Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

hein werner c14 recently acquired with problems

caleblandon ยท 2015-08-13 10:23

I recently acquired a hein werner c14 when I purchased some land the equipment was in trade for no electric on property I need to use it to run lines for solar power neighbor won't give easement for grid power I was going to fix excavator little at a time but our house caught fire 3 weeks ago and we were.forced to move there early so I went ahead and started using it a few hydralic lines have been replaced engine runs good and strong but hydraulic system is weak and I noticed a new leak from undercarriage. I checked that leak last night it seems as something is missing. It is at the front part of the machine just in front of the boom also while using it last night I notice a leak from what appears to be from bell housing but it looks like watery oil I'll post pics any help is greatly appreciated I don't know if I should scrap it or if it is worth fixing thanks again

Replies8
  1. #1GregD12015-08-13 22:26

    Well the first picture appears to be the master clutch between the engine and pump transmission. The second picture appears to be the center manifold. Neither one require a lot of technical expertise to repair, not to say it is a piece of cake to reseal. I don`t know about parts, or being able to match them up with a supplier if you have something local.

  2. #2Rob Gunn2015-08-14 13:52

    This is what I can tell you about my old hein werner c14. Its old, its heavy, its slow, its loud, its ugly and it leaks oil like a spaghetti strainer. BUT it starts and runs every time I need it on the farm. You aren't going to make a living with a old piece of equipment like this but as long as it starts and does the job that is needed then just keep on going. I am sure that one day mine will have a major breakdown and it wont be worth fixing but until then, I just keep adding fuel and oil and keep on digging... When the day comes to scrap it then I will probably break even in scrap price for what I have in it. I win!

  3. #3caleblandon2015-08-14 19:43

    Rob I found out oil goes in the master clutch and water had gotten in to it I scratched off the paint from the cover and it says to put in 90w but it says to fill to breather vent but I don't see one do you know how much oil goes in it. And since you have one do you know if something is missing on undercarriage Greg said it's a manifold. You can see it from the top right in front of boom but under it right behind lower platform which is the second pic I took the bottom piece is loose but lines up with upper looks as if a shaft or something goes in between them . Thanks for the info

  4. #4caleblandon2015-08-14 19:45

    Also rob do you know what oil goes in the pump tranny

  5. #5GregD12015-08-15 10:19

    You might want to read that decal again. There shouldn`t be any oil in the clutch bell housing. the pump gear box should be gear oil.

  6. #6spitzair2015-08-18 02:11

    Something doesn't look right to me in your second picture. Those two small hydraulic lines are case drain lines from your drive motors and they look like they've either broken off the center swivel or were removed by someone. Are we looking at it from underneath the machine or from on top? I have a C12HD and it also has case drain lines coming up from downstairs and they come right out the center of the swivel joint on top, not sure about underneath, I've never had the urge or need to crawl under there yet... I agree with GregD1 on the oil, unless it has a wet clutch there should be no oil in the housing. Chances are that is why your hydraulics are weak because the oil got into the clutch causing it to slip under load. For what it's worth the machine is relatively straight forward when it comes to repairs. The engine is a simple Detroit Diesel power unit and clutch that could be used in many applications. In my 4-53 manuals it actually gives descriptions, repair instructions and part numbers for industrial power unit clutches. My guess is that either the rear main seal on the engine or the input seal on the pump drive is gone, letting oil into the clutch housing... Your machine would have a 6-53 so my parts book won't be much use to you unfortunately... The pump drive unit will most likely be a Funk transmission (it is on my c-12), they were fairly common units so parts should be easy to find. I can tell you too that if I had to choose just one of my excavators to keep it would be the Hein Werner! Reason being is no fancy computers, sensors or other electrical stuff, no pilot system, just good ol' honest simple and reliable. Yeah they're slow and old but they will do the job and not ask much in return, just a little love here and there.

  7. #7Rob Gunn2015-08-18 11:03

    Oil in the clutch? I would say no to that. I do have to admit that I just now realize that you have a C14 and mine is a C12 so I shouldn't say that I know a lot about your machine. However, I would assume that the c12 and c14 are similar. As spitzar said, these machines are relatively straight forward. I will have to see what my manual has for the oil that goes in the pump gearbox, I am sure there is a spec somewhere. I would assume something like 90W gear lube. The photos that you have at the start of this link actually dont look that bad to me. Its your equipment and if you want to make it look and run like new then that's cool, but I wouldn't worry about the little seepage that you are showing. Just my 2 cents worth.

  8. #8caleblandon2015-08-18 13:30

    The machine is a little rough but not that bad but cylinders are also leaking a little at the seals and I think either something in the cylinder is bleeding by or pumps are weak not very strong hydralic system right now and so far the track on the right side drive sprocket is worn and let's chain slip. I have a mechanic from our construction company coming to look at it but I know there is nothing like this in the fleet. Some of the track idler are bad also. The clutch maybe slipping but under load it really pulls engine. I'll post more pics. Also sometimes when you boom up it also crowds at same time as occasionally crowd pedal is very delayed