Just a little poll to see how many people actually wears one or not?
It depends on what's being done. Wearing a hard hat all the time is senseless.
helmets Civil jobsites, Demo jobsites, any pipe work over 4' deep. any job where there is an overhead risk. any job where there are other subs working. ranch work, house excavation, gradin and other related task no. safety vest- yes 100% of the time. eye protection- yes 100% of the time. regards, cd if it were a yes or no question. i would say yes. where them all the time.
I wear one but before I die I'm gonna burn my hard hat in a fire that everyone on HEF will be able to see from there front yard.
Only when I have to which is most of the time. At times even when I'm running a closed cab machine.
Hard hats & vests on my guys, if they are in an enclosed rops the hat can come off, if they are in and out such as a water truck or to load the hat stays on.
As an independent contract mechanic I just follow suit with the jobs I'm on. Some times I'll wear it all day. Sometimes won't have it on for months at a time.
Back in the mid 90s in south florida and georgia it was considered an insult to wear one. It ain't like that now
Company policy at my job - wear your hard hat or find a new place to work.
most job sites I'm at require them! It seems the times they are a changing! 25 to 30 years ago you didn't see many!
We wear safety vest and safety glasses.....no hard hats yet. Not much of need for one in a landfill.
Most of the jobs I am on it is just me, so no need for a hard hat. Did a job a few years ago and had to have one anytime out of cab. I found an old tin one with a wide brim, on Ebay and it even had my name on it. The job supt. didn't like it, but that was ok no one cared for him either. He must of married the owners sister to get the job, what a clown.
i pretty much wear mine all the time. i also wear a vest out of habit and pretty much insist anyone around me does.
nah, i look up.
I didnt like wearing one .. But I have too!!! I dont even know I have it on now .. Same with safety glasses .. Just dont feel right without People should have to wear NOMEX coveralls around you mate Ear protection is a 100% Must as well ..
Don't forget some very dark glasses to cut the glare of those pasty white legs sticking out of the sk....I mean kilt.
Hard hat on all the time. Even driving around the site in the pickup! Saftey glasses as needed, and a saftey vest or an orange or green shirt at all times.
Glasses all the time, Vest or reflective work shirt all the time. I am a mechanic. If you want your tractor fixed leve me alone and don't mess with me about a hard hat. I will wear it on job that requires it but if I am two miles frome the nearest worker then I won't.
I dont wear a vest because it causes glare inside the cab.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne1aBZ4Gt-w
Only on jobs that require it. I wear a reflective shirt or vest all the time though
It is getting more prevalant that insurance companies won't cover contractors who don't have an osha compliant safety program that includes, hardhats, vests, safetyglasses, trench shoring, and all other safety concerns. Where I work you wear them or find another job. The contractors that get the work here, are the ones that have good safety programs and stellar safety records. Everyone wants to go home safe. Dirtfan
turbo, they beat me down. i do leave it unzipped in the cab, though.
Wearing a hardhat while on a piece of equipment with ROPS seems redundant to me. However, when not on equipment, I feel that hardhats are very needed, especially working around others. Not so much when working alone.
Everybody not in the cab of a machine wears one , and the only time outside you don't wear one on my site is when you're working over a wet well or around pumps so if they fall off they don't plug an intake stucture or inlet pipe. On the vest deal it's not policy but I buy all the guys on my crew 5 high vis shirts and a nice reflective carhartt jacket and rain suit.
I don,t wear a hard hat but should be find them heavy and awkward
Good luck getting on any mining property with out wearing a hard hat. We supply all of our guys hard hats, vests, glasses otherwise insurance company will frown.
All the time! My company is pretty strict on the policy I assumed most were
Eye protection & safety footwear are no brainers ......... To me working around machinery a hi-vis/reflective vest is a safety hazard, even if it has a zip or velcro fastening. Too easy to get tangled in something they shouldn't. Hi-vis shirts are much better and also don't get you sweating too much in hot climates either. Hard hats. Mandatory for us working outside the shop. Inside the shop the mechanics have to wear bump caps. They're much easier to work with as regards getting your head into tight spaces typically of machines and at the same time protect sufficiently from any bits of machinery that might be sticking out.
I work alone so the only time I need to wear one is at this one large quarry when I get out of the cab of my dump truck.Makes no sense at all to me why it's required half if not more of the time.Why just stop at the head,why not a complete body suit to protect other body parts?SHHHH--don't tell OSHA.
The company I work for now requires hardhats when needed, class 3 vests all the time, and safety glasses at all times unless operating enclosed cab equipment with the doors and windows closed. Open a door or window, like a front window of an excavator then you must be wearing glasses. Company I worked for about 7 yrs. ago required vest,glasses, gloves(when needed), and hardhats at ALL times. Even in equipment! Asked foreman why in enclosed cab equipment? He said if you have a rollover it will protect your head from hitting the inside of the cab. hahahahahahahha. My reply- 1.You have a rollover your hat is gonna fall off. 2. If you have a rollover you got bigger things to worry about than a bump on the head. He DIDN"t know what to say!
Hard hats when needed. When you are working on a site that is wide open and no overhead, flying objects or electrical shock hazards are present, then a hard hat is not needed IMO. I also think wearing a hard hat in a ROPS/FOPS equipped machine is just silly. Working in a ditch, around equipment or demo, then a hard hat is required. I think that safety glasses are more important and often overlooked, especially when you are in the shop or in the field, working on equipment. Of course a good set of work boots and long pants are a no brainer. I understand the CYA blanket safety policy's and they have their place on a large job with a lot of workers - although the best safety policy in the world that is beat into everyones head will not protect some of the morons that we run into on the jobsite.:cool2 Safe trenches are a no brainer. I want everyone working on my site to go home everyday, just like they showed up for work that morning.:usa
At my job it traffic orange shirt always, and hard hat when ever your out of equipment....... Ya I don't follow the hard hat rule 100%. But 9 times out of 10 I'm out grading all by myself. So I don't see a need for it. On a big road job with lots of guys workin, I'll wear it.
not today
Hi vis always, hard hat depends on the situation.
