I've got a 2000 863G with 1079hrs...I've put 29hrs on it since I bought it...today I was pushing with the root rake and all of a sudden she idles way down...working the throttle had no effect...it would barely stay running. So I shut it down and opened the engine compartment to check...everything looks fine, no leaks, nothing loose. Started it back up and it runs rough...won't take a throttle and slowly dies...sounds like a V8 running on half the cylinders. Anybody got any thoughts. The fuel tank has been drained, and the timing belt replaced about 10hrs ago...it was getting dark, but I raised the cab and everything looks fine
Sounds like you may have a fuel delivery problem Wanabe. Did you happen to look at the rubber fuel primer bulb and see if it was sucked flat?
It could be that little pita fuel pick up tube.
Yep, it wasn't...loosed the drain on the filter and pumped fuel through it with the bulb...i guess that would work. I did run over a small chunk of wood and got a good bounce right before all this happened.
I was thinking it could be the pick-up tube...but will fuel still be flowing through the filter?
If you have good fuel flow while working primer bulb, unlikely the pick up tube is broken. Don't forget the obvious...is fuel filter clogged? Aside from that, you're lift pump could have coincidently crapped out. Insure fuel filter is good (change it, very few bucks), start engine, throttle up so engine runs rough, pump the crap out of primer bulb. If it seems to run a little better when operating primer bulb, likely lift pump has gone south.
Damn, lets say it is lift pump...where the hell is that thing...i don't see that in the manual...another name for that?
fuel line comes from tank to primer bulb. fuel line goes from primer bulb to fuel filter. fuel line goes from fuel filter to lift pump. fuel line goes from lift pump to injection system.
You had me worried ATCO...lift pump sounds like $$$$$$$$$$....fuel pump sounds alot better...thank you for the quick replies...I'll check those things tomorrow.
Well, got home this evening and took the filter off and pumped fuel through the line, put filter back on and bled the air out, turned the key and she started right up, ran around back and grabbed the fuel bulb in case it tried to die...she sputtered a little but cleared up when I pumped the bulb. I ran her for about an hour without any problem...go figure!! ATCO, I'll say it again "YOU DA MAN"...ever thought of working on these things full time...HA HA!!!!
Oh brother...if you only knew. These dang little critters seem to have a way of finding me no matter where I go. Bah ha ha hahaha :tong
Sorry to jump in here, but admin wont let me start a new thread. We have a Bobcat that runs for 15 min, then the fuel filter stops working. I think it's overheating(?), so after 10 min of rest, it works for 5 min on and off for the rest of the day. Any ideas? A buddy told me to either put in a heat shield or move the filter to another sidewall and bolt it down so its away from the engine. The fuel filter is fairly new. Any ideas? Thanks! About me: just moved to Indiana, helping my wife start an organic farm. From California, so you know I never learned how to work on equipment. Maybe if I get some help I can come back!
Welcome to the forum nickjohnson. First of all, what model Bobcat? Second, I doubt the fuel filter is overheating. In all my years working on Bobcat machines I've never once seen that happen. Have you replaced the fuel filter? You stated the machine runs for a few minutes, then stops running. At the moment it stops running, you need to open the back door of the machine and see if the rubber primer bulb in the fuel line prior to filter is sucked flat.
It's a 742. Perhaps its the fuel pump then? I can hear the fuel pump clicking before I begin work with the key engaged. Then, after it stalls (and gets hot) the pump isn't clicking when I turn the key. It happens over and over. We replaced the fuel filter with a 'generic' version to perhaps see if that was the problem. Should I put the old one back on and see how it runs? There isn't a primer bulb in the line as far as I can see. Thanks, SM!
I'm another new guy here and cant post a new thread yet...i have a 743 that i just rescued from five years of sitting....i serviced it all out and fixed a few leaky hoses...theres one problem with it it has a bit of hydraulic noise to it kind of like im getting air in the systemit seems to have good lift power but it has that feel and sound of hydraulic chatter any thing i missed when i serviced it with new oil and filter?
Welcome to the forum Fritz. Not really sure what your problem would be. Typically, changing the filter and some hoses doesn't cause a problem like this, but I suppose it's possible you could have some entrained air in the system. It should eventually work itself out, but will take some time because the Bobcat hyd system is not a return to tank return system. Instead, return oil is sent right back to the pumps, drive and work equipment pumps, the reservoir simply keeps the hyd circuit full of oil.
I read in here that it might be a motor going out. I too have some 'growling' going on when I make tight turns in my 743...I have to give it more gas to keep the 'growling' down. another problem Ill get to as soon as I can keep the damn thing at least running.
