Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help identify this air pressure noise please!

Minnesota Eric · 2021-04-06 19:31

Heavy Equipment Techs and those in-the-know, can you help me identify this air noise coming from somewhere under the starter on a DT467? It sounds as if something is spinning and the pitch changes at the end. I'm clueless as to what this is. Thanks for any help!

Replies20
  1. #1sled dog2021-04-06 19:48

    starter

  2. #2Dave Neubert2021-04-06 20:27

    does it stop when air gets down if so maybe a relay valve for the brakes

  3. #3Minnesota Eric2021-04-06 22:19

    Starter? Can you unpack your idea further for me because I'm confused as the noise seems to be air pressure related, but the engine was off and still the noise persisted for several minutes afterward. The noise does sound as it something is "spinning," but that is my impression only.

  4. #4Minnesota Eric2021-04-06 22:24

    Yes, as the air pressure bled off, it eventually stopped. At the endow the video, the noise changes pitch and the spinning noise seem to drastically slow down. I did not have this noise last year, and this is the the second time I started this machine, the first being when I discovered my right front tire blew its inner sidewall (two new front tires are now on order), Today I discovered this new noise after fixing a frozen throttle pedal and likely for the first time in any number of years, the engine was able to be revved up to the redline. After shutting the engine off, I discovered this new noise and was confused. Maybe something froze in the winter and cracked? Clueless at this point and wondering if I shouldn't run the engine until i discover the issue since I can supply the machine with shop air where its is at.

  5. #5Coaldust2021-04-06 22:40

    First thing I would do is rule out the starter. I think the starter is spinning. Like 80% sure. Turn the battery switch off and see if it stops. if it doesn’t have a battery switch, it should have one.

  6. #6Dave Neubert2021-04-07 08:37

    If it is the starter then your battery's would be dead put shop air to it hit the brakes and see if the sound changes other than that get under it and start feeling all the air lines

  7. #7kshansen2021-04-07 09:04

    To tell if it is the starter spinning take a large screw driver or old broom handle and place it on the side of the starter and put other end near your ear and if it spinning you will hear it very clear. But then if it was the starter you would have a burned up starter and dead batteries by now! Or maybe use garden hose to spray some water around where the sound seems to be coming from it should make it easy to find the source.

  8. #8Birken Vogt2021-04-07 09:52

    If it is not the starter, then I am wondering if it is a gross air leak with a piece of gasket material or something in the middle of it vibrating like a kazoo.

  9. #9Coaldust2021-04-07 14:05

    I’ve seen starters hang up and eventually disengage on their own. Maybe, Minnesota Eric got lucky this time. They don’t always melt down, but yeah, sometimes they do and that’s a great way to burn down a piece of equipment. I strongly recommend provisions to quickly disengage that battery.

  10. #10Tinkerer2021-04-07 15:32

    Hook up a shop air compressor in the discharge side of the machine's air compressor and charge the system. If it is an air leak you will find it quite quickly. I would guess it may be the water auto drain at the bottom of the air tank. A short hose held up to your ear and probing around will find the noise whatever it is.

  11. #11Minnesota Eric2021-04-07 15:44

    It is currently raining cats and dogs and kitty-liter today so I have not had a chance to go verify what everybody is suggesting. In all my years of working on light trucks, cars, power-sports, boats and stuff, I've never seen or heard of a starter hanging up like this and running and running, but listening to my own video, that's got to be it. I had air brakes on the mind when I jumped out and first heard the noise and didn't even think about hitting the battery disconnect. Now I'm wondering if I need to R&R the starter or if I can just pull what I assume is a stuck solenoid or actuating arm? I guess I won't know until the typhoon stops raining outside and I can check to see if the starter even works. Oddly enough, the batteries have at least enough juice to run LED lights as later on in the day I was working toward getting the lights to work/and how much of the stock, rotting wiring harness I need to rebuild.

