Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hauling cat 320 on 25 ton tag

ChevyKenworth ยท 2014-12-16 13:42

Anybody hauling a cat 320 on a 25 ton tag trailer behind a dump truck? Biggest trackhoe I have seen behind a dump was a komatsu 200.

Replies14
  1. #1chevota842014-12-16 13:44

    Isn't a 320 pretty close to a 200 in size?

  2. #2ChevyKenworth2014-12-16 14:23

    I think they are, if I looked at the specs right I think the 320 is a lil heavier.

  3. #3nowing752015-01-01 21:30

    315 is ok but I'm thinking a 320 would be a bit heavy plus it would be extreamly long.

  4. #4tnc1102015-12-17 00:14

    2 axle or 3 axle... Ive seen some 25 ton 2 axle trailers, but no way would I put a 320 on a 2 axle. I pulled a 963 cat loader on a 25 ton with a tandem dump through the mountains. Trailer was borrowed. Service brakes were not working. All I had was emergency brakes. I didnt have any issues

  5. #5ben46a2015-12-18 17:49

    We hauled out 320B on a 25 to triaxle, had to have it right up front to scale, but It made it light on the steers. The tag itself handled it just fine if it was back a bit though.

  6. #6DoyleX2015-12-19 08:01

    The weight is one issue, what about the height?

  7. #7gwhammy2015-12-27 20:23

    I pull a 963 on a triple axle tag all the time. Pulls really good. I have to put around 11,000 lbs. tongue weight to make it legal. I have the spread on the axle where I can gross 42,000 on the trailer and I'm weighing around 73,500 lbs total. The loader is around 41,000 or there abouts.

  8. #8Oxbow2015-12-27 20:57

    Our 320DL with hydraulic thumb is a touch over 50k. We haul on an Aspen 50 ton lowboy with a 2' deck height. With the bucket curled all the way under/stick all the way in we are well short of legal height.

  9. #9tnc1102015-12-28 08:20

    Wow, I had no idea a 320 weigh that much I thought they were more like 42k

  10. #10Truck Shop2015-12-28 18:18

    Some years back, well the early 90's. The construction outfit I worked for moved 215's on a three axle Trail King every day. And if I remember right those 215's were 42 to 43,000. The three axle handled it real well. I hauled 215's on it several times with no issues. Counter weight was to the front. And it was a ramped beaver tail

  11. #11jamesvorsicht2015-12-28 18:28

    In mexico we see anything sometimes its not a weigth problem mano times its the driving conditions of mexicos road

  12. #12Deliacorpny2016-01-01 12:46

    Move my 963 and my 977 when I had it all the time on my 25t eager beaver along with plenty of 320s 225,321,and 200s! Just have to be carefull and take easy! Never had an issue . Track loaders sometimes a bit high! But I make it work .

  13. #13DGODGR2016-01-01 18:25

    This thread got revived from the dead! I'll pay along anyway.....My Towmaster T50 is rated for 50K payload and I pull it with a tandem axle dump truck. I have moved a Volvo 210 on it (21 metric tons plus a thumb) and that's a bit over 50k. The trailer had no problem but the weight and friction (tri-axle=12 tires on the ground) are tough on the tow vehicle. I usually haul a 315CL w/thumb on it (+/- 40k#) and I will also add a 3,000# compactor, and/or an additional bucket and compaction wheel. The trailer tows like a dream. I chose a 50tn, as opposed to a 40 tn, in the event that I would have the ability to haul a 320 size machine if I needed to.

  14. #14RonG2016-01-02 04:15

    The last company I worked for with a 320 had a 25 ton tag but we also had a 35 ton Rogers detachable and our Mack tractor which we used for the dump trailer had a wet line so it was a no brainer but it looked like the tagalong would do the job but I too would be worried about the overhead clearance.I realize I did not tell anyone very much but it is early.....coffee,had to say something.Ron G