Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hauling Demolition Debris to Landfill

TD-20G ยท 2010-09-23 23:15

I was wondering what demolition contractors use to haul debris to landfills from demolition projects. Most of our projects are 40-50 miles from the neariest landfill. The cost of dumpster is too high and its slows the project down when we are waiting on dumpsters. I don't like the ideal of frameless dump trailers dumping in a landfill. An all steel full framed trailer works well if there is a good, level place to dump. Has anyone tried an all steel push out trailer? Will they push out demolition debris with lumber and heavy debris? I don't like the idea of an aluminum walking floor because of the cost of a new trailer and I don't think the aluminum would hold up with large amounts of heavy debris. Plus, I think it would be easy for some of the debris to get stuck in the trailer. Just my thoughts. Thanks in advance for any opinions on the matter.

Replies29
  1. #1tonka2010-09-23 23:25

    Most guys around here used aluminum walking floors, with the C&D broken up into smaller pieces.

  2. #2adam215842010-09-24 06:07

    I have seen push out trailers they seem to work well but almost all I see are live floors. I think push out trailer are heavier.

  3. #3thodob2010-09-24 13:33

    we use containers (25-40m3), also using a trailer if enough space on the site or long transport.

  4. #4Dozerboy2010-09-24 20:15

    We use all kinds of dump trailers. We try all keep the frameless for concrete and full framed for trash, but they get used for whatever is needed. We have a fleet of rolloffs too, but there basically used as dump trucks. In CA we used a lot of high side frameless trailer for trash never had an issue.

  5. #5TD-20G2010-09-25 14:39

    Dumping at landfills Thanks for you replys. The problem we ran into is unloading the end dumps at the landfill. If the load doesn't slide out or gets stuck in the box, the drivers move forward and backwards trying to unload the box. If there is an uneven spot in the ground, or the load is heavier to one side than the other, box starts to move around and you end up with a side dump and not an end dump. The spring axles can also give the box some play from one side to the other when moving forward. The end dumps we have are both 35', full framed, all steel.

  6. #6Hendrik2010-09-25 22:36

    To a certain extend it depends on the drivers, a good driver can unload in difficult conditions but a average driver will have the tipper on it's side by morning smoko. Semi tippers do require experienced operators, whereas tip trucks or tip trucks pulling a dog/pig are better for the wannabe truck drivers. Tip over axle semi tippers should only be used on very hard and level ground, chassis tippers are better for rougher conditions but......... Also depends on the dump, if they can't maintain a level dumping area then they shouldn't be in the dump business. Surely the have big dozers or loaders to push and compact the material away from the tip site. With all the safety regulations in place they must provide a safe tip area, however in the real world in which we work...............

  7. #7ddigger2010-09-26 13:32

    We always use highside enddumps.

  8. #8bill53622010-09-26 21:03

    We use our own roll off boxes, 40 CY. Forty to Fifty miles one way is a long haul, most times we are only 30 miles away, makes me feel like we are lucky in that respect. Our dump fees are $47.00 per ton.

  9. #9ddigger2010-09-27 11:27

    Wow I thought or dump fees were steep, we are paying right around 20 bucks a ton, depending on the county were working in.

  10. #10CM19952010-09-27 12:58

    Our dump fees range from $18-29 per ton, depending on your volume and what you can negotiate at the private pits. I haven't done a demo in a while but I always used 30 yard cans, although I did get a 100 yard push out once. I't was very efficient.

  11. #11Excavator7592010-09-29 00:05

    we are lucky here in ohio right now, my dumping fees on 50 yd boxes are $11.00 a ton plus 150 trucking, sometimes 200 depending on the distance. we also have it set up that if i feel the box is heavy we can just dump for a flat $130.00 fee. the roll off company is treating me good, but i have demoed 1or 2 houses a day pretty much all year.

  12. #12tootalltimmy2010-09-29 02:21

    In the south Okanagan where I am they have one landfill site for unsorted demo material - $125 a metric tonne. (2200lbs) If it goes to another landfill, the fees for unsorted demo are double.

  13. #13buckfever2010-10-01 20:39

    $125 a ton . around here you can drop off concreat, asphalt, brick, and block for $30 a semi load. a processor will take all wood and drywall for 11.00 a ton. shingels and asbestose will have to go to the dump. 50 a ton

