Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help identifying Unit Dragline and Shovel

racolton ยท 2012-02-09 16:02

Hello, I visited my grandpa's place again and took more pictures of the Dragline and Shovel I am thinking of buying, but I still haven't been able to identify what the exact model number is. I'm *guessing* they are 614s because they look a lot alike and that's the only model number they have in common on the plate in the cab, but I'd like to know for certain so I can start tracking down manuals and parts lists for them. I have tiny pictures attached to this message, but you can see the huge original pictures by going to the page I created for them: http://www.thecoltons.org/unit

Replies11
  1. #1racolton2012-02-09 16:04

    (End of Dragline pictures) Shovel pictures:

  2. #2racolton2012-02-09 16:07
  3. #3thepumpguysc2012-02-09 19:52

    Being from Milwauke as the name plate says, I would guess Waukashaw engine? as far as the actual equipment model goes, I dont have a clue.

  4. #4ror76a2012-02-09 20:24

    I am aobut 80% sure they are 614 or 617s. Are the counterweights smooth or do they have ribs cast into them? There is a plate with the model and serial number on the top of the gear box next to the cable drums. If the plate is missing it should be stamped into the gear box in this location. The engine is a Detroit Diesel 3-71 in the dragline, 2-71 in the shovel. One nice thing about Units is that most of the models used a lot of the same parts, and they changed very little from about 1948 to the mid 70s.

  5. #5D&GExcavating2012-02-09 21:49

    Just make sure the rack is free on those detroits before you try to start them. Or have the intake ducting unhooked and have a 2x4 ready

  6. #6dannyboy9502012-02-09 22:26

    Man I will go along with the makeing shure the racks aint stuck. Nothing like a GM winding out into oblivion. An experience one wants to have only once in their life time.

  7. #7D&GExcavating2012-02-10 11:28

    Luckily I haven't had to experience that yet, but i've heard stories from the old timers of parts flying off, sparks and hot pieces of metal flying out of the exhaust, and the engines just completely flying apart.

  8. #8racolton2012-02-19 01:46

    Ha, I finally found the model plates! The dragline is a Unit 617 made in 1959 and the power shovel is a Unit 614 made in 1952. Does anyone have some documentation on these? Maintenance manual, parts diagrams, etc? Many thanks!

  9. #9ror76a2012-02-19 18:59

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIT-CRANE-...73473?pt=BI_Books_Manuals&hash=item5adf50d601 Here you go. If you are in need of parts, give John Robertson a call, check out his web site: http://www.unitcraneparts.com/ he has the remaining NOS parts from the factory.

  10. #10racolton2012-02-22 13:45

    Talked with John today - great guy who seems to really love these old Units. I should have an owner's/parts manual within a week, thanks ror76a!

  11. #11UnitCrane5142012-04-02 16:18

    I also have manuals too these machines on PDF file, I could have saved you some money and sent them to you over email for free. I have a Unit 1020A Dragline with a 3-71. It used to be gas but the old owners put a Detroit in before they sold it to use. My email is [email protected] ask me any questions, I know these machines inside and out! Put up more pictures, id like to see the controls in the shovel.