Fritz, Welcome to the Forums. As Atco says there could be air trapped in the system. One way to make it go away is to move one function, say your arms, all the way up and keep holding the control for a few seconds before letting it go. Then lower your arms all the way and keep holding the control for a few seconds. What this should do is to push whatever air is in the cylinder past the seals in the piston and work it out of the system. Once you've done that a few times, do the same on the bucket circuit. Make sure your reservoir is full to the correct leve. Does yours still have the two bleeder screws on the side of the reservoir to check the level or does it have a dip stick? If you have the two bleeder screws you should have oil coming out the bottom one for sure, and you'll want to fill it up so that it just starts coming out the top one. Nickjohnson, Welcome also! I'm not sure if the 742 has a fuel pump that should be clicking. If it's the same as the 732 I have with the Ford engine, it will have a mechanical fuel pump on the left side of the engine under or near the carburetor. There is an electric fuel shutoff valve in front of the engine and what you might be hearing is this fuel valve dying. It might be clicking open and closed and once it gets warm fail in the closed position not letting any more fuel through. The one on my 732 failed and I've just got a strait piece of tubing in there now. As far as noise goes when turning the machine, yes it is a lot noisier when the engine is running at lower RPMs, nothing to be worried about. On edit, is it a 742 or 743 you have? I noticed in your second post you said 742 and the last one says 743... I have no experience with the 743 but would imagine it would have the same fuel shutoff valve. Somebody with more brains than me will let you know for sure. Hope some of this helps you guys out!
Thanks for the help guys...i guess i was a bit impatient after running it a while longer last night it went away seems to operate better now.....now if i can get that new v twin kohler stuffed into my old 310 bobcat and get it sold ill be in business!
Nickjohnson, Welcome also! I'm not sure if the 742 has a fuel pump that should be clicking. If it's the same as the 732 I have with the Ford engine, it will have a mechanical fuel pump on the left side of the engine under or near the carburetor. There is an electric fuel shutoff valve in front of the engine and what you might be hearing is this fuel valve dying. It might be clicking open and closed and once it gets warm fail in the closed position not letting any more fuel through. The one on my 732 failed and I've just got a strait piece of tubing in there now. As far as noise goes when turning the machine, yes it is a lot noisier when the engine is running at lower RPMs, nothing to be worried about. On edit, is it a 742 or 743 you have? I noticed in your second post you said 742 and the last one says 743... I have no experience with the 743 but would imagine it would have the same fuel shutoff valve. Somebody with more brains than me will let you know for sure. Hope some of this helps you guys out![/QUOTE] Its a 742...and I dont see a fuel shutoff valve. where would it be? And the fuel pump is actually located on the right side next to the main inline from the tank. is it in the wrong place? someone else suggested an overheating issue may be causing the fuel filter to 'turn itself off' to protect itself. what about that?
Its the 742. I dont see the fuel shutoff valve anywhere. where would it be? Also, the fuel filter on mine is actually on the right side, next to the main gas inline tube. Is it in the wrong place? someone else suggested perhaps the fuel filter is shutting itself off to protect itself because its overheating for some reason. it has to be heat/gas related due to the patterns it is showing. thanks!
sorry to jump in atco but my 743 that i just purchased has more problems......it seems the oil pan has a crack across the bottom of it about 8 inch long from front to back right across the unused oil drain plug in the middle ( ya dont ask me...maybe water got into the motor while sitting and it froze and cracked pan??? there was no water in the oil when we drained it) the engine runs fine but did start leaking pretty fast after i ran it for a while....my question is will the pan come off with out pulling the engine?
Oh man, it's been so long since I've worked on a 743, I can't remember how the oil pan lays in the belly of the machine. If my memory serves me correctly, I think the engine on the 743 is oriented from front to rear instead of sideways like later Bobcat models. And I seem to remember there is a coupler between engine and pumps. If this is correct, I don't think it would be a big project to remove the engine and perform the repairs on the pan, you don't even have to mess with hyd pumps. On later models with sideways engine, you have to remove motor and pumps as an assembly. But I could be completely wrong about this. Just don't remember for sure.
fuel trouble best off looking for a screen someware in the system, inlet for the lift pump, inside the lift pump, banjo fitting on a fuel line, crud in the tank blocking the pickup (good trick for that it to put some MIG wire inside the pickup tube which will stop rust flakes blocking the pickup) could also be the lift pump not giving enough flow
Hello again Nick, On the 732 the electric fuel shutoff valve is in front of the engine, where you can't really see it unless you stick your head way in there. It is against the wall where the fuel line goes. Why they would put it there I have no idea. Your fuel filter is in the right place, right beside the fuel tank inline with the fuel line, that's where it is on the 732 as well. It shouldn't have any way to shut itself off as it isn't electric. Of course it could be different on the 742... I do have a full service manual for the 740 series I can dig out if you like and take a peek and see what it says. My computer is out for repair right now, got a nasty virus in it so I'm using my dad's right now and can't scan anything right now. I can also try to take some pictures with my iphone of the 732 and post them up here if that helps. We'll get 'er figured out yet!
did you check the breather line at the fuel tank, clogged breather can affect the fuel supply.
well i hoisted up the 743 took the plasma cutter cut a square out off the bottom plate to expose the pan welded the crack and welded the plate back in.........back in business everything working great (fingers crossed)
my 873 did something similar and it was the fuel pickup dropped off. could also be injector line leaking.