Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hello

ol'stonebreaker ยท 2015-04-26 16:24

Stumbled on the site and decided to join. I've retired and been away from the gravel refineries for about 13 yrs. The oldest jaw crusher I ran and worked on was a 1941 Birdsboro- Buchanan 48"x60". It was supposedly the last one made before war broke out. What a monster!! It was unique in that the frame was in 4 sections and bolted together,IIRC, w/ 2 1/2" bolts, all babbit brgs w/ a double toggle. Jaw plates were in 4 pieces. All the rest of my yrs were on portable plants w/ all different makes of jaws, cones, impacts and screens. Incorporated a pugmill quite a bit while open pit mining in Nevada. It's probably pretty much standard now but not many yrs before I retired they came out w/ slide beds for conveyors. Best thing that ever happened for an under jaw conveyor!! Greatly reduced chance of ripped belt caused by slabs, rebar and drill steel. First one I had was under a 30x42 Allis. A piece of drill steel went thru the jaw and by unfortunate luck hit the belt right right on the angle transition joint of the slide bed and went thru the belt but didn't rip it mainly because the conveyor frame was dog legged and the belt couldn't run very tight. After we got the steel out and started the belt, which was loaded, of course the head pulley was spinning in it. One of my new hands, who'd worked for Kennecott in Utah said " throw some water on the head pulley". I said "are you nuts?". We did and it spun for maybe 30 sec, squalled a couple of times and took off like it was empty. I never would have dreamed of doing that!! Thanks for letting me join, Mike

Replies3
  1. #1grandpa2015-04-26 17:23

    Welcome to the forum Sir.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-04-26 20:45

    Hey howdy hi neighbor :drinkup

  3. #3repowerguy2015-05-06 21:36

    Welcome stonebreaker! I cut my teeth in a slag plant 30yrs. ago that had a 15x36 Lippman Rock Ram busting scalp rock and a 12x36 Cedarapids busting up extra 1s and 2s . Carried home a pound a day of slag on me to wash down the shower drain! Wildest rig I've worked on was a grey market Nordberg Citicrusher, it should have been left in France. After I got the electric controls in order it was'nt to bad of a crusher rig ,just dangerous because it would throw 1s out the feed end if it ran empty.