Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hello From Colorado

northboundtrain ยท 2007-05-22 23:40

Found this site a few weeks ago. Finally got around to registering. I recently got my little JD 110 backhoe and truck and have been trying to put them to work (only way I can keep 'em ). I figured that this machine would be a good one to learn on and that I'd soon learn what's the right machine(s) to have if this one isn't it. I guess I've run up against a few of it's limitations -- namely that it's lightweight, and not nearly as manueverable as a skid steer or mini ex. But it has been a good little machine for most of my jobs so far. Just kind of wondering where to go from here. Right now I'm only getting about 15-20 hrs of work per week average. Perhaps with more marketing I could get more, but I wonder whether it will ultimately require different equipment to be able to keep busy full time. Anyway, glad I found this site. I'm sure I'll learn a lot. . .

Replies9
  1. #1Bob Horrell2007-05-23 00:04

    A tip for the 110. If you haven't already filled your rear tires, then you need to do it. It adds 550 lb per tire and makes a huge difference. The backhoe will still pick up the rear with ease so you can spider walk over trenches etc. Fill them with the valve stem at the top and fill to just above the top of the rim so the rim inside is completely covered. Use anti-freeze (about 10 gal. per side to prevent freezing and rust) in the water. You can buy a fitting that screws on to your hose with a schrader valve on the other end and a pressure release button on it so you can let air out as you are filling with water. You need to keep an air space just above the top of the rim and will only need about 13 lbs of air when the tire is filled with liquid. To get the anti-freeze in you can pour one gallon at a time in an empty hose and then force it in with the water pressure. Be sure to let pressure out of the tire as you fill with water and anti-freeze so you don't overpressure it. You can tell what is going on by watching the tire side buldge.

  2. #2Countryboy2007-05-23 21:14

    Welcome to HEF northboundtrain! :drinkup

  3. #3northboundtrain2007-05-23 22:42

    Bob, Thanks for the tip. I can see that another 1,100 lbs would help a lot. One question: what happens if you spring a leak? I guess if you catch it soon enough then you can save most of the water-antifreeze, but otherwise if you had to repair the tire in the field could you operate the machine with one tire full of water and the other with only air?

  4. #4Bob Horrell2007-05-23 22:49

    I use the plug kits you can buy from WalMart. They are cheap and work well. When you get a leak (it is easy to find when there is fluid in the tire), rotate the tire until the leak is at the top. Then pull out the nail etc. and use the plug kit. My last tractor had 32 plugs in it when I sold it (more than half in the rear tires with water and anti-freeze) and none of them ever leaked. With the low pressures used in tractors, they never leak. I have made emergency repairs to my trailer and truck tires using the plugs, but then get a good patch as soon as I can because of the high tire pressures.

  5. #5812harleys2007-05-24 19:21

    Hi there, I am newly registered as well and this is a great site!! We used to fill our back tires on a skip loader way back when in California and it would really make a difference when pushing dirt. We have a 4400 green John Deere with a loader bucket on the front and a hoe on the back and the hoe is really strong but the swing in terribly fast on it. I think it is about the same size as the 110 or close to it. Alot of people here in Southwest Colorado use that Calcium, It's pretty heavy and won't freeze either!

  6. #6northboundtrain2007-05-25 10:11

    I was wondering how you can tell how full the tire is. If it stays pressurized while filling -- letting out the air as the liquid goes in -- then does the tire really bulge out? Also, where do you get the garden hose to schrader valve fitting? Thanks

  7. #7Bob Horrell2007-05-25 23:05

    I got the fitting at the local auto store (carquest). I think Napa also carries them. If you fill it on a summer day, you can feel the water line on the tire because it is cool below the line. You can also hear it when it gets above the schrader valve as it starts to make a bubbling sound.

  8. #8northboundtrain2007-05-26 09:10

    Alright, thanks. Perhaps I'll give this a try. This little machine certainly needs all the help it can get.

  9. #9equipment fan2007-05-26 11:39

    welcome to the forum:notworthy