Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help choosing compact wheel loader

s2dm ยท 2018-03-06 10:12

Hey All, We have a small farm south of Santa Barbara and need a small wheel loader. I have a SVL75 track loader that just isn't strong enough for some of what we need to do, and I also occasionally need a strong forklift for moving things around the property. We got hit with the floods, so we have around 2500 yards of dirt to move, as well as a bunch of big sandstone boulders. I've had an excavation company out helping, but its just pricey enough that I'd rather buy a machine and keep it and log some hours myself. Looking for the smallest machine that will do the job as my wife wants to be able to operate it as well. Originally we were looking at 300 series Deeres, but a few folks told us Deere parts get harder to source after the machine is 25 years old. Lately been looking more at CAT IT12s or IT18s in the 4k hours range. Any thoughts on whether that would be a good choice and how much bigger an 18 is to operate vs a 12? Any other machines we should really consider?

Replies5
  1. #1Welder Dave2018-03-06 13:16

    As far as operating, there isn't a big difference between a smaller machine and a larger machine. 2500yds. is quite a bit to move. I think something in the 2-3yd range would be a good starting point.

  2. #2heymccall2018-03-06 15:05

    My 544g Deere machines are pushing 20-25k hours each. All original transmissions. One took an engine at 22k due to running after the harmonic balancer fell off. Doing municipal size sewer projects in the rolling hills of Pennsylvania, I've had to replace brakes and seals every 8k hours or so, but, I'd bet that I don't have more $5k in repairs, on each loader, to get to that number (save for an $7k engine on the one.) Never had an issue with getting parts (they're 1993-95 models). BTW, I'll never sell mine, but, used ones are in the $25k range, if you look hard enough.

  3. #3heymccall2018-03-06 15:07

    If your in California, aren't you restricted, by emission rules, on what you can buy?

  4. #4s2dm2018-03-08 09:12

    thanks for the replies. I believe the emmissions laws are only on the machines being used for commercial work. We are private homeowners, using it partially on our farm, but mostly on landscaping our residence.

  5. #5John C.2018-03-08 19:52

    I think I would take a closer look at the emissions law in your state before purchasing. It was my impression that it included every machine being used for anything. My book shows about 5,000 pounds difference in weight so I would guess you looking at around 2,500 pounds more lift capacity on the IT18. Those machines usually are kept for a long time so finding a machine in that hour range is kind of doubtful. Price wise you are likely in the range of $20,000 to $25,000 at retail for a lot higher hour machine. Good Luck