I am in IL, I move industrial machinery, and have two semi tractors and a few trailers. (and smaller trucks, crane etc) Now I am thinking perhaps to get a capability to move heavier stuff, such as get a tri-axle 55 ton RGN trailer. That RGN weighs about 22,000 lbs. This means that with a 50,000 lbs load I would be 88,000 lbs, overweight by 8000 lbs. Even my 47,000 lbs Grove crane would make me about 5,000 lbs overweight if I use this RGN. My questions are 1) How difficult is overweight permitting in IL? 2) Do I have to have legal axle loadings (bridge formula) to get overweight permits? Or can I have axles overloaded if I disclose it on the permit? 3) Anyone knows good permitting services in Illinois? Thanks!
IL isn't bad. Most states are all online anymore. There will be a chart with their routine issue axle weights and as long as you stay within them you're good it's just a matter or giving them dimensions, axle spacings etc and paying them. Here's some bathroom reading for you..... https://truckpermits.dot.illinois.gov/