I have a 226 cat that has a thrown rod, I need to locate a replacement engine, I'm wondering what perkins motors will bolt up to this machine?
Good luck, you find a spare i would like one too lol. i had one that threw 2 rods ( knocked/wore a hole in the oil pan ) and the best deal i could find was, New motor $10,900 Rebuilt motor $7800 Used with NO warranty $6200 FOR A FREAKING SS MOTOR i couldnt believe it, so we ended up welding/turning the crank because a new one was $2500, still had to buy 2 $300 rods though.....basically I shoulda parted the machine out. Pj
I don't think this motor is salvage able, I do have a motor that came out of a 1740 case that is about the same demensions and equal hp, i"m thinking about trying to retrofit this motor. any suggestions would be appreciated.
the only suggestion i would have on that motor swap would be......dont waste your time lol. i imagine it would be a real PITA but if a guy is left with no choice go for it. why is the motor non salvagable?....a good shop can peice together almost anything. Pj
That seems outragous even for CAT. I cant believe that a skid steer motor would cost 10K. I can get a reman. CASE for under 4K with warranty.
Yup that sounds about right...I used to work for toromont (division of cat) and we replaced a few skid steer engines and they were around the 10 k for a new one...
I'm tellin ya, i couldnt believe it either. i even called back and got a different parts guy because i thought the first one was to dumb to look up a damn engine.....turns out the second one musta been dumb too....even called another dealer. dumb parts guy again lol I finally come to the conclusion that the parts guys were o.k. but CaT was just ignorant. Pj
10 grand .... ironplanet has several 226 starting 7 grand... don't know what they will go for ,,, but it's a start..
I got the skid steer in My Shop and will be pulling the Motor, after I get the Motor out I plan on tearing it down to see if it is salvagable, if it is I plan on rebuilding it if not, I will probably put that motor out of my Case in it, I won't be out anything but my Time and this is more of a hobby for Me than anything else?
they had head gasket issues that the head gasket would blow out to the #1 cyl push rod galley, still run good untrained ear could hear it. pump exhaust thru the crankcase, plug the oil filter and take out the engine...seen hundreds of them, former cat dealer cce foreman here. the new engines are around 12,000 new.