Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

hard line/block feeding cylinder is leaking. How is it built?

fastline ยท 2011-09-20 10:58

I thought my bucket cylinder was constantly dripping but it turns out the hard line and block going into the cylinder is leaking. Not the seal surface between the cylinder and block, but the union between the hard line and block. Is there a seal inside the block that can be replaced? I am not sure how the line is secured inside the block and how it seals.

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2011-09-20 13:01

    The line should be welded into the block, or maybe it is installed into the block as a slip fit and later expanded with an expanding tool. Either way, if it's leaking where the steel tube enters the block there is no seal in there. It's a replacement tube unfortunately, I would not personally recommend welding as an acceptable type of repair on a hydraulic tube such as this although many folks will say they have done it successfully.

  2. #2Per Eriksson2011-09-20 15:25

    Or it might be joined by brazing, you could try to redo it.

  3. #3John C.2011-09-20 22:30

    They are usually silver brazed. The price of a new tube usually makes the welding option a viable risk to take. Good Luck!

  4. #4fastline2011-09-20 22:40

    I would say especially since this is the bucket line and losing one does not mean the buck will coming crashing down. Being an all steel line, I feel a little better about it. I will get it off and see if I can find a brazing guy. I would think tigging this would be an easier solution but not a good reach or a production part. However, already being brazed my be a problem for welding. I guess we will just have to look at it.

  5. #5steve loving2011-09-20 23:39

    Tig works just use a mild steel filler for vibrations.