New guy here hoping to learn from the pros. I don't currently own any equipment, but have ran mini skids and excavators over the years doing work around my property. I'm kicking around the idea of purchasing some equipment and starting a side business on the weekends, with hopes of growing it into something I can do full time. Currently work in corporate America / technology specifically and hate it. Money is good, but I'm miserable outside of that. I have a friend that owns a constructions company that said he'll pass along work which would be nice to get started. Still researching and trying to put together a plan, but my initial thoughts would be to buy a track loader, dump trailer (kind of a 2:1 one starting off) and truck. My half ton isn't up for the task unfortunately. I think I could keep pretty busy with grading and make good use of the versatility of a track loader to pick up work. Would appreciate any advice for someone like myself considering getting into the business! Thank you, Todd
Welcome. I'm unclear on what you mean by a track loader. Are you talking about a tracked skid steer or full blown steel grouser track loader ? The reason I ask is, I think you could do more with a rubber tire loader. Unless you're working really loose soupy slurry material, I don't see the advantage of track I'm sure some of the other guys will be by to share their experiences and suggestions
Thanks for the reply. Correct, bad terminology I suppose. I just meant a skid steer with tracks. I’d say terrain is unknown depending on the job and only having one machine to start, the tracks would give me the ability to work in any condition. At least that was my thinking. I realize the added cost and maintenance of the tracks. Thanks again this is exactly the type of feedback I’m looking for! Todd
they are not cheap, but they are versatile. If that is the kind of work your friend will kick you then that is the piece to get. It is easy enough to rent a mini when needed. Speaking of renting, how about dip your toes in this idea by renting for a few jobs? If you can't make money by renting a piece, then you have no business doing the job. Remember that.
Yes, his work would just be grading for the most part so I could probably get away with tires vs tracks. Any negatives to tracks other than cost and maintenance? Renting could be an option for sure. Accessibility of having my own machine would be nice. The rental place is open on Saturdays but not until 8, by the time you get loaded up you’re not out of there until 9 and starting work at 10. Then, trying to get the machine back Monday morning during my full time job could be difficult depending on my schedule that day. And I figure I could always sell it if things didn’t work out. If you had to get one machine would it be tracks or tires? Thank you
At a certain loss. If "pride of ownership" is that important then go ahead. Your iron? your repairs. your downtime. That is the real "pride of ownership". Rental? never your problem. bring me out another, please, this one quit working. pick up the iron Friday after work, or have it delivered. If it is a Mon--Fri rental yard, that is often only 1 day of 8 hours. If you go over the 8 it is prorated. Just consider that idea. This also means you get to try out tires vs tracks and different sizes, rather than guess at it or have us guess at it. Need a bigger machine this time? You are not stuck with making yours work. I've seen a lot of people come and go and lose their butt along the way. I guaruntee that won't happen if you rent for a half dozen jobs, unless you give your work away.
Welcome to the HEF, ToddR82! Good to have you. I don’t have any advice. I have a young friend doing exactly what you are proposing and he rents. Most of the time, he requires the customer to rent the machine and have it delivered on-site, ready for him. He just uses a pickup with a slip tank. No significant depreciating assets or gear to maintain.