I feel it very necessary to where a hard hat while at the job site. I also feel it makes me look more proffesional.
We are required to wear one whenever out of the truck. Feel naked when its not on.
We are required to were one whenever out of the truck. Feel naked when its not on.
I wear hi vis and hard hat at all times. even though by the time i get to the job theres zero chance of overhead danger. I wear my hard hat on i the morning and take it off when i get to the yard because its easier to wear it all the time insted of remembering it at specific sites.
:jawdrop:jawdropWow! I am shocked my the answers! I can't believe 39% of people don't wear hard hats! Taht is just insane! I am hoping most of those people put down that answer because they don't require them where they work. Looking at a few of these comments that is what I am gathering. I think the question though is if you SHOULD wear a hard hard.... do you? :jawdrop Konecranes an Overhead Crane Manufacturer
Thumbs up, thumbs down. Not to take a "way out of line" tack to the subject, I wonder how many accidents hard hats have caused due to limited vision or trying to grab it as it falls off your head? I knew one guy that got hit by it inside a scraper cab that split his skin and he needed stitches. One that rolled his scraper off a slope as he was trying to grab the hard hat when it came off his head. I am definitely a "safety first" guy and anyone who works in a situation where you have overhead items, i.e. bolts, hand tools, materials or anything that can possibly cause a head injury, works with a crane...I am in favor of the prevention of head injuries. But I think there have been just as many accidents caused by limited vision, limited room, attempting a "save the hard hat" move as has been prevented by the great plastic condom that you have to wear by generalized policy decisions usually made by people who don't have to wear them to keep their insurance rates from going up. The first time I was made to wear one, I ran into more stuff because I wasn't used to the limited vision. The second time, I was almost fired because I was in a situation where I was bumped enough that I lost three in three weeks. I was told if I lost one more, I would be fired. A fellow worker gave me a set of "Bullwinkle" ear protectors that I actually started liking. Moral of the story, generalized decisions can cost you as much as they can save you. Most bean counters suck....on an individual basis.
Hard hat, steel toes, safety glasses with side shields and that's the minimum! Do work at times without the hard hat on but only when climbing around inside the workings of a machine where there just isn't room, it goes right back on when head comes out of the tight spot. If I'm going to be working for any time in those tight places I usually were a winter hard hat liner for some bump protection and keeps some of the grease out of the hair.
If your hard hat is falling off your head, then you need to get another hard hat with better suspension. The MSA ratchet strap suspension will stay on your head and is comfortable, to me anyway. I haven't experience the lack of vision due to wearing a hard hat, although I always wear a ball cap, so I am used to having a bill over my eyes. As far as hard hats go, I prefer the fiberglass full brimmed style, painted white to keep the heat down with ratchet strap suspension. This is the one I wear when I need one - http://www.amazon.com/Skullgard-Full-Ratchet-Suspension-White/dp/B000H861A8 It's an expensive one but you can get replacement suspension for $14.
If you want to cherry pick quotes, No I don't need a better hard hat to protect my head from whatever can get through my Roll Over Protection System. That would have to be some hard hat. And I guess some people aren't inquisitive enough to want to know if hard hats "cause" accidents. That was the point I was making. For that matter, I wonder how many people are unnecessarily hurt due to air bags going off in accidents where the air bag did no good? I know, it's a lot to take in.
I'm not a fan of them in general, but I do accept they have their place. In controlled work environments where risks can be assessed and acted upon then they are an unnecessary. However I do have new found respect after one particular concrete panel installation job. From memory the panels were approx 9meters tall, and while placing one panel in position the top of the panel clashed with another one and broke off a chunk of concrete the size of my fist (I have big hands). As I had my shoulder in the panel trying to muscle it into position I only knew about it when I hear this really loud noise. I looked around at my other workers and asked what the f@ck just happened. They pointed to the chunk of concrete on the ground. The chunk had made a nice gouge in the shell of my lid. In hindsight, if it had not hit me directly on the head than it would have caused a lot more damage as it landed on my shoulder. Perhaps we sold all wear that girly grid iron protective crap that you yanks like to wear I'll have to have a good hunt around for it one day, but I have a photo of myself working 2feet off the ground in a full harness, with lid in a boom lift, because they had a no ladder policy.
First of all you were not clear nor concise that you meant wearing a hard had specifically in a ROPS/FOPS cab. If you were inquisitive enough to read the other posts in this thread then you would have seen this: Post 31 of this thread.:cool2
Company reg's call for a hard hat at all times . They have relaxed and let the guys with a cab around them take them off . If you stick your head out of the door to talk to someone it better be covered . Shop mechanic's have to wear them full time now but they shot themselves in the foot . Rule was inside the shop you didn't need one but they would walk out in the yard around cranes and claim they forgot . Boss fixed that I guess .
Exactly!
I'm just curious, what exactly are you referring to here? I really have no idea.....
i'm a field service mechanic, it all depends on the jobsite i'm at, for the most part any const/demo job requires hat, glasses, and vest. customers shops/repair yards, glasses only, unless otherwise required, i also wear a vest, just for my own personal peace of mind. any roadside jobs, i always wear a vest for visibility, especially in bad weather. i use my service truck as a "blocker" to keep other equipment and vehicles away from where i'm working. :drinkup