Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hello from Olympic Town!

esobofh ยท 2010-02-19 12:15

Greetings all! I've been pretty active the last few weeks reading and posting but never took the time to introduce myself... I'm probably an odd sort to be on these heavy equipment forums, considering that I am a Senior Business Analyst for a telecom company. Most of my days are spent reviewing financials, negotiating contracts, responding to multi-million dollar RFPs, and the like. So you might be asking, what am I doing here? Well, when I was a young boy, my father owned a backhoe, dozer, and a dump truck. I have extremely fond memories of running the backhoe with him - driving the truck behind him when I was only 10 - and being his eyes and ears on the ground. It was his and my dream to make a new company "Last Name & Sons" contracting that would include my brother and myself working alongside Dad to build a name and reputation. Long story short, a divorce and several moves later I went off to live with Mom in the city. I continued school, went to college, started working... things moved fast and I now have a fantastic career at a good company. Have you ever heard the addage.. "if you want to know what you should do in life, ask yourself what you would do if you won a multi-million dollar lottery, and then do that (minus the lottery)." Up until recently.. if you had asked me that question I would have given you a fairly typical response.. "buy a dream house, buy a big yacht.. travel the world, etc". But in the past few months I've been thinking about my father (who is still an equipment operator.. he doesn't own anymore but runs machines for a company) my brother, what we're all doing now, and what makes me happy. And I found myself saying.. "if I won the lottery, I'd buy a fleet of beautiful excavators, trucks, and dozers and put dad to work for me, have my brother and family all working together". And it dawned on me that I finally had a real, meaningful answer to that question about what i'd do if I won the lotto. So.. here I am. I haven't actually one the lotto.. but I have pretty stable financials, excellent business acumen, and the resources of a very experienced and skilled operator at my disposal. What better way to start a company? The first step (I figure anyway) is to learn.. so I've been reading these forums, doing alot of research, talking to people - costing machines and attending auctions, browsing Craigslist for hours on end. I havent' ditched my "real life" yet, but my eyes and ears are open for a good deal on some equipment, and networking with as many people as I can regarding opportunities for jobs and the like. This site has been a fantastic resource and enjoy every minute reading the posts. Hopefully I can contribute with my minimal knowledge and experience, and perhaps my business experience can lend a hand to others in need. So a big Hello to all here.. and keep those posts coming!

Replies5
  1. #1John C.2010-02-20 12:26

    Welcome to the party. Whats the fastest way to make a ten million dollar company in construction? Start with a hundred million dollars. Hope you win the lottery.

  2. #2DKF2010-02-23 20:19

    I am a new member as well.....I bet things are really hopping up there in B.C. right now.

  3. #3esobofh2010-02-25 11:03

    Hopping, and set to explode here after the olympics.. i figure this would be a good time to get into the business alot of machines around, and sales, auctions etc.. we'll see what happens!

  4. #4Dwan Hall2010-02-25 11:57

    You may also try to find a established CO. to buy. just take over as the new owner. Makes for a big shortcut. By the way welcome to our little corner of the world. Just that it is not a little corner any more.

  5. #5excav8r2010-02-25 16:41

    Haha it seems every career uses that joke lol my g/f is in horses and she is trying to get a barn so she can move her clientele to her facility instead of training people out of someone else's facility and a family friend who is into horses and has major major money said to her "the best way to have a million in horses is to start with 10" hoping this does not ring true for her sake lol.