Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Heavy equipment training and experience

Dirtriding4life ยท 2010-05-20 14:16

Hello, I am a Valyermo Hotshot and am interested in getting some sort of dozer training or attending a school in my area during 10-11 fire off-season. In case you don't know where Valyermo is, (no one does) its near Palmdale, Ca. I have hopes of becoming a dozer swamper and eventually an operator for any fire organization. I have been looking into West Coast Training. How is their program? Are there any others that would be closer to me? I have had people tell me to find somewhere to volunteer my time to hopefully get some time on a dozer. Would any business let a complete rookie touch their equipment? Thanks for all your help. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I'm also interested in getting my class A drivers license.

Replies4
  1. #1td25c2010-05-20 19:43

    Howdy & welcome Dirtriding4life.My sister & brother in law are both Hotshot fire fighters in Lompoc Ca.There fire training was very intence so my hat is off to ya Dirtriding.I'l ask them if there is a program for dozer training & reply in the near future.I do know most of the dozers & operators are private conrtactors working the fire line.Might send member OCR a private message,He has fought fire for years and can give you some better insight on your question.And yes,go ahead and get your class A CDL,you will need it.

  2. #2td25c2010-05-21 21:09

    Got a chance to talk whith my sister a short while this evening Dirtriding.She said the forest service dose offer training on dozers and the forest service also has some dozers of there own.They do hire allot of contractors to work whith there own dozers as well.Sister also tolled me they have a "fire boss" who go's ahead of the dozer & helps guide the operator and looks out for hazzards along the way.And a "swamper" who helps fuel & attend to the dozer.You would be starting out as a swamper.An important thing sister noted was if the dozer "boss" & "swamper" had a good relationship with the operator,He will let them operate awile.Good luck DirtRiding http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/people/hotshots/IHC_hist.html

  3. #3Dirtriding4life2010-05-27 03:05

    Sorry it took me so long to get back. I don't have a computer at my station. Anyways, I understand there are operator positions for the Forest Service. However, to even be a swamper you need to be a full time employee which is a completely different subject. My plan is to use the Forest Service as a stepping stone. I did find a school from a friend that I believe I will be taking this winter. Does any one else have any insight? Thanks for your response.

  4. #4Dirtriding4life2010-10-09 17:57

    Sorry to bring back a thread from the dead but I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with Deep Creek Construction school in Apple Valley, Ca? It seems like a good school that would fit my needs. Thanks for the help.