Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hard Facing a Brand New Bucket

KevD815 ยท 2015-05-07 18:09

Hey guys, what are your thoughts on hard facing a brand new bucket? I have been working on buckets for a number of years now and have always put some time on a bucket before it was hard faced. The idea is that the steel will work harden over time. The hard facing can then be applied to a slightly "tougher" base material. However, i have a new bucket with zero hours on it. Next week it leaves for the summer to dig in very rocky conditions. I'm not going to see it again till December and I would really like to give it a fighting chance for survival. What do you guys think?

Replies1
  1. #1lantraxco2015-05-07 19:23

    Git yer hood on and quit jawing about it, lol. Most quality buckets are made from material that's plenty tough to start with these days. I would, it can all work harden together as well as apart to my way of thinking. Used to hardface corner bits on the side for a Deere dealer I worked at, did them at home in secret so the weld shop didn't know about it! LOL. Working in shot rock it made a huge difference and we never got any failures, always wore out eventually never broke any.