Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Heated wiper blades

RVR6000 · 2022-11-26 20:06

Can't stand stopping every mile to get out and bust the ice off my wipers so ordered a set of heated wiper blades for my plow truck at the township. I'm hoping they do the trick and just wondering if anyone else has any experience with them. Truck is a 2021 International HV. It has a very good defrost system and electric heated lower section of the windshield but all that seems to do is allow the water to run down and refreeze on the wipers. The heated wipers I ordered are from Everblade - made outside of Houghton, MI. They get their fair share of snow in those parts so figured I'd give em a try.

Replies8
  1. #1Coaldust2022-11-26 20:13

    Yeah, back in my Alaska DOT airport snow removal days. They work great. Until, the operators leave the wipers on during lunch and then, shame on the mess. It takes an hour at best to clean the black mess off the glass.

  2. #2DDoug2022-11-26 20:23

    IIRC Oshkosh put the wiper motor up top (inside the cab) and the blades swing "down" and "park" up above. Does that solve the icing issues ?

  3. #3Coaldust2022-11-26 20:29

    I think it helps, but the SOA always specs them with heated wipers and windshield. Have a dedicated alternator just for the windshield. If that’s not enough, hit the windshield deluge button. That clears it up, RTFN.

  4. #4Truck Shop2022-11-26 20:32

    BBQ when parked left on.

  5. #5Jonas3022022-11-26 22:33

    The trick is to do your best not to use the wipers when you plow not only do we not run defrost but cover the dash usually with cut off pant legs to further insulate it from heating the windshield we park outside so it takes some defrosting to get going after a few miles down the road things start to stabilize and you can start cooling the windshield off then cover it up once the windshield is cold the snow blows over there are guys that don't believe and have nothing but wiper troubles I can run the same truck for 12 hrs and not turn the wipers on I keep the cab comfortable but not hot at all don't drive with the window down and get out and full of snow as little as possible

  6. #6RVR60002022-11-27 12:14

    Yes...cold windshield method. I've tried that too without much luck. Seems to be snow blowing over the top of the plow is the biggest culprit. Looking forward to see what happens with these new wipers.....3"-7" of new snow forecast for Tuesday.

  7. #7The Peej2022-11-28 07:16

    I installed them on my F550 plow truck. I wired mine into the heated mirrors. They work amazing, should be standard equipment.

  8. #8materthegreater2022-11-30 21:42

    How long have any of you had them? I tried some by thermalblade and they didn't get very hot or last very long.