  12. #12grandpa2021-04-07 18:23

    Well not to rain on your parade, but I hope it rains two more days. Not much snow and no rain til now.

  13. #13Minnesota Eric2021-04-10 02:37

    Aren't you in luck since it still hasn't stopped raining! got 3.5" so far with more to come, LOL! For everybody: You're all correct; it was the starter running away. When I purchased this Pay Loader it had a brand new starter installed—like the only shiny new part on the whole shebang! I also got a second, mystery starter that looked like the original that came with the machine that had a brand new solenoid on it. As it has continued to pour frogs outside, rather than pulling the broken (new) starter, I chased the old starter into Terry's Auto Electric in Bemidji. There, Henry explained to me that with 24v systems it is common for the solenoid to get stuck with low voltage batteries or weak grounds. Since my batteries are a year old, I'm inclined to rule out weak batteries—however, while the battery disconnect was disconnected (and I know that I have a draw somewhere when it is connected on this old girl) I do have a pair of Harbor Freight Viking battery chargers, still connected with one on each battery, that had been keeping the batteries topped up over winter (because I'm not pulling those heavy things out if I don't need to) that had not been plugged into wall power since I moved the machine and popped the right front tire (since the whole thing is sort of in the middle of my driveway). Anyway, I will confirm a nice clean ground circuit, but I'm guessing that the battery chargers may have drawn my batteries down when they are not plugged into wall power or my alternator took a cesta over the winter to lower my battery voltage. Regardless, I'll get to the bottom of it if it ever stops raining. For now, what looks like the original starter with a new solenoid has now been reconditioned with a new armature, new commutator, bendix, bearings, as well as a shiny black paint job all for $380ish. Henry at Terry's Auto Electric warned me first though suggesting that a former owner likely bought a new solenoid thinking that was the problem only to find out the starter itself was shelled.

  14. #14Coaldust2021-04-10 05:12

    Appreciate the update. Glad you figured it out and it didn’t cost too much to repair.

  15. #15grandpa2021-04-10 08:43

    Heck, I use him as well.

  16. #16Minnesota Eric2021-04-13 13:23

    My buddy Mark and I snuck the new starter in before the snowstorm hit. Considering the weather, I don't think I'm going to get new tires this week and I still haven't started the machine to check the charging system out as it has been too cold. So my Hough is still sitting in the middle of my driveway.

  17. #17Minnesota Eric2021-04-13 17:15

    BTW, can anybody shine some color on this 24v alternator?

  18. #18Coaldust2021-04-13 17:43

    I’m going to guess that’s a Delco 27si 200 series. Probably 65 amps.

  19. #19Minnesota Eric2021-04-13 18:08

    That sure does look like it. Do you happen to know if it is internally regulated? From the photos I have of mine and looking at rebuild, it looks like the goofy flippy thingy on mine is the regular! Am I wrong? Pretty inexpensive as well on Amazon. https://amzn.to/3g7SxgV Anyway, for those trying to find the part number in the future, International 9100-9900 Series Detroit Diesel 60 Series 1992 - 1996 International Hough H-65C Diesel 1975 - 1979 International Hough H-80B Diesel 1975 - 1979 International Hough H-90E DVT-573B 1974 - 1979 International S Series 6.9L 1985 - 1987 International S Series 7.3L 1985 - 1987 International S Series 9L 1985 - 1987 International S Series Cummins L-10 1985 - 1987 International S Series Cummins NTC 1985 - 1987 International S Series Detroit Diesel 6V-71 1985 - 1987 International S Series Detroit Diesel 6V-92 1985 - 1987 International S Series Detroit Diesel DT-360 1985 - 1987 International S Series Detroit Diesel DT-466 1985 - 1987 Terex TS-14 4-71N 1976 - 1978 Terex TS-14B 4-71N 1976 - 1978

  20. #20Coaldust2021-04-13 21:22

    Yes. Internally regulated.