I recently purchased an H80 and was wanting to know if anyone knows if the starter is a wet starter. When I fill the transmission up fluid comes out of the starter solenoid as the starter is a unsealed version like on a truck. I don't have the engine manual so I cant reference the starter part number. Thanks for any info Rob
Probably a wet flywheel as most of the old Houghs were. Easy way to tell would be to look at the bottom of flywheel housing or converter housing and see if there is about a one inch hose from there to the transmission case, that would be the drain hose. Maybe post a picture or two of the machine showing the engine, torque converter and transmission. Some one might be able to spoat something that might help. Many starters even those used with dry flywheel applications have seals that keep dirt and oil out of the electrical parts. A picture of the starter might help too! I think you have to post on this site a few times before you can post pictures so just post a few times about different things like what you bought this H80 for and maybe what you do for a living and such!
Hough... woof! there's a flashback I did not need! LOL
my h90e has a wet bell im pretty sure. i dont know how full it normally runs when running but ive never had any come out the starter hole.
Hey now! I made a good living fixing those things back in the day! Not sure I would feel the same if I owned one! At least they were better than the Trojans, I think Trojan bought all the parts that Hough decided not to buy! Had one with a 903 Cummins if that tells you anything!
The only Trojans I worked on came from Rexall, lol. Hough ended up as International Payloader as I recall, nothing wrong with them really. I did work on a few, all of them tired beyond belief. Thinking back on it, I can't remember any brand ever being fun to work on, the only reward ever I think was bringing them back to life.
Hough's became International and then Dressers before being absorbed more or less by Komatsu. If I was to pick my favorite Front End Loader I would probably go for a Pre-ROPS 966C Cat. Pretty basic systems and parts not too heavy. And if in good repair they were pretty fast and maneuverable.
Thanks everyone who replied. Kshansen I'm a facilities supervisor at Empire aerospace up in North Idaho and I purchased this for my work which is at a hanger on an airport to move snow around. The loader used to be a county rig and its in great shape other than the rams leaked which we already rebuilt along with a few other leaks including the one I posted about, and I'm not entirely sure the year I believe its an 86. It says International on the loader but Hough in the service manual which I assume is one and the same. As for the starter I believe its the wrong one as the trans fluid pours out of the solenoid when its full which makes sense as the housing is wet. I'm just not sure what the starter part number would be as it seems everything on this thing is hard to find parts for but the one on it is a 1113340 delco 24 volt.
You say it's 24 volt but when I do a search on that 1113340 I see this: http://www.delcoremy.com/find-a-part/product-details/1113340 Any chance of a nice clear closeup picture of the starter? Also do you know what engine is in this loader, maybe an IH of some kind?
Let me get a pic and its a DT466 international
Do you know if the starter on your H90 is a wet starter?
To me that looks like a 40MT Delco starter. Quick couple questions from the picture below: Is the oil that you say is leaking coming out where the orange arrow is pointing? Next question if the starter has plugs like the one the green arrow is pointing to is there oil in there by the brushes? It should be dry but probably a bit dry and dusty from the brush wear. I'd still be checking for a drain line on or near the bottom of the converter housing, also check to see if there is a breather on the top of the converter housing and one on the transmission case. Plugged breather can cause problems with oil not draining out of converter housing. I seem to recall on some of the large Hough loaders that they had a plastic about 1/2 inch line between the converter housing and transmission case and a mushroom shaped breather in a tee at one end or the other. Do you have a prats book for this loader? If not I would look on line and see if you can get one I think I saw a few for $50-$60.00 to me a very good investment. Even better if you can get operation manual and a full service manual. All three might cost a couple hundred but if you plan on keeping and using this machine for a few years it will save you that much or more.
No its dry where the brushes are. The fluid is coming out where the seal is on the solenoid by the wire connections. I do have a service manual and a parts manual for it but they don't have much on the engine. Nothing in either for the starter. I was assuming that the fluid getting into the lever housing would be an issue and that there would be a seal to keep it from getting that far. I suppose it could be the fluid not draining quick enough back out of the converter housing. I did replace the hose from the bottom of the housing to the transmission but I did not see until yesterday there is a screen at the entry point on the trans which I will pull today and clean.
I really need an operators manual for it as I don't know how much fluid the trans/ converter takes. It would be nice to know to see if the trans is pushing fluid into the converter housing but not returning.
Do you by chance have the owners manual? If so does it say how much the trans takes via quantity?
I dont think its anything special, but i do have a hose coming from the bell to the transmission.
I do have a manual at my shop, i can look at it for you. I want to say 7ish gallons but dont quote me on that.
That would be awesome if you could. Much appreciated.
Never mind I found a manual for it. Thanks again
Well I put the correct amount of fluid in after cleaning all screens breathers and replacing all filters and it doesn't seem to leak out of the starter as of yet. So fingers crossed. Thanks again for everyone's help
I’m late to this conversation but I have a 1979 H80B and all the manuals: parts, service, engine,and operators manuals. Sounds like we have the same machine.
Well I ran it for about 20 minutes and sure enough pouring trans fluid out of the starter. Any ideas?
Here is the starter you need. This starter looks a little different than your OEM, but it works. If it shows up as pictured, you'll need to flip the bendix drive 180 degrees, which you can easily do by pulling the six allen bolts, rotating the drive, and reinstalling the bolts. You can make your own gasket that goes between the starter and the bell housing but you need to have a gasket there. https://amzn.to/3or2R5T
Hi Eric thanks for the reply. I ended up pulling the converter and found four bolts from the internal cone came off and ended up locking the converter on which is why the fluid was coming out of the starter due to the converter never releasing. Shes running good now with a rebuilt converter.
Wow that must have been a job. Who did you use to rebuild the convertor if it comes up in my life?
They did a great job and rebuilt mine for 2k with a pretty messed up converter. Precision of New Hampton, Inc. 515 Bailey Avenue – New Hampton, IA 50659 Phone: 800.654.1220 – Fax: 877.394.5671 Website: www.GoPNH.com – Email: [email protected]
And yes it was quite the undertaking lol. But its running great now! had to build a plow for it too. Found this straight 18 Ft blade for 1000 and fabricated the mounts to attach straight to the loader. It works great for our pad for the aircraft
Rob, What transmission oil did they tell you to run, or what transmission oil are you running? My best puzzling was to use generic Case Hy-Tran but the transmission was originally specked to run Dexron II. Asking because I still need to change my transmission oil and filter and have barely run my machine so far. Thanks!
Really nice looking setup
Man I'm sorry for the delay to get back to you. I didn't see the post. I used dex-II. Seems to work great and its what was recommended. Thanks again for all your help
Rob, where did you find Dex II? I haven't been able to local a dealer or distributor.