Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Happy with the kx121

amazincaucasian ยท 2014-03-06 23:45

Upgraded from a Bobcat 331 to a Kubota kx121-3 a few weeks ago and have been extremely happy! It's only about a ton heavier, but is A LOT more machine with a dramatic increase in reach. The dealer warned that the A/C doesn't keep you as cold as you'd expect, so I plan to tint the windows before hot weather. I can understand the air conditioning problem on these because there's so much glass that even at temps below freezing, I've found that my heater doesn't get that much of a workout. In fact it generally stays off if the sun is shining. As far as performance, it's smooth, fast, and has a better drive system than any other mini that I've ran. Real stable feeling. Even digging over the side. Love the 6-way blade. Really I didn't think I'd use it much except for backfilling trenches. Comfortable cab with plenty of room for real tall guys. Just had to brag on Kubota. I really think they nailed it on this machine http://youtu.be/KYXClHoCrzU

Replies14
  1. #1amazincaucasian2014-03-06 23:52

    Pics of the 121

  2. #2apm2014-03-07 13:34

    That brown stuff you're calling dirt, in the video, looks like the same stuff we use for filler between the rocks here in East Tennessee! Greg

  3. #3melli2014-03-07 21:12

    A lot more machine? With it being in a different weight class, I'd hope so... Although, oddly, my 331 has a slightly higher rated engine HP...a Kubota 2.2l no less. I see a 2ft reach differential, which does make a difference. The bucket breakout ratings differ by 250lbs, and the arm breakout by just over 100lbs. The 331 is slightly faster in high range and same in low... 6 way blade does sound handy. Glad to hear your happy with it.

  4. #4amazincaucasian2014-03-08 00:45

    I don't look at specs too much. I'd rather plant my ass in the seat and see what I have. All i knew was this kubota was a couple thousand pounds heavier. But the first time i threw that bucket out and grabbed some dirt, i could see this was a whole new ballgame. Even compared to other new machines id tried out in the same weight class. One thing I have since noticed (as far as specs) is that when i serviced it the other day, my Kubota has the same motor as my 331. Which tells me I'm reaching farther, digging deeper, making a wider pass with the blade, swinging a bigger bucket, and generally moving more material in a day while using about the same fuel. Kubota hasn't compromised speed and power by using a smaller engine than bobcat. This thing will work faster than I can think, (which isn't hard). But I have ran fast machines before, and after putting over 40 hours on the Kubota, I still haven't needed to run it much over half-throttle. It's got plenty of bottom. As far as speed and power, I think hydraulics is as important as horsepower, maybe more. I don't aim to bash Bobcat or any other brand. I hope this machine is as dependable as my 331 has been. But as i mentioned above, i tried out others, and this was the Cadillac.

  5. #5jack3452014-03-08 11:56

    That's a great looking Kx ! I get about 7-9 hrs on 5 gal of diesel. Looks like you may have a winter project on making a thumb.

  6. #6amazincaucasian2014-03-08 17:31

    Thanks, you're exactly right on the thumb. And yea, thats about what i got with the 331 and what i expect on this one. Another pic

  7. #7amazincaucasian2014-03-08 17:38

    Convenient spit cup location. This is of paramount importance!

  8. #8murphy7772014-03-09 13:17

    I've rented the same kubota machine a few times and they really are a nice and smooth rig, good cab design and quiet too! Keep a lid on your spitter because when it bumps and tips it goes all over the controls....Skoal spit makes the throttle stick...hahaha good choice!

  9. #9nedly052014-03-09 20:07

    I have the same machine, absolutely love it. I have a thumb and a tilt bucket for attachments. Its like a swiss army knife!

  10. #10amazincaucasian2014-03-10 23:36

    Haha good advice murphy777! Yes it sure is quiet. My water superintendents have commented on that. The quietness is ice when they're listening for leaks. Used to, I had to dig a few passes,the shut it off while they listened. Wash,rinse, repeat.. Nedley05-I. Definitely need to invest in some attachments. I been wanting a trench fang. Thumb, maybe even a grapple.

  11. #11amazincaucasian2014-03-16 13:24

    Got a chance to do some work before the rain set in and recorded some random stuff http://youtu.be/kBYP7L5exk8 http://youtu.be/k9Ryuup11Lc

  12. #12JNB2014-03-16 15:23

    I only need an ex every other month or so, so like murph, I rent. My rental dealer has a nice 121 cab like yours and it's a pleasure to run all day. I've had it out for multiple days in high heat and humidity and I think you'll be surprised at how good the a/c actually works. Much better than the Kubota ctl's, that's for sure.

  13. #13amazincaucasian2014-03-16 20:42

    Hey JNB! Thanks. I clicked on your website link. Great looking work. How do you rate the Kubota CTLs? Other than the a/c haha

  14. #14JNB2014-03-16 21:31

    Thanks! I've used Kubota ctl's only as frequent rentals over the last three years to be honest and I don't have much to compare them to. I logged quite a few hours on the SVL75, but only 100 or so on the SVL90. The 75 is a nice compact and strong pushing machine, but there are a few things that I didn't like. As you've seen me mention before, the most annoying being the air/heat vents all on one side. One side of the cab was always too warm in the summer and in the winter my feet froze while the rest of the cab was too hot. The tracks not wanting to counter rotate with a loaded bucket at anything but full tilt was a pain too. I ran the 90 mostly with a mulching head. It seemed like the hydraulics couldn't keep up and the machine always wanted to run pretty hot. I ended up getting a CASE TR320. I'll still rent the 90 when I have mulching jobs though since I don't have high flow.