Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Happy father’s day

funwithfuel · 2018-06-16 12:12

Just wanted to take a moment to tell all you muthas, happy father's day. I found this place at a time when I had too much time on my hands. You guys gave me a place to exercise my noggin and help folks a little while doing so. I don't have the most experience or variety in product, but I got a bit. Sharing helps retain it before it's lost forever. Thanks and happy father's day

Replies14
  1. #1f311fr12018-06-16 15:35

    Pic of my Fathers Day present from my 42 year old son.

  2. #2JD955SC2018-06-16 20:19

    Dad was very proud of my career move of becoming a heavy equipment mechanic. Even though he wasn’t a professional mechanic he had always worked on anything and everything at the house, from the cars to the tractors to the old D-7 cable operated dozer he had. The man could fix anything with nothing, he had true god given talent to do it and was a perfectionist of the highest order. I wanted to take him to one of the big historical equipment shows and I wanted to show him my shop at work but I never got to do either as he died unexpectedly this year. I really like being on here because a lot of you guys remind me of him. He was always interested in heavy equipment, especially cranes since he used to work bridge construction with his grandfather and run them back before he had to leave that line of work to help his father with his business. I did put some of his tools and my grandfathers tools into my box at work last week. Happy Father’s Day. It’s a rough one for me (this year it would have also been his 61st birthday) but hope it’s happier for y’all

  3. #3funwithfuel2018-06-16 20:39

    The things our fathers, father figures, uncles and so on, the things they give us to develop ourselves into what we are. I don't think anyone truly appreciates what they pass on to others. By the time those seeds grow, it's very often too late. Previous generations lit the fuse at both ends. Career and responsibilities on one side, family on the other and some also had duty to country. All I can do is call those that are still with us to say thanks, and pray that the others knew what they passed on to me to provide for mine. I hope that all who have helped make me what I am, know what an impact they made. Sorry, not trying to get sappy here. But JD955SC really sums it up. Say thanks now. Do what you want to do now. Tomorrow might not come. Share with your kids/family, whatever. There's no guarantee. Be safe and enjoy the day.

  4. #4td25c2018-06-17 07:46

    My biggest regret was not starting a family sooner in life . Pretty funny at the little league ball games . The 20 something old parents think I'm the boy's Papaw . LOL ! As usual this time of year grass is growing like crazy . Start out this morning with 3 lawn tractor repairs . Caught one on fire yesterday ( idler bearing burnt out ) . Kept smelling somthin burning ..... Little grass fire on top of the mower deck . Had to make a quick decision ! Do I pour the barley soda on the fire now or take a chance driving the water hydrant ? We made it to the water hydrant in time & was able the save the Hamm's .

  5. #5wornout wrench2018-06-17 14:15

    JD955SC Like you, may father was proud of my choice to become a HD Mech. He had my tickets framed for me. Unlike your father, he was not much of a handy man, he was a manager of a logging company. He was used to having people do what he asked. He was very successful at what he did. He understood machinery since he was alway buying equipment for the company. He was a pretty shrewd horse trader, no question about it. The companies that he ran always made money, always worked. Last time I saw my father alive he came up for a visit. I was running a shop at the time so I was able to show him around, show him all the machinery we had and what we were repairing. I had a good crew who liked me and the owner of the company was a friend, so he came away very impressed. Made dad proud to see how his little boy turned out. We had a big family dinner later that night. He was dead a few weeks later. We as a family had to make the decision to remove him from life support. One of the hardest things I have ever done. That was nine years ago and I still miss talking to him. There is a void. Guys, if your dad is still around, give him a call or better yet give him a hug.

  6. #6td25c2018-06-17 21:01

    We got one lawn tractor back on line this morning . Had the bearing in stock for the idler pulley . Left over stock for the Allis Chalmers corn planter Drilled the spot welds & split it in half with a chisel . Installed new bearing & pop riveted it . Back to the race track & Happy Fathers Day !

  7. #7AzIron2018-06-17 21:10

    first one for me sure an exciting time in life got these pictures a couple weeks ago some of my fondest memories in life was working with dad growing up plus the bonus of working with granddad the perks of a family business i guess. all the things i learned and never realized are becoming more evident to me now starting to raise my son. i truly am blessed i get to work with my dad everyday again and to me its priceless

  8. #8td25c2018-06-17 22:05

    I love it Aziron ! Cool photos of the Family . Going to get out that direction one of these day's . Would love to cruise through Tortilla Flats AZ . Interesting country !

  9. #9Ct Farmer2018-06-17 22:15

    I hadn't planned it but after a year of work on the excavator we got for the farm, today was the day to get it out of the shop and give it a run. Few kinks to work out but all is well. After a few minutes Dad comes over and says let me give it a go. He jumps in there, I give him a guick rundown on how to run it and away he goes. 79 years old and in no time he's pushing the 50 ton machine around like he's been running it for ages. Thing is he never operated one before. Always could learn to operate anything in no time. In an hour he's got all cylinders moving and swinging the house at the same time. Amazing. Was really great to see him up there grinning away as each 3 yard bucket full hits the pile. Getting to work with your dad every day is a gift and often the unplanned little things are the most memorable.

  10. #10AzIron2018-06-17 22:21

    Td you can find any scenery you want in this state just not ocean front property

  11. #11td25c2018-06-17 22:46

    My plan is if we ever ran short of cash we would head out your direction & dig up that " Dutchman Mine " . Should be pretty easy money ..... Now how many paces was it from " Weavers Needle " ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Dutchman's_Gold_Mine#/media/File:Weaversneedle.jpg

  12. #12AzIron2018-06-17 23:05

    Ha you would have better luck on the lottery

  13. #13td25c2018-06-17 23:06

    Time for plan B .....

  14. #14td25c2018-06-30 23:26