Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Health

Williams Marine · 2017-07-18 00:51

I did not see a section on health, thought this would be something for shop (shed, down under, lingo I think, Ray F. please correct me if I'm wrong) discussion. Arthritis! Right now thumbs for me, had my first shots of cortisone last week. Didn't seem to do much for the one. Would like to hear about what is working and what is not. Sucks, I don't need more of a handy cap then I already have. Be safe!!!

Replies49
  1. #1old-iron-habit2017-07-18 07:40

    Good luck my friend. I type this with stiff aching fingers. Might get them limbered up in another hour or so.

  2. #2Buddy2017-07-18 20:22

    I will be keeping a eye on this post. Been having issues myself , just wondering at what age , and health issues , does a mechanic say enough is enough.

  3. #3Junkyard2017-07-18 20:44

    Hopefully early enough he/she can enjoy a life after. I know the last couple years of aches and pains have changed the way I do things. Work smarter not harder! I was hell on my body as a young man and working in the heavy equipment field doesn't help any. I already have issues with my left hand, cut the fingers dang near off many years ago, and my right shoulder. Lord knows what 50 or 60 will feel like......

  4. #492U 34062017-07-18 21:30

    I'm doing ok so far. My knees are much better now since I've been trying to use a soft mat to kneel on as much as possible. I've found that working out regularly and shedding about 40lbs of excess weight has really helped me feel a lot better after a 12 hour day as well.

  5. #5Old Doug2017-07-18 21:44

    Im 51 and hope to do something diffrent to make a liveing next year. I could write a book on how to make a mechanics life easyer now that i have done every thing the hard way.I cant stay working were i am because of alot of walking i dont have a problem but its to much and no good way to handle heavy stuff.If i was training starting out mechanics i would take their rachets away when they were takeing stuff apart and make them us air tools every time it was possable.

  6. #6John C.2017-07-18 21:46

    Hearing has been gone for years, the wife is my interpreter. It was when the vision thing started at around 52 that I started noticing I had to stretch a bit when I woke up in the morning. The fingers on my left hand started to tingle at 56 and then got real painful at 59. A year of looking and found bad neck problems. On the way to that the left shoulder was found to have arthritis and now the right shoulder is just as bad. My right knee has been getting better of late, likely because the weather is warm now. I ask myself if there was anything I could have done different way back when. From this view of point I don't think so. We didn't have cranes on the trucks so much so lots of lifting, pulling, pushing and hammer work. This is a good topic. Prevention is the best medicine. I'll keep watch for the pointers.

  7. #792U 34062017-07-18 22:16

    One fellow in his 40's gave me some great advice. Gloves when using impact tools and don't smack wrenches and ratchets with your palm to bust bolts loose. He said he damaged the artery in his hand doing that.

  8. #8Onsiteworker2017-07-18 23:28

    For others, who would like to know. Corticosteroid or cortisone injections can improve pain in some people with Osteoarthritis. You can also take some foods that may help ease the symptoms of your arthritis like cherries, strawberries, soya beans, fish and others with a substantial dose of antioxidants, fiber, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients.

  9. #9ScottAR2017-07-19 00:00

    Use a brass hammer or dead blow to tap on wrenches. Doesn't hurt the tools and doesn't hurt you either. Nupla? used to make a deadblow knocker.... looked like just the head of a hammer. Hearing protection. These are telling. Language is not for snowflakes. And for the younger folks.

  10. #10Williams Marine2017-07-19 01:37

    Almost 40 years in the trades, and I can say I'm beat to hell, not as bad as some I've seen that are my age, but I'm thrashed for sure. For the most part I worked smart, I've never been a big fan of pain, so I liked safety, I also had the opportunity to work for some good employers most of my time. They seemed to put value on keeping you healthy as you are a asset to them. They knew they needed us to get the job done, mutual respect, something missing I think at times today. I was dumb in the earlier part of my career for sure, I thought I knew better than the old hands. Joke is in me now! Maybe should start a thread of all the advise one has been given over a career of wrenching professionally, but didn't follow and the out come. Health, safety or otherwise... I'm sure that thread would have some interesting advise. The bit of advise that I recall being given, and seem to recall the most especially in the morning, is being told "don't jump off the flat bed trailer after setting the choker", but I knew better. I can't wait to pay for the knee reconstruction some day. It is good to see that the trend today is more towards not to be a tough guy, but be the work smart guy, let the equipment do the job, take that extra moment to put your safety glasses on or do whatever to protect oneself and others around you. Boy sure seemed like the transition from, I know it all, to give me a dam moment, I got warm up, happened overnight...

