Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hay squared

Hedge ยท 2009-09-23 01:41

Darn Kids always seem to make work for ya.... He may be young but he is always wanting to help... Checking things over... Here we go... Coming back... Ready to pick up the hay.. I don't have any of the hay being loaded that got to be a late night for me.. I did get it all in the shed before the big rain came...:drinkup

Replies9
  1. #1Bumpsteer2009-09-23 10:02

    Cool pics, good to see a young'un helping out! Could you please give more info on you method of picking up the hay? I've never seen anything like that before. Ed

  2. #2dirt digger2009-09-23 10:42

    Bumpsteer that thing is called an Accumulater...the bales go into it then when it gets full (all are different with how many they consider "full") it drops all the bales in one area, so you have a bunch of bales in one spot rather then single bales all over your field...then the loader comes around with a big clamp and picks them all up and stacks them on a trailer i have never seen a drag behind unit though...is that a custom made thing?... i have only ever seen these... http://www.hoelscherinc.com/prod_acc.htm

  3. #3Bumpsteer2009-09-23 11:46

    Pretty cool! Never seen here. One will occosionally see an old NH self propelled bale wagon, but thats about it other than a kick baler. Very few farms here still use the small bales. The round bales are for horses and beef cattle, dairy farms are going to the big square ones. Ed

  4. #4Hedge2009-09-23 19:19

    Well it is really kind of a simple deal it takes 8 bales and puts them into the bunches like dirt digger said. It trips with a simple rope and then the loader comes along and puts them on a trailer. I can put 200 on the trailer and off and never touch any of them. It was made by Dual back in the early 70's. The baler is a 1970 and the accumulator is 1971 oh and the tractor is a 1968. I have some more pictures around here maybe I can get them to post right so they show up right...

  5. #5Hedge2009-09-23 22:21

    Here are some shots of some loads of hay I have hauled over the last few yrs.... I am sure glad I built the trailer and found that F-600 and buiilt a bed for it. It has a wounded powerplant now and I need to get the fresh one stuffed in soon so I can use it for fall harvest...:drinkup

  6. #6Digger Dan2009-09-24 02:31

    Great pics , I spent allot of my early years baling with a NH 376, I drove it from aged 8 onwards by myself.... We used to do all out neibhours hay back in the day...

  7. #7Bumpsteer2009-09-24 07:32

    Nice pics Hedge! Thanks Ed

  8. #8MJB12009-11-05 07:32

    nice pics chap not seen a bale accumulator like that before or a grab like that either , the UK farms are mostly geared up for big hesstons or claas quadrants, or round bales very rare we see small bales in any great volume any more they seen to be baled for the equestrian market or bigger bales broken down for a small baler to rebale them , we have flat 8 sleges behind the balers , which are normally towing bales string down, then picked up using a flat 8 grab for loading. nice deere

  9. #9Old Junk Man2015-09-07 04:24

    neat system We still bale the small square bales old equiptment M farmall and 273 New Holland bailer. Wish we could use equiptment to handle the work. Our fields are small and irregular. We bailed a 5 acre field made 266 bales and then 4 acres on the creek that made 340 bales. hauled then by hand. Hard work for two 60 + year old men! We have about 20 more acres to bale.