This is my first thread so please bear with me haha I'm looking into taking a Heavy Equipment Operators course, with most of the training hours focusing on Excavator operation and hopefully I can get in some time on a Dozer and Wheel Loader. The reason I'm posting this is because to take this course I'm applying for money from the government since I'm currently laid off(I do paving in the summer but am looking to get out of it in a hurry) and I have an application package to fill out, detailing the financial and job prospect aspects of the career I'm looking to be trained in. I need to interview 3 employers of heavy equipment operators and 3 employees who run heavy equipment. I've had a chance to peruse the site for a few days and I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to answer about 9(employer) to 14(employee) questions for me. There seems to be a great deal of knowledge on this site so I figured this would be the place to find out the answers to my questions. I'll post up the questions here and if you want to PM me your answers that would be great since I need your company name and your name. When it says occupation or position, it could just be general heavy equipment operator. Employers: 1. What specific skills are needed when you hire someone in this occupation? 2. Do you offer on-the-job training in this position? 3. Are there entry-level positions available for this position? 4. What is the starting wage for this position? 5. What type of training or education do you recommend for this position? 6. What are the current job opportunities in this industry for people with training? Excellent, good, average, fair or poor? 7. Are there opportunities for advancement in this position with your company? 8. Is there an increasing demand for skilled persons in this position? 9. (Miscellaneous questions) Shift work? Yes/No Seasonal? Yes/No Benefits? Yes/No if yes, which benefits? Part-time/Full-time Hours per week Employee: 1. What is the title of your position? 2. How long have you worked in this position? 3. What are the duties and responsibilities of this position? 4. Did you receive on-the-job training when you started? 5. Did you attend training to become skilled in this position? 6. If you had an opportunity to start your career again, would you do anything differently? 7. Are there opportunities for advancement in your job? 8. What is the current starting wage for your position? 9. Are uniforms or other special clothing items or tools required for this position? 10. What are the working conditions of your position? 11. What do you enjoy the most about your job? 12. What do you enjoy the least about your job? 13. Can you recommend books or other types of resources that I can study about your position and industry? 14. Any other comments? Thank You very much to anyone who has time to help me out, if you want to provide some insight to me but not through these questions please feel free to do so.
I've got 2 of my employer and 2 of my employee ones done, so if anyone can help with those last 2 I need that would be great. Thanks
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums jlaroy! :drinkup