  11. #11Bumpsteer2017-07-19 01:40

    At 53 hearing is excellent, my mom was adamant about wearing hearing protection when operating anything. Knees still still good, use a mat all the time, makes things easier. Chiro. keeps my back in tune, only go every 3-4 months. Double hernia surgery at 40 gives one a new outlook on lifting and doing stupid shrit. Ed

  12. #12StanRUS2017-07-19 04:25

    Williams Marine, HEALTH thread; complex topic! Hippocrates approx 2500yrs ago supposedly stated, (simplified) 'you are what you eat'...'use it or lose it'...modern civilization with manufactured foods full chemical residues, i.e farming with poisons! RayS, you drink beer? You're joints will ache! Consume sugars in any forum, you're joint will ache! Sugars are inflammatory! Also best 'fuel' for cancers! Hippocrates: http://www.greekmedicine.net/whos_who/Hippocrates.html Believe Allopathic doctors (conventional) referencing 'peer reviewed studies'? http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/evidence-based-medicine-coins-flip-worth-certainty Follow the URL links! Snake OIL Salesman's son, 1 responsible for our current societal and worlds' previous and continuing conflict. John D. Rockefeller Sr. DNA was named for Rockefeller; he wanted to find a way to control the masses! LOL

  13. #13old-iron-habit2017-07-19 14:13

    The worst is when the mind goes numb like mine.

  14. #14Williams Marine2017-07-19 14:48

    StanRUS, Wish I had the time right now to watch 1 hour 11 minute video. Will be sure and watch when time permits, thanks for forwarding. To busy with my York!

  15. #15mikebramel2017-07-19 14:53

    After two jars of this my knees and back are way better. Used to be I couldn't even more than one auto brake job continuously. https://www.amazon.com/BEYOND-Osteo-Fx-POWDER-Canister/dp/B00DVNLRSM

  16. #16StanRUS2017-07-19 23:33

    Addressing YOUR health issue, KNEES Before reconstructive KNEE surgery, I would exhaust all alternatives, i.e. exercise therapy, diet etc. $3billion annual scam? Latest from Kaiser Health News... Arthroscopic Surgery Doesn't Help With Arthritis Knee Pain May 11, 2017 http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-surgery-doesnt-help-with-arthritis-knee-pain ‘The surgery was questioned in 2002 after researchers reported in The New England Journal of Medicine that in a randomized trial of older veterans with osteoarthritis in their knees, arthroscopic surgery was no more effective in treating pain than a placebo surgery in which patients had incisions made but no instruments were inserted into the knee. At least three other studies in that journal since then have also found arthroscopy is not better than sham surgery or physical therapy in relieving arthritis pain in the knees of older adults. 1 ref http://www.bmj.com/content/357/bmj.j1982 Placebo effective; you believe XXXX, your mind will heal the body. ALL diseases start in your mind via 'how you handle stress', stress starts inflammation. Take care

  17. #17PJ The Kid2017-07-20 09:31

    The best advice I was ever given and actually listened to, was to spend the extra money on GOOD workboots. I have knee and back problems at my young age from some prior choices and if I wear junk shoes, my knees are done after a couple days.

  18. #18Volvomad2017-07-21 18:50

    I have heard of sports yoga but is there heavy mechanics yoga? At 40 even though I try to respect the skelliton ,the joints are not able for long days in succession any more . I wear safty shoes , boots 2heavy and god save my box of studs . They never ache holding heavy stuff all day .

  19. #19StanRUS2017-07-21 20:57

    Yoga is Yoga, great to start at any age. Pedram Shojai site https://well.org/category/fitness/page/2/ You're located at higher latitude have Vitamin D level checked; Vit D is required for bone health, our bodies have over 1,000 receptors for Vit D. KNEES https://well.org/fitness/how-to-keep-your-knees-healthy-when-running/

  20. #2092U 34062017-07-21 23:26

    What about hearing protection? I neglected that a lot early one.

