Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Having white oak milled for 16ft equipment trailer that is 70 inches wide. What board width is recommended?

clydesdale6 · 2026-08-05 11:04

Hi. I finally found a mill that can make this decking for me. At first I was going to get seven 10 inch wide boards. But, I was wondering about cupping and they can make the boards narrower. Is there a width that would be better? I was thinking of going down to 8.75 and get eight boards instead. Any advice?

Replies7
  1. #1HarleyHappy2026-08-05 12:36

    Shouldn’t matter but you probably have a better chance of having better quality boards if they are a little narrower. Then of course, that requires more fasteners.

  2. #2clydesdale62026-08-09 17:53

    OK. Do you recommend putting them right up against each other, leaving no gap? This way, when the green boards dry out, they will create gap. Thoughts on that? Thanks.

  3. #3DDoug2026-08-09 19:57

    I have seen sawmill wood coming as "Random width" within a tolerance of say 4"-7". You'll need to custom rip the last board yourself anyways.

  4. #4clydesdale62026-08-09 22:01

    The mill claims they can make the boards exactly 7.75 inches wide. Are they often not accurate? I have never had wood milled before. Either way, would you recommend attaching them without gap and as they dry they will create gap? Thanks.

  5. #5shopguy2026-08-10 02:28

    last one I did pushed them tight still had big gap when they dried

  6. #6AllDodge2026-08-10 07:53

    Wood shrinks put them next to each other tight. I would get them a bit wider and rip the last to fit, but that's just me

  7. #7HarleyHappy2026-08-11 12:25

    Depending on how wet, try and put some used motor oil or Linseed oil on the bottom and sides of the boards. Then when mostly dry do the top. Yes get as tight as you can, wedges used when needed.