Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help identifying engine

Coaldust · 2021-02-04 16:05

Normally don’t start threads. Need help identifying this engine. I think it’s a marine engine due to the close proximity to the Pacific Ocean. Some penetrating oil and hopefully I can get it to turn over.

Replies23
  1. #1Coaldust2021-02-04 16:16

    A different view and more recent picture.

  2. #256wrench2021-02-04 20:30

    maybe its a compressor?

  3. #3Willie B2021-02-04 20:44

    Simple! It is a crustifarious secretion with crab stuffing. I'm not even sure which end is up. Four cylinder, overhead valve.

  4. #4Midnightmoon2021-02-04 21:03

    FL342 Boat anchor

  5. #5petepilot2021-02-05 00:14

    whatever it is-was it`ll take a lot of pb blaster to get it apart

  6. #6Vetech632021-02-05 02:14

    I believe that is a old natural gas compressor.

  7. #7Coaldust2021-02-05 03:52

    I was just joking around, but got to thinking more about this rusty stain on the beach. It has some of the characteristics of a Atlas-Imperial such as the individual cylinder heads and the large openings in the lower crankcase. I don’t see any other antique three cylinder diesel marine engine options of this size and vintage. Old Tacoma Marine has some info.

  8. #8Truck Shop2021-02-05 15:10
  9. #9OFF2021-02-05 16:39

    you gotta wonder how something that heavy ever washes up on a beach. But then if you've ever turned your back on the ocean and been pile-drived by a wave, you kinda know the answer.

  10. #10Coaldust2021-02-05 17:40

    Cool advertisement!

  11. #11Coaldust2021-02-05 17:54

    Can’t find any old info on ship wrecks at this spot. The entire area was part of the Parker Ranch before Boise Cascade purchased the land in the 70’s for what is now the Waikoloa Resort. The compressor theory is intriguing. The closest natural gas source is 3500 miles away and there hasn’t been any heavy industry or farming (besides beef) on the Kohala coast. No sugar cane. The Waikoloa area had a large military presence after WWII. The Former Waikoloa Maneuver Area is near by. It could easily be a relic from that time period.

  12. #12lantraxco2021-02-05 20:03

    Obviously the original owner was Noah, used in the Mark 1 ARK vessel.

  13. #13Truck Shop2021-02-05 20:07

    And obviously the Mark 1 sank.

  14. #14lantraxco2021-02-05 20:22

    Actually no, beached and left to rot if the story is true.

  15. #1592U 34062021-02-05 23:47

    I once found a 350 Chevy block and crank in the middle of the woods while out mountain biking. Always wondered how that ended up way out there?

  16. #16Willie B2021-02-06 08:34

    Some wife was bitching about the eyesore, so her husband toted it way out in the woods where he was pretty sure she wouldn't find it. I won't say how it is I'm so sure about that.

  17. #17cw4Bray2021-04-19 22:33

    Just guessing and probably way off base. Four valves per cylinder. Maybe a Detroit 3-53 series ? It looks like a generator on the one end and maybe an air compressor for starting large diesels, an anchor winch on the other end or a bilge pump / fire pump.

  18. #18Coaldust2021-04-19 22:57

    I forgot about this. I talked to the nice fella at Tacoma Marine, who specializes in Old Atlas-Imperials. He’s probably the best resource in the world on them. After chatting with him, I’m convinced it’s an Atlas-Imperial. I found a cast part number on an intact cover that matched up to a common part number in three different parts manuals. But, couldn’t identify the specific model. Plus, being a west-coast Seattle made engine, in Hawaii made sense. Especially since quite a few old wooden, west-coast boats powered by Altas engines ended up in Hawaii.

  19. #19Coaldust2021-04-19 23:00

    BTW, That’s not a gen-set. That thing that looks like a rotor is a planetary transmission. It’s got a short section of bronze prop shaft attached. At first glance, I thought it was a generator rotor, as well.

  20. #20skyking12021-04-20 01:36

    you got me thinking about my first crane job and the Atlas gas 6 cylinders in the old Lorain. I can't find out anything about them. Maybe Atlas rebadged something else.

  21. #2159 North2021-04-29 22:16

    About all I know of Atlas engines is I remember my father speaking of this brand of engine. He attended a diesel school on the east coast in the '30s. I'm looking thru a book he had -- Diesel Engine Plan book and Catalog vol 2,-- 1937. Has information, pictures and descriptions of some of the Atlas Imperial models, and also, article about them building their first diesel in 1915, using one of their existing Distillate engines as a foundation. Believe some are still in service.

  22. #22Coaldust2021-04-29 22:28

    That’s cool!!

  23. #2359 North2021-04-29 22:52

    Thanks! There are Engines and manufacturers listed that I've never heard of.