  21. #21StanRUS2017-07-22 00:38

    Definitely use hearing protection. Article via Mercola http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...se-exposure-increases-heart-disease-risk.aspx Later article http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2017/01/13/can-exercise-prevent-hearing-loss.aspx

  22. #22Williams Marine2017-07-22 01:17

    Yoga, wife does it, which I, well, will not complain about, enough said about that!!! It had been suggested that I should attend the beginner morning class (5 am). Main concern is the amount of possible gas that could be expelled at that hour, with all that added activity, enough said about that!!! I personally like to walk out to the shop (shed), coffee in hand, click on the radio, stretch, moan, fart, lick yesterday's wounds and progress into the day. All kidding aside, I think stretching is one of the keys to a good healthy day. Look at videos of the shipyards overseas 30 years ago, every shift started with a stretching time. I didn't see that at least in my location (USA) till about 15 years ago, and then some of the crew, not all, rolled eyes in back of head. I stretch every day and all day, seems to not only help my physical part but also stimulates the brain too. One of the best hard hat stickers from Kiewit, "Never to tough for safety"

  23. #23Junkyard2017-07-22 08:23

    Huh? Can you speak up? Yeah I've neglected that too. Too many straight pipes, open windows and loud music

  24. #2492U 34062017-07-22 12:04

    I think the loud music is what's going to get me. Every time I hit the road in the work truck the hair metal gets cranked.

  25. #25Junkyard2017-07-22 14:00

    Metal Health in more ways than one

  26. #26Tones2017-07-22 17:12

    Having had a hip replaced 12 year's ago I understand a little bit more about how the body works. I was told by the orthopedic surgeon that your body weight magnified by 4 with impact in your legs just when you walk. So weight loss has many more benefits than the obvious

  27. #2792U 34062017-07-22 18:49

    Yeah but it'll drive you mad.

  28. #28Junkyard2017-07-22 18:57

    It's what we all need.... Insert riff here.....

  29. #29Junkyard2017-07-22 18:59

    Might as well clue everybody in, or at least the people who don't know Quiet Riot or the great Randy Rhodes!

  30. #30Williams Marine2017-07-22 20:17

    Mental Health The best Millwrights, Pile Drivers, Divers, Heavy equipment whispers, operators, labors, transport drivers, all have been called and labled as a wack job by the non tradesmen more then once. It's a great club to belong to, bat sh@t crazy and skilled...

  31. #3192U 34062017-07-22 21:15

    I believe it. I've dropped just over 45 lbs in the last year and my joints feel so much better at the end of the day now vs last year. I can actually run 2 miles now without any joint pain afterwards.

  32. #32Truck Shop2017-07-22 22:34

    I had this surgery done 3 years ago now, i'm still working the floor. I've been at it for 44 years. And will go till they find me dead on a creeper. Truck Shop

  33. #33Junkyard2017-07-22 22:37

    I bet TSA loves you!

  34. #34Truck Shop2017-07-22 22:41

    I don't fly-that crap falls out of the sky. Plus I don't have the want to go anywhere. Truck Shop

  35. #35JD955SC2017-07-23 00:17

    For me it's knees and feet. Feet hurt worst in the morning when I get up...knees if I kneel for any period of time. I injured my right knee jumping off a tractor back when I was a kid and that old injury likes to make it's presence known at times. Back is OK for the most part I take care of it pretty well

  36. #36StanRUS2017-07-25 06:27

    Small software app 'free' for Windows OS or Linux https://justgetflux.com/ Win10 Pro has night-light included, does the same thing as f-lux Research https://justgetflux.com/research.html Bone Broth is great as a joint lubricant

  37. #37ScottAR2017-07-26 01:19

    Something that helps me is rotating shoes daily. I keep two pair and alternate daily. Lets the shoes dry out and is healthy for your feet. I also put on different shoes after work. That's like having new feet for a couple hours.

  38. #38StanRUS2017-07-26 01:48

    Good advice, 1st issue in Army is 2 boots, rotate daily and learn to take care of feet! I drive with bare feet, put on boots and socks for the job, slip on Wellingtons for most work without heels...logger type heels pick your pelvis out of whack.

  39. #39StanRUS2017-08-08 15:08

    WB how is the yoga going? Are you learning 'breath' correctly?

  40. #40old-iron-habit2017-08-08 15:43

    Only proves that non trades are not near as smart as they think. Most would freeze if there was a broken window and a flat tire on there car and nobody was available to fix it for them.

