Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help Identifying this Detroit powered hole digging equipment

CThemRollinBCD · 2025-04-06 18:21

We bought this piece of equipment yesterday and need some help identifying it. The engine model, axles, transmission, hydraulic pump, hydraulic drill mechanism. Any component that you see in these photos and even closely identify would be greatly appreciated. I could find no legible tags on anything. I can get additional, specific photos if you ask and I’ll post them here.

Replies12
  1. #1Vetech632025-04-06 19:20

    Engine looks like a Detroit 4-53N.

  2. #2JaredV2025-04-06 19:36

    Coleman axles, maybe?

  3. #3B&B2025-04-06 19:37

    Are the wheel centers hub caps? Could have a brand logo hiding underneath. Can you get some lower shots of the axles as well as closer up on the drill motor, possibly a logo might be under the aluminum cooler on the rear shroud

  4. #4CThemRollinBCD2025-04-06 20:08

    I did see there was a data tag on the engine here in black.. but of course I don’t know what any of it means just yet. Great! 4-53 looks like a real good lead on what it is. Coleman axles, I’ll take some additional photos of under the caps (I believe you are correct they are just veneer caps) I’ll peek behind the shroud and see if there’s anything to shed some light on it. I’ll also get some better photos of the drill assembly. I’ll get some pics of the trans too. The front (I assume front) output yoke seal is leaking pretty good and the 4wd engagement lever right next to it is looking haggard. It seems there’s 3 speeds. With a valve to actuate forward and reverse. I have a video up on my Facebook page of it’s fire up and first functional test. My name is Beau C Clark. It was sitting for 4 years and fired right off.. I was impressed and will be buying another Detroit engine! It sounds way cool.

  5. #5Acecadet2025-04-06 22:37

    I think Champion may have made that rig. Found one for sale on Craigslist on the Oregon coast. Looks just like it. What are you going to use it for?

  6. #6Joe H2025-04-07 00:26

    What is it, or what did you think it was when you bought it? What's it supposed to do? Joe H

  7. #7CThemRollinBCD2025-04-07 12:24

    I'm unsure what it was when it was produced, I am also unsure if it was something that was even "produced". It could have been a rough terrain forklift or one off purpose built. It seems like its designed to drill holes in the ground, but to what width / depth I'm not quite sure just yet. The one on the Oregon coast is the one we bought. I think the seller just put that name on there as a placeholder, he had no idea who made it when I asked him. I plan on drilling some holes in the ground with it.

  8. #8Acecadet2025-04-07 13:05

    Still very cool way to put some posts in. Wish I had something like that for the U.P. clay and rock around my place. The old 3 point auger takes a beating around here. I was kinda thinking it looked like something Pettibone out of Baraga, MI would have put together back in the day. They made all sorts of odd duck equipment in the 60s and 70s. Today they make mostly mainstream equipment with a few exceptions.

  9. #9CThemRollinBCD2025-04-07 13:38

    @Acecadet For sure, would be a great post hole digger. I had found some Pettibone stuff that made me think it might have been produced by them. But I couldn't quite find anything that had the same components (engine, trans and axle setup) I was so impressed by the Detroit that I am going to go on a mission to locate another one for another project.

  10. #10HATCHEQUIP2025-04-07 14:01

    Is that back hitch plate as close to the ground as it looks in pics. I wander if its not been repurposed the oil coolers have been added. Would be interested to know what it was, I first thought of a old concrete breaker like a old Bros or Arrow they laid their mast back like that.

  11. #11skyking12025-04-07 14:29

    with that rotary action and if it does downpressure, you could adapt it to screw in short continuous flight auger pilings. Go into an existing building and shore it up for remodel, etc.

  12. #12Vetech632025-04-07 18:39

    Post a couple of pics showing the front end and mast