http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh7eirfFIqg
An excavator that digs earth, piles it or loads it in a truck? Just about everyday...
Just another day of proselytizing the proletariat.
Wow! It's dark out, and as soon as he starts the hoe it gets light out! And what kind of boots is he wearing?
So uhh....how is this a hybrid?
Komatsu has had hybrids since '08
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums, CatExcavatior#1. I think what the guys are saying here, collectively, is that while that's a nice enough video, it really doesn't tell us anything that a professional needs to know. I'm sure you'd have an attentive audience if you'd like to share some more detailed information about what makes it tick. To be fair, I'll point one of your other posts out to everybody, in which you've asked for feedback on the machine: We do pride ourselves on the give and take of information that goes on here at HEF. Obviously that machine is a relatively new development. How many have made it into the field thus far?
So I read up on this machine last night, and in a nutshell,it aint a hybrid by the accepted meaning of the term. It is not diesel electric,nor does it run on batteries. They added an accumulator to the hydraulic system and use it to assist the swing motor. Thats all. And they call it a hybrid. Nice try, CAT. its just another overpriced hoe. I'm pretty skeptical over their claims of fuel savings as well....
336E H Hybrid Technical Video / Machine Walkaround FYI- thanks for the feedback. Attached is a 336E H Hybrid Walkaround Video for your disposal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPmUvKC9VHE . Interested in your thoughts?
basically it has 2 large accumulators running length wise behind the engine if I remember correctly. while they do still have a swing brake, the accumulators are used to stop the swing and capture the energy in these accumulators. The accumulator pressure is then used to supplement machine function.
Multiple units are working in the field as we speak with many more on the way. Contractors are sending us their fuel savings results in their diverse applications by the hour. Caterpillar is excited about the introduction of its first 336E Hydraulic Hybrid! State of the Art Technology has been incorporated into this machine to provide customers with up to 25% less fuel consumption than the standard 336E (a fuel economy and performance leader in its class) and up to 33% less fuel consumption than the 336D. Key system technology advancements are included in the machine with the introduction of: the Adaptive Control System Valve, Electronic Standardized Programmable Pump, and larger displacement accumulators....pumps, valves, and accumulators are components that customers are already familiar with and can easily service & maintain today. It's the system technology working together that allows the machine's ability to conserve (fuel), optimize (performance), and then reuse (energy). The hybrid machine runs at a lower engine RPM (1,500 rpm) vs. the standard 336E (1,800 rpm), so it may not 'sound' as loud as what they are typically accustomed to. We encourage our customers to track & validate their own fuel savings (i.e. Fuel Consumption) and report back their legitamate findings. If possible, we also encourage tracking (if possible in your application), the amount of work completed per gallon of fuel burned (i.e. Fuel Efficiency) as that is this machine's overall intent. Lower operating cost with uncompromised productivity. Note: fuel savings may vary depending on application, operator / skill level, machine configuration (boom/stick/bucket/etc.), material density, bucket fill factor, preventative maintenance practices, etc. Hope this helps clarify the technology platform a bit more to better understand the energy and $ savings opportunities? Enough of this guy talking and referencing some of the testing, development, production results, etc.....interested in your Cat Hydraulic Hybrid Excavator experiences, feedback, and measured results? Have an enjoyable/safe weekend!
Wonder how long it takes for the fuel savings to cover the price difference?
Yes, I did see it and its 2 min 27 secs that I'll never get back... Next time show us what makes it a hybrid, as most all of us have spent hours filling and dumping a bucket.
@blitz138 Good question: depending on the application (i.e. high, med, low), price/trends of bulk diesel fuel, work time vs. idle, etc., one might find the price difference payback in as little as one year.
Is it almost as good on fuel as the Volvo?
We encourage our customers to try the machine and validate the machine's performance & fuel savings in their specific application. Thank you for partnering with Caterpillar, Inc.! We included our customers in the upfront design to better understand your needs in your diverse set of applications, we listened to your feedback, and now we are pleased to have the opportunity to manufacture it for you. We understand you have a choice when it comes to operating, renting, purchasing equipment & we sincerely appreciate you making Cat Excavators one of your considerations! We will continue to solicit, document, and utilize your experience/feedback to ensure we have the equipment you expect working on your jobsites. Hope this forum is an avenue that we may better connect with you? Thanks again, Cheers
The marketing is strong with this one..... This is not a hybrid, plain and simple. Although it is a neat idea,it is a blatant attempt to mislead joe public into thinking this machine is "greener" than others. Post up some verifiable fuel number vs. like sized competitors machines for us to see. While your at it, put up cycle time and breakout numbers too.
Hey Mods, Are you cool with having some marketing shill spew this all over your forum?
One of the penalties of being a Mod is that you have to sometimes stay out of the debate, and try to enforce the rules as they're written. Well, this is the advertising rule: So, at this time, I think we're working within the boundaries of that "one introductory thread explaining their product or service and may answer questions about such within that thread." There's also this one: Now, certainly it's subjective, but some might see the characterizations "marketing shill" and "spew" as being outside the boundaries of that one. We're all here to have exactly these kinds of discussions, and everybody remains free to make their points and counterpoints, within the framework of the rules.
Caterpillar's definition of a Hybrid = A machine equipped with a device to collect, store, and release energy during machine operation.
I'm going to side with catEx on this one, yes its a hybrid. Does it matter if a motor turns a generator, that charges a battery, that turns a pump, its fundamentally the same as a motor that turns a pump, that compresses the accumulator ( stored energy ), that does the work. Certain machines benefit more from different styles of hybridization. Haul trucks utilize regenerative braking a lot better than a stationary machine like an excavator, etc. But I'm not completely letting catEx off the hook, cutting edge has a point with wanting to see some real numbers.
I have had a chance to spend a little time on several different 336`s lately, as a straight digger I`m sure they will be fine machines. As for my applications mostly demo and land clearing the new massive size of the house has ruled Cat out as my next excavator purchase. Currently I own a 1995 330L that I bought in 96, it now has just under 23.000hrs on it, I will be replacing it in the very near future and am disappointed that I have to look elsewhere.
I agree with the above. I would like to see a an honest independent cost/benefit calculation comparing this unit with a standard 336e, not just a marketing dept. claim full of dodgy weasel words that the pay back maybe is as little as one year. And yes this machine qualifies as a hybrid, and for me if it works would be better system than a pallet full of batteries that need mtce, periodic replacement and lose their effectiveness in a cold Canadian winter.
I have one being delivered the 1st week of September. Our current 336E's are averaging 26Lts per Hr in fairly heavy going equipped with 2.3M3 buckets, this is in full power mode. if they are using tools, Breaker, Selector Grab or Crusher Bucket this goes down to 18Lts per Hr in economy mode I will report back on the Hybrid when it is delivered.
Good video. I've seen that kind of machine on web and I think they're good in job.
G'Day Roger First one is turning up in West Aus shortly I'm told, have you taken delivery yet & how is it going if you have. cheers