  41. #41wornout wrench2017-08-08 16:43

    I'm on holidays so have a bit of time to actually post. For the guys out there with arthritis in the hands, on those cold wet pacific northwest days or nights when that wet cold just wants to seize up your knuckles, I have one of those hot wax machines. It is just a tub full on molten paraffin wax. You dip your hands in it a few times, put them in plastic bags and then there are these little mittens that you wear. Sit and watch 1/2 hour of TV and strip everything off. Feels so much better http://www.livestrong.com/article/256674-how-to-use-a-paraffin-wax-machine/ It is something the ladies do to make their hands nice and soft. The machine is made by Lady Revlon, pretty pink and the wax has a bit of a perfumed scent to it. OH MY I can't remember who told me about it, but I find that it helps. The added bonus is that my hands will get really dried out from the wet, the hot wax helps to moisturize. When I went to buy the machine the lady at the counter was telling me how much my wife was going to love me for this very special gift. I just didn't have the heart to tell her the truth. LOL I don't have a hot tub, but have a nice large bathtub that I can stretch out in (5' 9" frame so not a giant). I work nights so first thing in the morning I will jump into a HOT bath to free the back up. I can't ride a regular bike anymore because of the back (herniated L4-5 disc) so I bought a recumbent trike. It is more comfortable to sit on than any of the furniture in my house ( that's my story and I'm sticking to it) so I get lots of bike time in. The "Bent" is not a hill climber so I have an electric assist on it. My knees don't hurt riding this thing. I turn the assist power up and down according to how I feel. Great way to get some fresh air and exercise. Make no mistake here, you still need to pedal or you are not going anywhere, I get out for a ride and come homes soaked in sweat. Awesome work out. One of these freaky little things http://www.catrike.com/expedition with this http://ridebionx.com/ During the non-summer months I also go the the local pool and am in a special class for us old pharts with problems. It is an Aqua-size class but tailored to us old gimps. Does wonders, takes the the weight off the joints. I feel really good after this class. We eat very healthy at home. I have gout so have cut my alcohol intake down to zero, After 44 years of being a heavy duty mechanic, I have done damage. Over the years I have broken fingers, ribs, herniated a disc, worn out my knees, shoulders cause issues and have arthritis all over the place. I'm 59, plan on retiring at 60 (329 day but who is counting). I figure if I keep doing what I am doing, I might just make it for a few more years

  42. #42StanRUS2017-08-08 17:59

    Molten paraffin wax okay, ditch the perfumed crap! Skin is the largest human organ and easily absorbs chemicals; 7 minute shower skin will absorb the same amount of chemicals as drinking 1 gallon of water...skin absorbs by-passes our filtration systems, liver, kidneys etc. Cosmetics typically contain numerous chemicals (over 13,000+ used), some are known health hazards. Gout , main culprit is excessive sugar consumption; sugars in all forums including beers that often use high fructose corn syrup (instant action on the brain's reward center etc) and polyethylene glycol (prevents cloudiness). I've been involved with selling 'health' since the mid 90s, purchasing and developing property, designing and constructing resorts, health spas, 5-star restaurants and vineyards-wineries. Continuously studying health relates topics , mental and physical, helps with employee hiring decisions.

  43. #43Williams Marine2017-08-09 14:43

    Fall protection... Looking at a job yesterday, removing some hydraulic cylinders, few of the sizes; 3 @ 30'x 18.5 inch bore 1 @ 16' x 12 inch bore 2 @ 90' x 36 inch bore a few others in the 6 to 8 foot size. The work is all at height, the two 90 footers, elevation @ trunnions 70 feet the pick point 87 feet above finish grade. The work is above water, (high water is probably 15 feet below finish grade), but if your fall protection fails your chances of landing in the water is about 80% odds against you, as the prime contractor has a couple work barges on each side, handful of work boats, floating work platforms, you get the picture, threading the needle with wrench in hand. Made me do some reflection on it driving back to the shop. When you are still young and not busted up yet, not a big deal, reflexes like a cat, I know I felt that way 30 years ago. Different view yesterday for me on just how fast you can go from having a great day, in the zone, can't do anything wrong, to at best a helicopter ride to the trauma center. Thought this might be a good topic for others to weigh in that use fall protection, everyday, once in awhile, never, harness likes and dislikes, (taking a long, good look at my harness today, may invest in a new one). In general protecting yourself and others around you working at height.

