I am want to possibly take a pintle hitch trailer with air brakes and convert it to a gooseneck and was wondering if they made a hitch that was rated for 40,000lbs or more. wanting to haul a big skid steer and a decent size mini excavator. Any input would be great. thanks
A fifth wheel. What are you thinking of pulling this with?
I was thinking about an International 4900 or 8100 but want to have a flat bed.
yea they do its called a king pin it usually slides into a 5th wheel
Looks to my like the highest rating for a gooseneck is 30,000 lbs.
Convert it to a fifth wheel hitch, have a local machine shop do the converstion for you, its not that hard to do, I'm not aware of any kits available that you can order to do the coversion.
What are you hoping to gain by doing this swap? Are you overweight now with the mini and skid steer? What kind of trailer is it, Tandem or Tridem? would a trailer like this work for you?
I do not have the trailer or truck yet. I want to have a flat bed truck so the fifth wheels you guys are telling me to do are not going to work. I was trying to.figure out if anyone knew of a heavy duty gooseneck hitch because haven't found what I am looking for on the internet yet. I was planning on having a fab shop do the work.
I have seen 3" balls and couplers rated to 40klbs.
the only thing I've seen that would work is a fifth wheel. That said, I have seen what you want done 2 ways: The first belonged to a big logging outfit around here. It was a converted road tractor that had tool boxes, vise, welder, etc. up behind the cab, a short flat deck, then a 5th wheel mounted just behind the axle. Most logging equipment around here weighed about 30,000 or less back then, so he would have been pulling less than 50,000 most of the time. I never drove this truck, but I knew several guys who did, and they said it drove fine for what it did. The other one belonged to a big farmer. It looked like a regular flatbed, but it had a square plate inset into the deck. When you pulled the plate up and off, there was a 5th wheel mounted to the truck frame under it. He had a lowboy with a higher than normal goose neck, then the king pin was mounted to a boxed section that came down off of that. OOps, I said 2, now I've thought of a couple more. A welding shop had a short tractor, and they had a flatbed with a king pin on the bottom that stood on 4 removable legs. They backed under it and hooked up like a trailer, then pinned it to brackets on the frame to keep it from rocking and turning. Also, there is a thread on here trucks that are convertible from tractors to dump trucks. I'm sure you could do similar, but that is probably more trouble than you want to go to. On another note, I would lean heavily toward the 8100. I have owned a couple of those, and a single axle 8100 would not be working to pull 40,000; where a 4900 probably would. Good luck, and keep us posted, Mitch
We haul a skid steer and 5ton mini on a pintle hitch with no problems. If you got the right trailer, why wont a pintle hitch work?
It would just prefer the maneuver ability of the gooseneck.
The oilfield guys have addressed this problem a couple different ways, popup kingpins on the truck or flip over 5th wheels. Any way you go it's gonna take a good bit of fab work on the trailer, but if your starting with a tag anyway... Oh, and there's some farm equipment that uses a 110mm ball hitch, but if DOT ever figured out where came from they'd prob throw a fit.
ill 2nd going for a bigger truck than a 4900 unless you can find something better than the dt530E. I pull my 6 horse trailer and flatbed gooseneck with it and I can't tell its back their weight wise until it hits a hill. Then keeping speed is a pretty serious problem.
I've looked at going with a tag axle trailer and welding on an upper deck so I can pull it with the highway tractor. Why? Well, tag axles go dirt cheap around here, whereas tandem or tridem's with beavertails go fairly high... Andrew
If you are set on a ball style coupler the only one that I know of is made by Holland Hitch and it is a 5" ball rated at 80,000 pull and 8,000 lbs tongue weight.. The advantage of a fifth wheel vs a ball is the tongue or vertical load... We used the 5" ball on a 2 axle "pony " grain box for years..A creative weld shop could make one into a goose neck style...BH-50 is the coupler number..
Do you have any pictures of the 5in ball system
BH-50 hitch. http://ww1.safholland.us/sites/usa/en-US/products/couplingproducts/couplers/Pages/BH-50.aspx
If you were to go with a fifthwheel set up , recess the fifth wheel and put a removable cover over it . Make the neck a bit higher to allow the king pin to go into the recessed area to grab the wheel.. You have flat bed still and a good strong coupling for trailer also..
You can use a 5th wheel upside down on the trailer, and put the king pin on the truck. I have this on my gooseneck. It's not full sized, it's a 30K holland 5th wheel, but there's no reason you can't do it with a full sized unit.
Nice trailer with this picture. Just wondering what is the size of it?
I have one that i did. It was a pintle hitch trailer. I built a neck and changed axels to electric brakes. The are cheap here to but when i did my trailer i needed one now and there were not many goose necks around.I have worked as a welder so it wasnt to costly but if i couldnt do the work the cost would make me look around.I am looking for a biger trailer now and have seen 2 pintles ceap i may do it agin. One thing to keep in mind a neck welded to a trailer that was a tongue hitch will need alot of work to keep it from brakeing were neck is welded. The front of it will be under a new big stress that didnt happen before.
http://www.bartlett-equip.com.au/couplings_127.asp would this be your 125mm/127mm/5inch ball