ i think it would be about 500 miles for you. it was on the springfield mo craigslist.

  155. #155BCOWANWHEELS2013-02-05 21:56

    Thanks fellas all your thoughts are appreciated.

  156. #156wosama931b2013-04-28 20:14

    Hi BCOWANWHEELS, I saw a 973 on the A block, it looked like a 4/1 bucket, 6000 hrs. it will go for nearly nothing, in Pa., the trany needs some work. sam