  14. #14YELLOMTLMILITIA2010-10-01 23:17

    My buddy owns a couple of Stecco ejection trailers and I have used them quite a bit. I believe they build them in Enid, Ok. We could take an FIAT FL20 and crush two 1500 sq' homes into toothpicks while leaving the slab intact which is a chore with a 60k lb trackloader and then load out both houses in one ejection trailer. one load!! I would go dump and he would already be hooked up to a half round and loading slab and footings I would go get another half round and drop off the ejector and we would be done for the day. At the dump people would get real nervous when i pulled up beside them since the trailer was so long and massive they thought it was a dump and all the guys hand unloading trucks would be hauling ass to get away from me incase I went over. When they saw me start pushing it out the back they were like ***??? We packed that stuff in thier so tight it came out like a loaf of bread. I recommend not putting any dirt or concrete in them since the side walls will start to bow out under load and make the push block jump off track. he did that to his first trailer being to lazy to run back for an end dump and it made it to whee you had to be real carefull of how much you loaded it and so the new trailer he took real good care of it until he did a water tower demo and stacked to much sheet metal in there and when he was dumping it caved a section of the sidewall. He took it back to stecco and they rewelded a new section in the sidewall. great trailers as long as you dont abuse them.

  15. #15ddigger2010-10-01 23:56

    If you have some share some pictures, would love to see em.

  16. #16crazycajun2010-10-02 00:45

    Funny how prices are so different around the country... In Louisiana, it's about $3.50-$5.00 per yard. Concrete they come pickup for free!

  17. #17Nac2010-10-02 11:37

    Well if it is for my own demo I haul in 40 Cy roll off box's. Here in NJ C&D is from mid 50-90/ ton to dump depends where it came from. An of course you have to be lisenced with the DEP. Concrete is getting out of hand nobody wants it any more because there stock piles are getting huge and the rca piles are over flowing. It cost from 175=340 to dump a 20 cy box some guys want to charge 15/ ton

  18. #18YELLOMTLMILITIA2010-10-02 17:24

    My budy made a deal to except trees at his concrete and asphault dump for cheap if the landfill would take his ejection trailer loads for cheap. He also owns a roll off company so we built an exchange pit and would dump all the roll offs and then we would load the debris in ejection trailors. We ended up being able to put two 40 yards and 1 20 yard dumpster in one ejection trailer. He made a killing doing that.

  19. #19buckfever2010-10-02 18:47

    why don't they crush the concrete and sell the gravel:beatsme thats what they do here.

  20. #20Nac2010-10-02 19:44

    They do crush and sell Just that have huge stockpiles of RCA. I can get RCA at 10 diffrent places within 10 mins. of me Some guys cant even give it away how much they have.

  21. #21shooterm2010-10-04 06:55

    We got a few demo clean up jobs that the contractors in 70's just buried. It was something awful at like $85 a ton. Only hauling 16 miles. It was cheaper to dump at another site sort with a skiddy clam bucket and run some material through the screener. I was in a hurry but we could of salvaged alot of hundred year old brick that someone would of wanted. Really the only contaminated material was the fines, old appliances, and tar basement sealer stuff.

  22. #22Wolf2010-10-13 14:29

    Nice pictures. What kind of building did you knock down? Where was the debris sent? Was any of it recycled, or no time, all goes to the landfill?

  23. #23Wolf2010-10-13 14:31

    100 year old brick I know a crew that could come in and salvage the 100 year old brick if it's not too busted up. Is it still around, or all got trashed already? PM me if you want to talk about it.

  24. #24cheshirecat2012-07-19 21:18

    I hate to hijack a thread but for some reason I can't create a new one. Is Washington State the highest dump fees in the country? I keep reading everyone talking about $20 a ton or $40 a ton. Here in Washington State just about ever land fill is about $100 a ton or more.

  25. #25DirtHauler2012-07-19 21:58

    It is very high here in Western Washington. I think Eastern Wa and Northern Oregon is cheaper.

  26. #26The Peej2012-07-20 06:50

    Here in CT the tipping fee at the transfer station is $125 for bulky waste

  27. #27CM19952012-07-20 06:50

    You need 3 posts under your belt before you can post your own thread, it's in order to keep the spammers out. Right now you have two, so make another post in another thread and you will be good to go. If you have any problems check out the link in my signature line.

  28. #28cheshirecat2012-07-21 01:37

    I'm wondering what kind of factors weigh into the reasoning why some areas the fees are so low and some are so high? Thanks for the info CM1995 makes sense now.

  29. #29CM19952012-07-21 09:38

    No problem, you should be good to go now. I guess the difference in gate/tonnage rates depends on several factors: land values, local/state rules and regulations, other landfills that offer competition, etc. For instance our State DEP doesn't require a liner for C&D pits at this time. MSW is a totally different ball game. There are several C&D only pits and just about every MSW landfill has a C&D pit. This includes private and muni owned landfills in my area. This coupled with rather lax regulations for C&D is why we have low rates. You can negotiate a gate rate down to $16-18 per ton or lower for C&D if you have the volume/tonnage. I don't handle any MSW but the gate rates are $26-35 a ton. WM has a transfer station and I think they charge in the $40's per ton. Just the night routes use it because the landfills are closed.