Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Happy new/old Case 580SM+ owner

Mnagel55 ยท 2021-06-02 15:17

Had to google what + meant and know nothing about backhoes other than what I have learned operating the last 5 hours of machine time! My Dad always had old equipment around so I know as little, but not a thing about backhoes - Pretty sure the guy who sold it to me thought I was nuts. Have a farm in terrible need of some clean up - stumps etc. so she isnt going to be worked too hard. She is a lovely older model (2004) with about 10k hours and everything important works really well. Not everything is 100% though and I would like to try to improve what I can.The tach works up to 1500 RPM but thats as far as it goes. The hour meter (which is a part of the same gauge) must have failed awhile back and the previous owner added in a 2nd one as a result. The cluster works, except for those parts (and perhaps a bulb or 2). I have seen some threads of taking this cluster a part, but before I go there does anyone have some thoughts/advice? My next problem is that it has difficulties finding first gear and 2nd-4th seem to take more effort than they should, but getting that 1st gear 'slot' is a PITA. I have downloaded manuals and done some searching but would really appreciate some pointers if anyone has any. And my AC doesnt work...LOL but thats not a priority

Replies3
  1. #1Billrog2021-06-02 16:05

    I have an 04 and getting into first takes a bit of fooling around but I use it so seldom it doesn't matter. As for the other 2 gears lube up the linkage and see of that helps.

  2. #2redranch2021-06-02 23:04

    Mine is a 06 SM series 2 shuttle shift but same problem going into gear from neutral. Here is how I found out how to do it with out using force. Have transmission in neutral, push cutout on transmission , put selector in reverse. keep letting up and pushing cutout till gears line up, when do put in gear push selector back to neutral.

  3. #3Mnagel552021-06-06 15:41

    That's awesome. Thanks. How did you ever figure that sequence out?