  44. #44StanRUS2017-08-09 15:34

    Fall Protectors Yep, when working on structural steel moment frames (buildings) and becoming mandatory at most mining sites @ 6ft off of the ground. When the guys 1st walk beams, you can see their nervousness, eyes big as silver dollars; always take me a couple of days to adjust to monkey work. Hanging in a harness retrofitting joints with in place fab'd earthquake bracket. Northridge quake: 100s of high rises still not repaired! Another subject: Knee pads wear while working on construction-mining equip; slippery plastic(s) on steel. Per OSHA a person falls 7ft before the brain even registers you're falling, you'll reach approx 27mph! Rheumatoid arthritis, alternatives http://doctormurray.com/health-conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/ DHEA dehydroepiandrosterone usage; newspapers etc claim increased risk of heart attack and strokes. So is that true? Medical professionals, who have undergone literal indoctrination, may be conditioned to think in, and not question the underlying veracity and efficacy of, algorithms and standards of care. Rather than establishing opinions based on a thorough survey of the peer-reviewed studies, and diving deep into the primary and secondary literature, they oftentimes take what governmental agencies state as gospel, failing to acknowledge the insidious and pervasive conflicts of interest. DHEA usage: http://jeffreydachmd.com/2017/02/testosterone-therapy-coronary-plaque-calcium-score/ Prostate and PSA tests etc My friends are continuously harassed, so answers! http://jeffreydachmd.com/psa-screening-for-prostate-cancer-the-failed-medical-experiment/ Be safe WM et al

  45. #4592U 34062017-08-16 21:29

    So what sort of activites do you guys do to stay healthy? Its never easy to get out and do stuff when you're working 12 hours a day and then have to come home and cook, clean, etc.

  46. #46wornout wrench2017-08-16 22:48

    Healthy, who said anything about healthy I work the 12 hour shifts too, but only 4 days on. My shift is from 2 in the afternoon until 2 in the morning. I lockup when I leave, last one out. My wife is not healthy so I do most of the cooking and cleaning also. Cooking I don't mind, cleaning is my krytonite. As a result the old house is always in a state of total disarray and extremely messy. We have learned to live with it. I have to make time to look after me which is part of being healthy! In the nicer months I bike. I'm lucky on the island, I can bike pretty much every month if I want. The rain does get me down and will make me find a reason not to get out. Because of the herniated disc, I can't ride a regular bike so have bought a recumbent trike that I just love riding. During the winter months, when the indoor pool is open I am in a special fitness class for us old people that have "Issues" At 59 I am the youngest and the reason I am in it is once again because of the back issues. I can't do a regular gym at this point. I try to get there at least twice a week. This is the one that is going to keep the back from seizing up later on. I am hoping to ride my "Trike" down the Pacific Coast from Vancouver to San Francisco once I retire. Not sure if I will make it, but it is a dream. Unfortunately, I never took very good care of myself in my younger years. I liked to pretend that I was a human crane at work and other silly things, now I am paying for it. Look after yourself now, make the time to get out and do something like a pool or a gym, hell go for a walk if you can. I would write more, but I'm heading out for a ride.

  47. #47StanRUS2017-08-17 03:49

    92U 3406 check out these toys https://powerplate.com/ Combined with high intensity training you could cut your workout routine down to 3ea 30minute sessions per week. At 71yrs old I do not take any type doctor prescribed drugs, no health issues and still start the day off with 15minute walk while checking the animals before heading off to work. Breakfast 1 raw egg fresh from the nest, no lunch normally...fasting since childhood. Donate blood once per month to keep iron levels at normal, hydrate with purified water drinking from glass or stainless cup and water-lemon juice non sweetened...4 cups of black coffee daily. Use a fitness tracker, daily steps set for 8,000 = 1hr @ 4.2mph...monthly averages plus 290% 15-20K per day.

  48. #48StanRUS2017-08-17 20:51

    PowerPlate, scratch that idea; Made in China with lots of plastic and fall apart. Health tech is valid, originally used Soviets Astronauts to repair bone density loss. But the various manufactures have cheapened up their units.

  49. #4992U 34062017-08-17 21:19

    I've gotten back into running after a long break. I was too fat and it was beating my knees and ankles so I cycled to get the weight down for running. My goal was to do the half marathon next month but I don't think I'll be ready for a full 21km in time. Might enter the 5k though.