Hello, does anyone know the steel compositions used in different equipment such as dump trucks, bulldozers, loaders, and excavators? I am interested in understanding the types of steel used and the quantity of steel plates involved. For example, in excavators with a total weight of 8,000 tonnes, the steel content is 90% while the remaining 10% consists of other materials. Within the steel component (90%), what are the types of steel, such as plates (40%), tubes (10%), etc.?
Welcome to the Forums DJ. Please only create one thread on one topic. I am going to move this one to General Industry Questions and close the other one. Thanks
I worked at a place that made excavator attachments and booms etc. A572 steel was used for many of the parts. For engines and transmissions gray iron is used for main cases, blocks, heads etc, sometimes nodular iron can be used, more modern stuff can be CGI. For high strength parts alloy steels can be used like 4340, for gears and such. Shafts and such can be from 1045, 1053 and other such steel alloys.
There could be many different types of steel used on an 8000 ton excavator. I think draglines have mostly gone to cold weather steel as standard equipment where it used to be optional. Lots of cast steel parts too I would imagine.