Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hauling concrete

Classicfld120 · 2020-03-01 22:14

Sorry if this has been answered but new to the group. I run tri axle dump trucks with Rhodes aluminum beds. I was getting ready to start hauling concrete on short hauls. I was wondering if anyone has done this and whats the best way to protect the truck and bed from splashes that happen. Ive heard spray the truck with armour all, coat the truck in grease. I really dont want to do the grease lol. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Replies13
  1. #1petepilot2020-03-01 22:25

    l liquid soap with a sprayer. won`t hurt the concrete or the truck bed

  2. #2Classicfld1202020-03-01 23:03

    I know the company is supposed to spray the bed out for us after each run which shouldnt be no more than an hour round trip. I was just worried about the cab and hood and the outside of the bed cause I'm sure they wont touch that.

  3. #3Labparamour2020-03-02 09:41

    Watched some dumps load at a batch plant recently- some would raise the box a bit and even run up their tarps a bit to protect cab. I was about 30’ away and spatter was still hitting me.

  4. #4NepeanGC2020-03-02 10:03

    wait, what? You guys load wet concrete in to dump trucks?? Never seen that done here...very curious. We use a product called 'Blast-off' to clean off our power buggy from time to time. Was recommended to us by our concrete supplier, they use it on their trucks once every couple of months to dissolve and splatter and cement dust.

  5. #5localmack992020-03-02 11:41

    I have used generic types of pledge furniture polish (cheaper than armor all) on the cab. It smears if you get it on the windows/mirrors and dust will stick to it but the splatter will come off. As said already tipping box up is a good idea if the plant will let you raise it . We would rinse off the trucks and reapply the polish if time allowed every few rounds depending on how much splatter built up. Just be aware that splatter gets everywhere and needs to be sprayed off every day , not wiped as it will scratch .

  6. #6Classicfld1202020-03-02 12:35

    Yeah its definetly going to be new for me. The express way is going to be concrete so I guess its faster to haul in the dump truck. The my cab is covered good on the top and my hood sucks. I was more concerned of the aluminum tanks and bed. Armor all is real expensive especially if it needs sprayed every few rounds. This haul is 15 minutes from home so I'll spray it off daily.

  7. #7mowingman2020-03-02 13:06

    They do that type of haul a lot around here. They erect a batch plant near the job and mix it at the plant. Then the mixer dumps into the trucks. The dump trucks haul it to the paver. The trucks are always a heck of a mess, but they do wash them down after every load. All of the companies doing that type of haul have older trucks that stay pretty rough looking. If you are going to do this for several months, I would be looking at an older dump you do not need to worry about. Your nice truck needs to stay parked for this type of operation. Jeff

  8. #8Classicfld1202020-03-02 17:25

    At the moment this is just gonna be a feel in for hopefully no more than a month till everything else picks up and maybe a day every couple weeks if I'm not working. But in this buisness nothing goes as planned lol

  9. #9workshoprat922020-03-14 22:11

    Basically just be aware your truck is gona gahve that crap on it no matter what you try to do. 20 years from now its still gona have it. In the box on the box on the body and everything under the truck! I have come to where i refuse to haul it unless its in a truck i just dont give a rats ass about when im done! If your gona be upset about the damage to your truck its probably not the job for you and just be aware your trucks never going to be the same as it was before!

  10. #10hosspuller2020-03-15 00:49

    Hauling wet concrete in a dump truck sounds like using a bucket brigade to douse a forest fire. Lose a good amount of liquid before the destination site.

  11. #11miller1252020-03-19 00:03

    Around here they would spray concrete form oil on them and thrown dry dirt at them or whatever. To get them dirty as possible.Then don’t wash them till job is done.

  12. #12Bls repair2020-03-19 08:44

    Do you have tail gate lock bolts on truck ? Wet concrete puts a lot of pressure on tailgates

  13. #13DMiller2020-03-19 08:52

    They have been doing that around here for close to(Maybe Over) twenty years, faster than a mixer unloading and can get batch in front of a slipform spreader fast. Fred Weber Construction was one of the first to do it here. Trucks become disposable due to this, they would bring on all the runouts of their fleet to do this and scrap them after a season or two at it then run in the next batch. Contractors would buy up all the junk gas antique diesel or just refugee from scrap yards, tighten up the end gates weld the cracks and use them until used up. Was not much left after two seasons of doing this as concrete, cement dust, anything imaginable corrosive absolutely destroyed frames, cross members, cabs and aluminum would dust out in a single season. Worse than farm grain and fertilizer hauling.