i have a sand and gravel business and im looking for a program that when a customer calls and asked to get gravel delivered i can type there address in and it can tell me how much a haul charge should be we had been charging $80/hr but it would be nice to have a program that would know if you should charge a little more because of a farther distance or a little less for a closer distance to the business
I don't know of a specific program, but what I do for bidding jobs is to simply type in the address in Google Maps and it gives you a distance from your location. By regularly tracking our trucking time by the miles traveled and the time required, I have a very good historic value (estimate) of how long it takes to move a load of material over x amount of distance. You can always adjust the time for traffic, hills, etc. etc. Your record keeping is your best estimate of hauling miles per hour multiplied by your rate per hour.
That's the way I do it as well, I don't know of a program that would spit out truck time travel rates just by an address. Helped a friend of mine develop a spreadsheet for his dump truck business. We set columns for city/vicinity, time it takes to get there and an hourly rate. The magic/voodoo is figuring out the time it takes to get there with all the obstacles along the way. As Bliz said your record keeping is your best estimate and the spreadsheet helps you keep track of it.