Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Harley Rake leaking chain oil

f311fr1 ยท 2016-09-14 21:15

Last winter I replaced the bearings and seals on my Harley rake. After about 40 hours of use this season it is pouring gear oil out of the bottom of of the chain box between the roller and chain box. Is there a secret to keeping the chain box sealed up other that the stock parts (o ring)? Other than this issue it works as it should. To my way of thinking it would be a great place for an HTD belt drive. View attachment Harley Rake.pdf

Replies4
  1. #1Steve Frazier2016-09-14 21:42

    I didn't have any trouble with my Harley Rake until I bent the cover on a job, I rubbed it against a tree stump. I had to order a new seal and cover plate, hasn't leaked since. Check to see if you have damage to the plate, the slightest tweak will cause it to leak.

  2. #2dirt4fun2016-10-05 08:47

    I run "00" combine grease in my chain box on the Harley rake , had leakage also this stopped it and was recommended by the manufacture

  3. #3f311fr12016-10-05 19:25

    Thanks, I will try it.

  4. #4kshansen2016-10-06 09:06

    Sorry for taking this way off topic but when I saw the words "Harley" and "oil Leak" in the title I thought I was in one of my other forums!