I recently purchased an old s&b480 that has been converted from electric joystick to mechanical cable. All of the wiring has been disconnected. The machine functions fine except it will only travel in low speed. It does have 4 hydraulic lines on the travel motors but no switch for the high/low. Would anyone have any knowledge of where to find or how to find the location of the solenoids to shift the speed. Also I heard that the manual was in Japanese. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Try looking under covers on the machine for the block shown in the pdf attachment. "SOL B" is the travel speed change solenoid. The pilot hose from port "C" on the block will connect to the center joint to supply down to the travel motors and is usually a small 1/4 inch hose connection. Best regards
Kobe Thank you for the message. I have to get to my office in the morning so i can review and print out the attachments you sent. I have been at my camp all weekend and will get back on this in the morning. Greatly appreciated!
Ok Kobe, I have this printed out. I am pretty sure I have been messing with this. I put 12 volts to it with one track off the ground and engaged the track but it did not change speed. It does have a small click when powered. Could I remove or loosen the line from port C and power it to see if I have flow? There are two solenoids on that block just alike. Is one for each track or is B for both tracks?
Would this be the block and solenoid you are referring to maybe?
I would think that is the block with the two speed solenoid (possibly the top solenoid in your pic). Only one solenoid is required to activate the high speed on both tracks as the hydraulic signal to activate the travel speed is divided into 2 signals at the center joint, one for the left track and one for the right. If the solenoid is energizing then you should be able to put a small Allen key or screw driver on the solenoid nut and feel it magnetize to the nut. It would be better to take the cover panel off that exposes the travel motor on one of the track drives and remove the 2 speed hose to see if oil flow starts and stops when you power the 2 speed solenoid.
Kobe, You were exactly right. It was the top one. Raised one track and powered it and it worked. So i dont know why it didnt before but it did this time. Most of my efforts was on the other one but I had tried it. Anyway, Got it all hooked up on a toggle. Works great. The old machine is in really good shape considering. I really appreciate your help. Its very nice of you to share your knowledge with people like me. Best regards from Louisiana, Benny
Glad you got it sorted, Thanks Benny Best Regards