Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Heating oil for fuel

HFservicesNC ยท 2013-04-05 09:11

I had read a fourm a month or so ago about people running heating oil as the same thing as Deisle. Can't find it now. Can someone tell me how to find that fourm.

Replies14
  1. #1maddog2013-04-05 11:02

    It is, but do not get caught on the highway with it, it is colored red, so they will know. From my understanding they're doing away with it in this area

  2. #2Nige2013-04-05 11:27

    Heating oil is also generally a slightly different viscosity to diesel fuel (32 sec vs 35 sec viscosity IIRC)

  3. #3Steve Frazier2013-04-05 14:31

    I've run it in all my machines with no ill effects. As mentioned, if you run it in highway vehicles you can face heavy fines as it is tax evasion. There is technology out there today that the DOT need only shoot your exhaust as you pass with an infra-red camera to tell if you are using it, they don't have to dip your tanks anymore.

  4. #4maddog2013-04-05 14:56

    @Steve Frazier: How does that work for those that mix other chemicals into their diesel? example - someone running filtered engine oil mixed with their diesel. Does diesel additives like anti gel and such effect the scan?

  5. #5Steve Frazier2013-04-06 17:01

    The way is has been described to me is they can set up this camera at a weigh station or toll plaza and scan a truck's exhaust as it passes by. I believe it analyses the amount of sulfur in the exhaust which would indicate untaxed fuel being used. I don't know how other additives would effect this. Locally, a parts distributor in the area was caught several years ago running dyed fuel in his 3 delivery trucks. He was fined $10,000 per truck, it put him out of business.

  6. #6Bob/Ont2013-04-06 17:32

    Around here and likely at your place they go by the milage on the vehicle and calculate as you have cheated all those miles. Later Bob

  7. #7maddog2013-04-06 18:22

    I know the fines are BS outrageous, and I knew they checked for color of fuel. I was just curious as to how they'd make the call while the truck is on the move? Maybe if they catch something odd while crusing down the highway they do a more formal investigation? Oh well I quess.................THEY'RE WATCHING YOU!! Glad to know how tax money is being wasted.

  8. #8Nige2013-04-06 18:33

    The level of sulphur in the fuel is surely going to be the same between taxed fuel and rebated duty fuel because from what I know the only difference between the two fuels is the dye that's added to the red fuel. Going back years a haulage contractor my grandfather knew used to run his whole fleet (about 50 trucks IIRC) on rebated red fuel. About once or twice a year the Excisemen would catch one of his trucks and he'd get find for using fuel on the road that hadn't had duty paid on it. According to him even getting fined on a regular basis was still cheaper than using road fuel.

  9. #9IronworkerFXR2013-04-06 21:15

    I really think they just dye it , I can't see the refinery making two differnt batches. JMO. ITS all A TAX thing. that raises the question of the "home made bio fuel" Whos paying the IFTA tax on that ???????????????? PS can't wait till they charge me a CARBON tax too.

  10. #10joispoi2013-04-07 04:20

    Nige, as of 2010 the diesel that's sold for road use in the USA is now ULSD or ultra low sulfer diesel. As its name suggests, they've removed most of the sulfur. Europe has been on ULSD since 2005. Other parts of the world may still use the same quality fuel for heating and road use.

  11. #11td25c2013-04-07 08:51

    Seems like I also remember another thread on this subject but I cant find it. In my area off road diesel and home heating oil are the same. Cost is also about the same .

  12. #12AlloaExcavating2013-04-07 20:58

    Very good friend of mine owns a fuel company. When he goes to the large imperial oil depot in Toronto . Road diesel, coloured fuel , and home heating fuel all come from the exact same tank. As he fills up his b -trains with the coloured fuel and home heating oil it is the exact same colour as road diesel just every so often a large amount of the dye is injected and he can see it pass through the line.

  13. #13Randy882013-04-07 21:42

    I'd have no idea how that sensor would work, around here the fuel is dyed at the blenders tanks just like AlloaExcavating said, both dyed and non dyed are the same fuel.

  14. #14Tinkerer2013-04-07 21:43

    Here is one of them / Here is another. Post # 18 by Bill onthehill says a lot about the two fuels.